Register now to get rid of these ads!

reverse opening hood/ trunk

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shawns49, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawns49

Shawns49
    BANNED

I am planning on doing this to my 49 when I get to that stage and was wondering if anybody has or has plans on one or suggestions for any I am all ears and eyes to learn and build........Thanks in advance Shawn

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

A rear hinged trunk lid is about as handy a ball bearing tipped rubber crutch!!

3. Shawns49

Shawns49
    BANNED

then I guess you don't know how to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Nor do you, if you have to ask.

5. spuds

spuds
    from Idaho

I think he knows how he chopped the top.
    He was looking for some ideas......on the HAMB:D

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to believe that John was actually saying was a reversed trunk lid is and would be one of the most impractical things that one could put on his or her car. It's done on lowriders fairly often because it earns X number of show points to outpoint the competitors in the class.

Decide to go out of town a couple hundred miles to a show and take your significant other along with her suitcase, makeup case, two lawn chairs, the cooler and your tool bag an guess what, every damned one of them gets drug over the fender into the trunk. First time she reaches into the trunk to drag one of her bags out and drags it across what ever finish you have on it the war is going to be on.

It will no doubt impress the mouthbreathers but in the long run it will be a royal pain in the ass.

7. Slimmey

Slimmey

I'm not familiar with '49's but you might look into '63-67 vette conv. Rear deck hinges. I have a set and have thought about using them for such a conversion. They mount vertically, trying to remember the deck lid configuration on the '49. Just thought of '57-60 fords also. Just a thought.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Got pics Shawn? Why would you want to do it anyways? Jus askin...

9. Mojo

Mojo

I was looking at 80's saabs at the pick a part. Simple hinges for a reverse opening hood. A reverse trunk lid would be the biggest pain in the ass IMO.

10. docmike

docmike

I think I better go back and read the OP because I missed the part where he asked for opinions if it was a good idea. I thought he was asking if anybody could give advice on how it could be done.

Doc

11. Well so he did. Kudos. I do have to agree with the idea that a bass ackwards trunk is a bad idea. I'm not a big fan of modifications that serve no purpose. If it makes it better looking, faster or function better, then go for it.

12. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yep ,you may impress someone and show some good engineering skills but practical no Fn way. Now front hinged hood is a whole different deal ,have had several cars that way and only down side is it sometimes makes radiator access a bit hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.