Register now to get rid of these ads!

Centerline Wheels Make Clicking Noise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TriodeLuvr, Aug 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TriodeLuvr

TriodeLuvr
    from Austin

My new (used) T-bucket has 15x15 Centerline Warriors on the rear. They make a constant clicking sound at low speed. I'm pretty sure this isn't wheel bearings, and unlike some of the online posts that describe this problem, my wheels have no center caps attached. Has anyone heard of this problem?

Jack

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Do you have a locker in the rear end ? they click ! Gary

3. TriodeLuvr

TriodeLuvr
    from Austin

No, I don't think it's posi. Also, the noise goes away if the rear end is lifted up and the tires spun by hand. I even started the car like that at a shop and ran the tire speed up to 25-30 mph. No noise.

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Rock in the tire tread? (don't laugh), Bad/cracked wheel?

5. jchav62

jchav62

I had this problem one time on a set of mags. The shank on the lug nut was a hair too long. The nut bottomed out before the wheel tightened...

6. stimpy

stimpy

check the lug nut torque as they will loosen up and move around on the hubs ( and make sure the lugs are not bottoming out before clamping force is reached ) , and if they have a 2 pc construction with a filler plate between, if its not compressed all the way it will rattle , welds do this on certain models . and when torquing DO NOT use a impact use a hand applied torque wrench

7. TriodeLuvr

TriodeLuvr
    from Austin

Great ideas, but I'm sorry to say, it must be something else. I pulled both rear wheels last weekend to work on the brakes. While they were off, I checked the lugs for proper fit, inspected the wheels, etc. Both wheels were torqued by hand when I reinstalled them. (The clicking was there before this work.) Being as these are two piece wheels, is it possible the rivets are making noise? The wheels look to be in perfect condition, but that's the only other thing I can think of.

8. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Question relative to the remedies posed here:
    Can shanks on the lugs be too short and break/(strip the threads on) the studs while driving?

9. stimpy

stimpy

yes they can , as those rims are not made for the street . they are a Drag racing only rim . if they are clicking because of loose rivets the rim should be sent back to the manufacturer be sure they are safe . you Should see fretting around the rivet holes and aluminum dust .

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Install a different set of rear wheels/tires and test drive it. That will tell you if the noise is from the rear end, brakes, U-joint, etc. or the rear wheels...

11. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Oddly enough if there is cracked paint,or corrosion between the wheel and mounting surface you will get a clicking noise from that.

12. brandon

brandon

drive em....lug nuts are something special to that wheel and convo's....want to say 4.9 shank or something... or put a thin spacer between wheel and drum...but definently check em...breakin' studs is no fun....especially at highway speeds....:eek:

13. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

Howabout some pictures??
    You said you did the brakes..
    Not knowing what type of rear end or drum (assumed) brakes you are using--could the brake shoe retaining spring keepers (or other item-) be hitting your lug studs? (yes--I had this problem until the studs won the fight and the retainers let loose..

I can't imagine that Centerline sent out a set of wheels with loose rivets..

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you had the wheels off did you stick the lug nuts through the wheel to make positively sure that they (or some of them) didn't extend past the mounting surface of the wheel. Even a couple of thousandths of an inch on two or three of them around the bolt circle will cause a problem.

something stuck in the tread of the tire or even a nail or tack in the tread of the tire will do it too.

If you have disks are the pads tight in the calipers? I've seen some in the past where the metal part of the pad was loose enough in the caliper to rock and click.

15. Have you rechecked the lugs after you put some miles on the car? HRP

16. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Trio, what rear end do you have in the roadster?

17. jazz1

jazz1

This is a very interesting thread,,my steelies have been clicking for 4000 miles now,,I am just hoping it will go away,,I think its something inside the drum...

18. TriodeLuvr

TriodeLuvr
    from Austin

Centerline Warriors are not dragstrip wheels. Centerline says they are for "track & street." Brandon, I don't see anything on the Centerline site that says these use special lug nuts. Do you have more info? Incidentally, this noise isn't just once per rev (like something stuck in the tread). It probably clicks 10-20 times per revolution; I hear it especially when I'm slowing for a light and the sound bounces off vehicles next to me.

OK guys, I'm gonna pull one of these wheels one more time and double-check everything. These are drum brakes, so any type of interference with the wheels or lug nuts should have been immediately obvious when I inspected the drums. The wheels turn freely by hand, and again, there's no noise when the tire is in the air. I'll report back after a second look...

19. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

That's pure BS...

I had the same clicking on the drag lights in the 70's. It's annoying but not dangerous. You can solve the problem by cleaning the two wheel mating surfaces with scotchbrite or sandpaper. Get both surfaces squeaky clean and torque the lug nuts to 85 ft/lbs

20. brandon

brandon

Usually the lugnuts are marked for centerline pro stock or something like that...
    http://shop.mcgard.com/chrome-racin...ize-set-of-4-lug-nuts-and-4-washers?sku=60129

21. TriodeLuvr

TriodeLuvr
    from Austin

Well, I just talked to Customer Service at Centerline. The rep said it's not an uncommon problem, and that the rivets have probably worked loose. He also said there's no fix for it. I can either live with it or buy new wheels. Nice.

22. Wow, well you found the answer, not a good one, but an answer. :(

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

My original Raders click also, they are riveted, they are cool looking but they are a crappy wheel, they leak too, always did from the factory.

24. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

Is it me? or does that not sound comforting?

25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Not comforting at all.

26. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

I will remember that the next time I think about buying a set of wheels,I will make certain that they are not Centerlines !!

Spread the word,free advertisement for a well deserved product.

27. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

That does sound like rivets. When the mating surface gets corrosion it only clicks 1-2 times per revolution.

28. nevrdun

nevrdun
    from lombard,il

15x15 is a pretty big rim and tire combo. You are probably running real low air pressure. I wonder if the tire is moving around on the rim. Just as a test, try running alot more air pressure to better seal the tire against the bead. If that makes it go away you may have to put some sealer on the beads.

Norm

29. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Just learned something, I may have this problem. Either that, or my hubcaps are clicking, hopefully not the bearings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.