Register now to get rid of these ads!

White walls tires & mag wheels-traditional?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrchevrolet2, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Cortney

Cortney

BINGO!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. hallrods

hallrods

I'm 50 years old and don't remember any of this but my father is still active in hot rodding and he tells me about what it was like back then. He said hotrodding was always changing what was cool in the 40's wasn't cool in the 50's and so on. By the mid 60's ww were ethier out or much smaller. The thing he thinks is kind of weird today is you could build a 40's style build with 50's styled tires and late 60's styled rims and its okay that's traditional. I know you could find pictures to prove my point wrong but that car that proves me wrong is most likely in a transition stage and today is a streetrod or a ratrod. I like them all 2 doors 4 doors how ever a guy builds them. I think most of the controversy starts with the traditional only shows everyone has there own vision of tradition. I'm lucky the reason I started on the hamb is I found my fathers car he built in 1959 and I'm working with him to put it back to about 1965 I know the ww were already on there way out by then but this is the memory of this car that I most remember. Maybe someone will tell me know one did it that way back then. Anyway make it the way you want it ww and mags were done in the day might not have been the most popular at the time but looks good now and it is traditional.

3. F&J

F&J

Good point on that particular car. It sounds like it was changed by him, from the way it was in 59, and how it was in 65.

I have the same issue with a rough car I just got. The builders son sent 2 color slides dated Apr 1960, and the chassis has a banjo Ford rear then, yet the car then got an Olds rear, but when?. He said the car was used on the road and at least one Autorama, but his Dad took it apart for a redo? So, I don't know if the banjo was more than just a mockup, or if it was ever used. Not a big deal, but individual car history gets cloudy in 53 years of neglect.

by the way, it still has the 2 original front tires on painted 15" steelies. They are at least 2" wide, and I'd bet he bought them new, by looking at the minimal tread wear.

4. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

this thread needs to be closed, all this is doing is bringing fucking drama to the board. we have covered the subject before, Guys ran white walls and mags "back in the day" as for todays hot rods with mag and white walls.......its simple.. if you dont like it, keep your mouth shut, its not your car.

5. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Hey DipShit...take a chill pill..
    And yes I as well as a lot of other guys that were driving and growing up around the "Older HAMB Friendly" cars do talk a lot about how great this forum really is...and that is exactly why I said the below quote...
    Which seems to have gone totally over your head...
    And yes we too talk about the good old days, as a lot of what we did, or in my case hung around guys that had a few $$$ was to build these great old real hot rods.

6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If Big Daddy did it...it must be cool.

7. burt21

burt21

To each thier own. What you don't like the other guy will like. If it was'nt for people mixing things up what would the hobby be? times change and things change!

8. chromeazone

chromeazone

Looks like poor tfever fell out of his rocker again ! Maybe he just missed his meds this AM. Tell your avatar fantasy nurse to put on CARS again, because that is what we real hot rodders watch in our spare time when we can't get someone to roll us out to the patio ! DUH !

9. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

So I guess we can call Volkswagens traditional cars also?? I'm sure guys Rodded them . I guess I'll find another 30s 40s and late 50s period traditional "hotrods" forum.

10. chromeazone

chromeazone

This may not be the forum for the discussion, but VW's are very traditional and soup-up-able! They are how SCAT industries got started in Inglewood, CA. SCAT was very innovative and there were many 9- 10 second Bugs (Empi Inch Pincher comes to mind). They appealed to Geeks and South of Border types (BIG VW Plant in in Puebla Me He Ko, south of Mex City).
    I was working for Superior Industries in Van Nuys in the '60's and I had to install a set of headers on a Bug. That was all I ever wanted to do with one of those things. Mags for Bugs were just getting popular.
    (Don't tell Der Fureher I said that !)

11. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Before you leave you might want to make sure the next forum accepts repop bodies like Brookville or PRYOR. Some guys might think those aren't tradional.:D

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19, 20 2014

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Black sheep rodders. Gary

Attached Files:

13. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

Lol

14. Is this gonna be another one of those threads that gets shut down because some folks interpret traditional different from other ... oh well, add another to my post count!

15. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

16. db300

db300

The VW bug has been around since 1937...and first officially imported to the states in 1949....not sure how that French car build stays here but you can't post a pic of a Watson painted VW....

Just sayin....

17. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Lame, skinny whites, red lines or dual stripes belong on mags. Wide whites are for steelies in my opinion. But I'm more of an early 60's type guy so wide whites aren't my first choice unless they are period for the build.

18. I'm gonna have to call Pat out on this one. You are a Hell of a fabricator, but Bugs are cool! and I never thought I'd say this, but I really dig that French car as well.

19. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

That's damn funny right there....

20. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

A few more.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19, 20 2014

Attached Files:

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Soon, all this will end.

22. slammed

slammed

23. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Now that's nice

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19, 20 2014

24. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Regardless of which side you land on in this argument, Gimpy nailed it with this comment in his earlier post.

There will be casualties...

25. b-bob

b-bob

I never ever saw www on mags on the west coast, seemed to be more of an east style I guess.
    Mags were more of a racing look and www were on street cars, That being said no one ran www on chrome wheels much either. But I like this look now.

26. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Meltdown drags
    july 19, 20 2014

Attached Files:

27. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Meltdown drags
    july 19, 20 2014

Attached Files:

28. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

II Funny stop trying to rewrite history! It's obvious all those examples are photoshoped and didn't really exist!! :eek:

29. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

:d

meltdown drags
    july 19, 20 2014