Register now to get rid of these ads!

5 spoke wheel styles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Aug 27, 2013.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I've amassed a pretty good collection of old mags for my heap, making several swap meet vendors very happy. And I have enough tires to shod up some slot mags and some spokes, in fact at the moment I have slots on one side of the truck and spokes on the other. I'd like to know the years involved in a) regular 5 spokes, b) 5 spokes that have a front 'edge' on the spokes and c) daisy spokes. All traditional? Is one more proper on a '30s rod?

Attached Files:

2. They Daisy wheels look at home on VW's and vans,,The others are traditional. HRP

3. never cared for the daisy wheels on anything

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

OK, the daisys are out. What about these pointy spokes (these are E/Ts)? Are they OK?

Attached Files:

• ps.jpg
      ps.jpg
      File size:
      86.6 KB
      Views:

5. gtowagon

gtowagon

Those are perfect

6. 3window31

3window31
    from AZ

The real vintage Americans are the best quality of any of the 5 spoke torq thrust. I would put Appliance in second place even though they were made in Japan. There are some very poor copies of torq thrust wheels. Some of the alloys used crack easy when they go on the old tire machines. That's why the wheel shops had the sign that said they were not responsible for damage to mag wheels.

7. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Round 5 spoke magnesium Americans go from 1960 up to about 1964. Pointy 5 spoke magnesium Americans came around the release of the alum Torq Thrust sport (1965). The 200S wheel is a 1969-1970 release. Hope that helps a little.

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks. I wasn't sure if the pointy ones were old enough. I have my own old Coates manual machine so if I break one I know who to blame. The dog.

9. Those wheels would be great! HRP

10. 3window31

3window31
    from AZ

Don't worry, The American Racing wheels they sell now don't even know how to copy there own namesake wheels. You either have the real deal or something else. :eek:

11. 3window31

3window31
    from AZ

The ET wheels use the same peanut lugs as the early American wheels. The ETs use a uni-lug washer. The later Americans use the more universal lug nut. That is a way to age the first American pointed spoke aluminum torq thrust wheels.

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Went to a hot rod gathering today, forgot my camera unfortunately. Seemed like every other car had Torque Thrusts. Came home and re-evaluated my slot mag stack. Didn't see any at the show.

13. slammed

slammed

Was that the new chromed China made wheels? Or the old painted numbers?

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Older style but could have been recently made 'cause most were perfect. The only ones I really looked closely at had rough cast spokes, no paint. But in general, old style spoke mags. I love 'em but it started to be too much of a good thing.

15. slammed

slammed

The older rough finish are in. You see way too many red/black painted wheels on everything. What you put the mags on also play into the success of the execution.