Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom 50 Ford convertible in Maine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 67wagon, Aug 26, 2013.

1. 67wagon

67wagon
    from Maine

This car is in Gardiner Maine, I thought I would share a couple pics

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  2. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

Wow, that car is beautiful..

3. 67wagon

67wagon
    from Maine

Yes! its got an all aluminum Ardun with a blower

4. mlewis114

mlewis114
    from Omaha, Ne

Incredible. Any history?

5. jerseymike

jerseymike

6. 67wagon

67wagon
    from Maine

Well, it was just finished about 6 months ago,the car was built right here in Maine and the fellow that owns it has a very large collection of cars, a lot of flat heads and convertibles. The car has been photographed from just about every angle and will be in a few magazines I'm told

7. Nice car, but is it just me, or is that blown Ardun in a custom just wrong?.....

8. 67wagon

67wagon
    from Maine

Here's a few more pics

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  9. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Personally, I'd say it's just right.

10. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

You gotta be kidding!!!!!!!!!! What would you suggest?

11. deanopopino

deanopopino
    from Troy, MO

Small Block Chevy outta a Corvette (actually a 305 smog motor dolled up) :D:D:D

12. Ford - check
    Ardun - check
    Blown - check
    Custom - check
    Convertible - check

The only changes I'd make are the headlights and exhaust tips... Everything else is perfect... Like in crazy perfect... like in why would anybody else bother building another '50 Convertible, perfect.

13. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

14. Eric H

Eric H

I would be glad to have it in my 51 vert. Lol

15. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The only change I'd make is removing those small "teeth" from the 56 Dodge grille bars, Everything else is so smooth that they just seem a little out of place. Its one of the prettiest cars I've seen in a long time.

16. Well,,,,,,,,,there has always been a big difference in East Coast and West Coast Kustoms. I like most Kustoms. I also really like 49-51 Fords. I can see there was a Ton of work and a Large Visa bill done on this Kustom. Somehow it just plain missed the mark for me. By the way, I do like the Arden part of it. It just looks to me like it was built in a 1 car garage where you couldn't stand back and see what you were doing. I mean really, rectangle exhaust tips under the bumper on a round classic?
    The Wizzard

17. 67wagon

67wagon
    from Maine

Well guys thanks for the feedback ,good and bad, I pretty much did all the metal work and most of the design work, though allot of the design was done on the fly as I went along. The car owner had a few ideas and some were used and some not. This is the first "custom" that I have ever attempted but I had a lot of input from a few people as well as a lot of googeling the web. I have done a lot of chops and a lot of other mods on 30s to 50s cars over the years as well as a lot of chassis fabrication, I have well over 2000 hours into this car,there isn't one piece that hasn't been cut moved and re-shaped, A ton of parts were made from scratch My brother in law and a buddy did most all of the lead and mud work and the final assembly was done by the car owners shop. It had been awhile since seeing the car and I had kind of forgotten about it and moved on to other projects..... but a few weeks ago the owner contacted me to be interviewed for a magazine write up and a short video. After seeing the car completed with nice paint and interior I thought it looked pretty cool,(all of my pics of the car are in bare steel) oh and I didn't have anything to do with the exhaust tips :) When I built the rear bumpers I made sure there was room enough for the exhaust to exit out the bottom of them under the peaks and be totally hidden. This project was a lot of fun and I learned a lot while doing it! The car did win the builders choice award and the award of excellence at the Goodguys east coast nationals 2013

18. Wow,,just Wow! :eek: HRP

19. the-rodster

the-rodster

67wagon, the craftsmanship looks top notch, you should be proud.

That said, the car is kinda over the top. I mean there must be $50K in that motor alone.

The exhaust tips must GO.

I've never seen a custom with a hood scoop that I liked.

I'll take Victoria's Secret anyday over this.

Rich

20. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Mouth watering East Coast kustom soul.

21. 67wagon

67wagon
    from Maine

Well I had the hood all made nice and smooth and we had one of those blue plastic mock-up ardun engines,,BUT the blower was a one off piece and we didn't get a final measurement from the engine builder until it was too late,Sooooo out behind the shop was a rusted 53 mercury hood . I cut the hump out of it narrowed it and welded it into the hood then openend the front of it so the carbs would clear,,It would have been easier to roll one out of a piece of metal but it was one of those deals where you start with a piece and just keep trimming . heres a pic of the carbs without airfilters before I cut the hood

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  22. White05GT

White05GT
    from NC

Beautiful ride, for sure. Got any interior pics?

23. the-rodster

the-rodster

WE WANT MORE BUILD PICS!

Rich

24. 67wagon

67wagon
    from Maine

Here's some interior, I don't have a lot of build pics on this computer but I have a disk somewhere, that was around 5 years ago

Attached Files:

25. I can see everyone involved did a ton of nice work. Each indivigual part has a time and place in the Kustom world. I also understand the Customer get's to call the shots. I just wish he would have picked one 10 year span of tricks and stuck with it. Not some of every 10 year span since the car was new. Funny,, I was just thinking my 51 probably wouldn't Blow his skirt up either.
    The Wizzard

26. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give that one an 11!

27. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

That is wild! I like it

28. I think that car is really nice ,you are never going to please everybody that being said those exhaust tips must go.

29. desotot

desotot

absolutely beautiful!

30. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

Very interesting rear quarters !!! It is not easy to build a shoebox that has a fresh look in 2013 . Congratulations !!