Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP, speedway disc brake kit bearing seal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snopeks garage, Aug 26, 2013.

1. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

speedways part number does not work at autozone. i seen on speedways site it says 71-76 impala so i got the seal for that and it does not fit its loose where i can set it in and remove it with my fingers. my question is does anyone know the timken part # for the bearing seal?

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you got a part number on the seal it's self or just going by what is in the Speedway catalog?

It might help if you told us exactly what the hell you were working on and the part number of the Speedway kit you used. Even the best of us aren't the greatest mind readers.

If there is enough left of the seal an you have a caliper to measure it with you should be able to measure the OD and ID and find one in a seal catalog. You can measure the hub where the seal sits and the spindle where it rides if need be.

A national seal for a 75 Impala with the 5 on 5 brakes is pn 8871 that has an od of 2.566 and an id of 2.0 That is the only one I am finding for 71 through 76 and it fits a few thousand GM cars over the years.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Yes the 8871 is what I tried. It dosent work. It needs to be 2.625 x 1.875.
    The brake kit is speedway # 91031913
    I think I'm going to just order the seal from speedway and eat the shipping err

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  4. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The seal is for a GM 11" rotor on a Ford spindle.

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Most disc brake kits use the pre 1978 Malibu/Chevelle rotors, some use the 67-72 Chevelle/Camaro rotor. Haven't seen any that use Impala Rotors.

6. jwray

jwray
    from Omaha, Ne

Looking at the Timken catolog it looks like the number is 712102 but I cant find it at an auto parts website.

I think I have one of those seals left over at the house. I will see if I have the number when I get home.

My 11" GM rotors and ford spindels use the 8871 seals, but i think my spindels came from Pete and Jack's.

7. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

Try Napa Number NOS19984

8. jwray

jwray
    from Omaha, Ne

I checked and I don't have one any more to get the number off of.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Isn't that speedway seal a custom piece?

10. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

It looks like it from my research. I just ordered it ill let you guys know when I get it. $11 shipping er I'm a cheap skate I know ha.

Thanks for all the replys guys!

11. Maybe order some extra seals as I believe these are custom made just for the speedway brake kit. Kind of a hybrid part to seal a Chevy rotor on a ford spindle and a mixed bag of bearings and races to get it all worked out.

12. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

yes it looks to be a speedway part only because it only has a speedway part #912-S18580 on it and comes in a bag.

13. Phil Carracho

Phil Carracho
    from Atlanta GA

NAPA 18562 (SKF seal) does the trick