Register now to get rid of these ads!

1936 Ford 5 window coupe project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Powerplant, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Thanks for the compliments....

I'm working on selling one of my other vehicles which will help out my funding and possibly help move things along a bit faster.

I had hopes of using the old frame for mock-up in my soon to be frame table to aid in the construction of the new frame. When the body came off, the old frame about fell into two pieces. Looks like I have to build the new one by just using frame dimensions or brace the old one so I can at least get it up on the table and position my stantions where they need to be. I wanted to use the rear crossmemebers from the old frame but they are shot from what I can tell.

2. carbuilder

carbuilder

Who made the frame rails how about a picture of the other side.

3. Bit more done. Fabbed up a body cart and a frame / chassis table, the rails just sitting there until I can figure something out.... see below...

Question for you chassis guys (or anyone for that matter I guess): My original frame measures 28" wide at the front and the Wescotts chassis dimension shows 28 1/2. I'm not sure what to do... right now I have the stantions holding the front of the frame at 28 1/4" wide as a compromise unless someone here tells me different.

Attached Files:

4. I have a super nice original frame I can measure tonight when I get home from work...

5. 28 1/4" outside measurement at the very front of the original Henry frame horns...hope this helps. Jr.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  6. Great find and good start on your 36. I used to have a 36 Ford 5 window coupe but sold it in 97 and still regret it.

7. Thanks!!

8. carbuilder

carbuilder

How long to get the rails after you ordered them.

9. If I remember right it took over a month to get them after I ordered them. I was in no hurry though so it didn't bother me. I saved a little by having them shipped to my work which has a loading dock and a forklift so I didn't have to pay a gate fee.

10. Can anyone recommend a rear axle?

I'm looking for something used and don't want to mess around modifying anything. What vehicles may have something I can steal from to use a stockish wheel / tire setup?

Second hand is my first choice but I've also considered a Winters nostalga quick change also.

11. Up for the evening crowd.... any input to the question in the last post?

12. Bart78

Bart78

66-77 bronco

13. ^^^^^ Or '57-59 Ford, if you can find one. These are the easiest swaps in terms of being the correct width. I went with a '71 F-100 w/ the 5x5 1/2 bolt pattern to match the '40 front axle; also has bigger bearings and brakes. Had to take some off the left side to center the diff. and tires in the fenders. Can't beat the 9" family for strength.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
    tjrhusker likes this.
  14. Thanks

From the looks of your avitar .... you must have a 5 window also?

15. Chassis is taking shape. I know... not to HAMB friendly by deciding not to use the straight axle up front, I've fretted over this for awhile but the mustang II won out.... we'll see. I've used a triangulated 4 link on my last 2 projects and I wanted it on this one in case I decide to bag it. For now I'm sticking with the idea of making this more a hot rod than a custom. I hope I have my ride height in the rear close enough.

Please keep in mind that stuff is just tacked in there and I do plan on adding some gussets to the front and rear suspension in some areas.

Anyway... here is where I am at with the fab...

Attached Files:

16. jfrolka

jfrolka

Ahh damn i was hopin to see a straight axle frontend... At least its gettin a nailhead... Are you going for a hotrod raked look or taildragger look?

17. Hotrod.... I just now need to find the right wheel / tire combo. I went to Jefferson WI last week with high hopes but didn't find anything.

18. Thanks man... this helped a bunch. I know a guy locally that deals a lot with older Broncos. He happened to have an extra axle laying around. I have the housing tacked in and ready to go.

19. Chassis welded up, cut loose from the table and rolling.

Attached Files:

20. Oh yea.... I found some wheels and tires to use for now. If I decide to use them I'm getting rid of the red and going with black on the wheels. I'll update to better looking tires as time goes on also.

21. Sadly... no

I've been busting on a 78 Honda CB750 I've been turning into a cafe racer. Trying to get it finished so I can have some fun with it this summer.

22. Ok... after a stint working on motorcycles for awhile I've got that out of my system and started back on this project. Rust repair... patch pannels... floors... all on the horizon. Now if the temps here would just calm down I'd really get going. Some progress the last couple nights... marking up patch pannels and cutting off the rusty crap it's going to replace.

Attached Files:

23. more

Attached Files:

24. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

Go baby go! Taking notes!

25. I am not far behind you...looking sharp! Hang in there!!!

26. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Pretty sweet build you've got going, I've subscribed.

I too am in the process of putting together a 36 5W,although I'm going for a more traditional style by keeping everything stock.
    My plans are for lead sled style with skirts and lower rear stance.

Here's a picture of mine as she sits currently.
    [​IMG]

27. Little more done...

Attached Files:

28. Look'n good! Keep it up, I hear these cars are worth it.