Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Dust Bowl Special"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bugsy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Bump...how's she running? Need more pics!!

2. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Well...nothing new other than I have a million things to get done to it before the Hot Rod Hill Climb. I need to get with it too as that's coming up quick! I'm not going to list out all that I want to do because I'll just jinx myself but I will post pics of what's going on as soon as I can.

3. I'll be keeping an eye out for updates!

Let me know when you're ready for this stuff I have to swap for the radiator...

4. T__N__A

T__N__A

Lookin good! Gettin anything done?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Well....nothing up but this....
    [​IMG]

My wishbone was busted where the driver side perch goes though it so that was something that needed done. Not sexy or fun but needed. I went out to NoSurf's (Jay) place on Saturday and we took apart a front end that he had did some horse trading for a decent wishbone that he had. The radiator is back in the shop for more work as is the Winfield head. Working on some other odds and ends to get ready for the Hot Rod Hill Climb as well!! I'll post pics of what all I'm up to as I make progress.

6. Kume

Kume

Hey Bugsy

Are you using the original Whippet radiator? Hard to fit anything else I suppose with that narrowing top but good capacity in top tank.

Kume

7. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Kume,
    It is an original Whippet radiator. I looked for 3 years before I got this one. I know there are some others that are small enough to fit in the shell or you could have one made but I really wanted an original. This one has been in the shop a couple of times to get things right but it should be good to go soon. My list of things that I'm trying to get done in the next, two weeks seems to keep growing!!!

8. kein

kein

The more I see threads like this the more I love these cars! good luck, she's a beaut...

9. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks, Man!

Well...while I'm waiting for my head and radiator to get out of the shop and in between soaking, heating and beating the crap out of my spring perch bolts to no avail, I decided to finally clean up my 17" bent spokes. I've had these for years and they were going to be used on about 5 other cars by now. I cleaned them up a bit and primed them.....

[​IMG]

And then shot on a zillion coats of gloss black and added some old caps. They look OK for what they are and eventually will have some new rubber mounted on them (Hopefully this week!) These will go on the rear or the Dust Bowl. Kind of like putting panty hose on a pig but what the heck!

[​IMG]

10. NoSurf

NoSurf

11. NoSurf

NoSurf

How is that wishbone working out?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Better now that the freakin' perches finally gave up the ghost and came out. It took heat and a huge air hammer to make it happen.

[​IMG]

Got my new shoes mounted on the 17"-ers the other day too! I decided to go with these Excelsior Comp V's. They have some tread that I wanted (better for pasture racing) and they were a good price too. I think they will work out fine. The knobbies that I wanted didn't come in 17" and the other ones that I was looking at were 10 ply and weighed 55 pounds each!! Plus, these were only $107 each versus the $160-$180 each for the other ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. NoSurf

NoSurf

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

loving it man :) I keep having visions of getting sideways on the gravel out around J's... might need to bring a tow rope haha

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Man I love that car.

I may be nuts here but... what about moving the Whippet shell/radiator forward and dropping it a bit in front of the crossmember to get a flat hood line... then adding an aluminum hood top?

Either way it's great. And I still have that pile of parts to build my own... or trade? :D

16. 5559

from tn

coooool & I really like your longeared co-pilot

17. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Tim, We can make that happen for sure!! I have a few more things in the works for the roadster as well this winter. Always looking forward to the HAMB-bq!

Kevin,
    Acutually, that's exactly what I'm getting ready to do with it! I've had to modify one of my Whippet shells to get it level with the cowl and do a bit of work to the front cross member but it'll sit right now.

You need to get to work and get that banger fired off before the BBQ next year! Or...I still have the Ironhead waitin for you!! :D

Thanks man but I think you were looking at Chris and his model A roadster and dog pic that he posted here earlier.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

awesome man, maybe ill have to take a day trip up your way this winter and check out what you've got going on :) i love getting the 46 sideways on gravel but ill have to look out for all those telephone poles ;)

19. NoSurf

NoSurf

The elusive Manhattani Bugsi at last years Chisolm Trail Festival:

[​IMG]

20. New tires look great!

21. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Jay, My species are mainly nocturnal and are easily spotted in areas where rum flows freely and loose women roam wild.

I am looking forward to Saturday though! Like I said before, it's kinda sad when the highlight of my year is the Chisholm Trail Festival....but...I am man of many parts.

Thanks, Bro! The roadster needed them pretty bad! The mismatched, 12 ply, trailer tires were getting some bad, flat spots and were out of round something fierce! I have some other work that I have to get done on her before she's ready to win the blue ribbon at the Chisholm Trail car show for most rust per square inch.

22. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

So I finally got out in the shop last night and began the process of hanging the front end again. I took the opportunity to de-gunk everything and clean up the bearings and install new bushings in everything while I was at it. Also, did the rubber ball trick to the radius ball along with new mounting cups. Thanks to Jay (NoSurf) and the trade with did for the "new" wishbone, the Dust Bowl is back in the game! Just need to repack the bearings, adjust the brakes and slap the wheels back on. Then I'm onto mounting the Whippet radiator (for the tenth time), and another little project that I've been scheming up for a while (more to come on that!).

It's nice to see the front end coming back together!! Not a real exciting picture but it's more for my own motivation to get back after it and get it on the road again before the snow flies!!
    [​IMG]

23. NoSurf

NoSurf

Heck yeah!!!

24. NoSurf

NoSurf

Another great day at the Chisolm Trail Fest.

Bugsy's new "vintage" trailer:

[​IMG]

Right before heading down at 9am:

[​IMG]

25. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

26. NoSurf

NoSurf

27. Here's another from this weekend...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381158017.517434.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App Sucka!!!

28. Man, I Love this thread!! Keep going.