Register now to get rid of these ads!

Still in a quandary over this SBC 350??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tapkoote, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

i have an 010 block from a truck, and i have to buy my starter to match my flywheel/trans....a "normal 3560 starter missed the flywheel completely.....my trans is a 69 powerglide, so whatever flywheel came with the 307 works.

2. Never understood all the confusion about starters on Chevy's. So to clarify or sum up' the difference in the diameter of the ring gear, referred to by the number of teeth, determines whether you in your app. use a starter with staggered or straight across bolt holes. You can find starters in hi-torque configuration (once you look at a few the larger motor case is obvious) in either bolt pattern. Now, I have noticed that you will find the larger ring gear behind turbo400's, 4L80's, and sticks with the large clutch, like hot muscle cars and heavy 1/2 ton pick-ups and 3/4 ton up trucks. Turbo 350's and sticks that uses a 10 1/2" clutch have the smaller ring gear. (Please feel free to correct/add)

3. wicarnut

wicarnut

IT seems that you should know what you have have, by casting #'s, if you are feeling ambitious, pull a head off and measure dia. rotate motor to measure stroke. use your 6" scale,that will be close enough for ID, and you'll know for sure and you can see condition of bore, big ridge at top of bore not good, piston type, valve size, etc. While you're at it, drop pan for inspection, crank casting #'s, 2 or 4 bolt mains, steel crank has large parting line/ forge mark ground, pull 1 front rod cap as these engines oil back to front. If everything looks good, buy some new gaskets, paint and good to go. was this engine running? SBC has different combinations of flexplates/ flywheels and front dampeners, some internal bal, some external bal, if previous assem was wrong ,It would shake badly. Just a suggestion and if all else fails, Summit or Jegs has 350 crate for 1500 w/ free shipping , watch for sales. John

4. tapkoote

tapkoote

Where'd you find the manual transmission part?
    That might do it, I'll check with the parts store.

5. unclee tha pretty much sums it up.

6. 54nomore

54nomore
    from illinois

The book I have tells by engine code whether it is manual or automatic. It doesn't specify which trans though (i.e. 3 speed, 4 speed, th350, etc.).

The title of the book is:

Ultimate American V-8 Engine Data Book 1949-1974

Author: Peter C Sessler

I think I got it at Barnes & Noble. It seems to be pretty accurate and informative.

Ron.

P.S. despite the title of the book, it covers 1975 also for some makes.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  7. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

'cept that you can put a 10 1/2" clutch on a 168 tooth flywheel (like 70s camaros had), but otherwise spot on.

8. tapkoote

tapkoote

LOL
    Got the poop on this engine, the guy who sold it to me, got the engine from a guy who bought a vette which came W/327, and had this 350.
    So it's been bolted into a vette, and that counts right?:rolleyes:

9. Thats good to know! So....how much longer is a bbc than a sbc,I am using short water pump on my sbc....also...how much wider I'm wundrin....a bbc just mite fit in my Stude....