Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. ......here are just a few....

Attached Files:

2. sideways27

sideways27

Any one who is looking for a 60's sprint car project contact Dr Dirt. He has a CAE roller that needs very little to complete. I would buy it but I am out of room and have just too many cars at this time.

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Ya gotta 'follow the money' Racing = $ Stick and Ball = $$$$$

4. sideways27

sideways27

Yea, I know your right, but when you consider ESPN doing the same thing with just as much coverage that means that FOX is going to share the ratings. I was contacted by Direct TV regarding my thoughts about Fox Sports and they wrote me a letter stating that they are sending these messages to their upper management and they are receiving a lot of email regarding this issue. I just hope someone is listening out there and all we can do is try.

5. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

One of my older sprints. A visiter from Austrailia in it.

Attached Files:

6. sideways27

sideways27

FYI, Lucas Oil has a TV channel called MAVTV. It has all types of racing including non wing sprint and winged sprints with some of the Speed TV shows. It is better than Speed, not sure all of you are aware of this. Direct is 214

7. Victory Lane Magazine has released the following:

"The First Indy NOVI And The Last Jimmy Clark Indy Lotus Will Join The 30 Victory Lane Historic Champ/IndyCar Showcase Cars With The IndyCar World Championship Event, October 18-19, On The Two-Mile Oval At Southern California’s Auto Club Speedway. Special $35 Spectator Admission And Paddock Tickets Are Available Through Historic Champ/Indy Car Association. Call 650-321-1411

The spectacular gathering of Historic Champ/Indy Association (HCICA) Cars will be on-track each day of this Friday and Saturday final 2013 IndyCar racing event. The Historic Champ/IndyCar Association drivers and cars have excited open wheel racing fans on this big two-mile oval every year since first appearing at the speedway opening in 1997.

The scream of the centrifugally supercharged V8 NOVI, the roar of the big four cylinder Offy’s both normally aspirated and turbo charged, the thunder of Indy Cosworth V8s, the unique sounds of the Pre-War cars are all special. These engines are in cars that range in age from the 1920s to the mid 1980s.

This event salutes the great history of Southern California Oval Track Racing. It was the home of Miller racing engines and cars, Offenhauser Engines, Indy Roadsters from Kurtis, Watson, Epperly and others, Vel’s Parnelli Jones cars and teams, Gurney’s Eagles, Cosworth USA and many Indy racing teams in the 1920s."

HCICA sanction events are organized by Victory Lane Motorsport Marketing. For information about HCICA Champ/Indy entrants or spectator special weekend $35 admission and paddock tickets,
    call Pam Shatraw 650-321-1411 (CA).

Sounds to me like the deal of the year!

8. PfrommerOffyTDJR

PfrommerOffyTDJR
    from PA

Hello All. New to the forum here. Just wondering if any of you had pictures floating around of the Pfrommer Offy. My great grandfather, John Pfrommer Sr., owned to car in the late 50' and early 60's. He also ran a championship car in the early 60's before calling it quits. Any pics would be great to see. Our family has quite a few, but Im always looking for me. Thanks again!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  9. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

I have a tail that was on it when it ran out of New York, but I intened to use it on a sprint that I`m doing . encloseed is a photo of the Champ car. You can see Pfrommer name on the hood

Attached Files:

10. Need help please

Anybody ever seen an in out box with a built in auto matic tranny pump, big bell style.

11. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Stan,
    that picture is mislabeled. The Pfrommer Champ car was never the Windmill trucker car. The windmill truck car was the 1958 Hoover Motor car. Elmer George replaced the "Watson" dirt car with the Meskowski dirt car in 1962/63. Sold it mid Season 1963 to Pfrommer. First race Trenton 150 with bud tinglestad up. Johnny White didn't want to give up his IMCA season that early.

12. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Winchester Old Timers Reunion August, 2013
    A week after Rockingham and Mac Miller and indyrjc ran the car for me.

Some photos by Randall Cook from my album-download any you want
    Haven't been able to locate any other photos of this event but will post them as they are found.
    Link:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/91981316@N06/sets/72157635152533587/

[​IMG]

A note from Randall:
    Carl:

They had a good turnout at Winchester Sunday with over 50 cars showing up for either laps or display. And this year they put the vintage cars on the front straight at one point so that they fans could walk down and see them up close. There was also an autograph session with several old drivers taking part including ex-500 drivers Eldon Rassmussen, Tom Bigelow, and Bob Harkey.

Among the photos I'm sending are several of Mac with Bigelow, Mac with a 88 year old ex-driver named Blevins (who ran in three of the early Daytona Beach races in the 1950s, and Mac being bear hugged by Steve Perkins who is another ex driver that drove in the Little 500 a couple of times. There is also a photo of your car on the trailler in the parking lot with a young track employee who thought the car was "cool".

There are also a couple of photos showing the car going through tech inspection. Tech wasn't all that hard except they seemed more concerned about whether or not you had any antifreeze in your cooling system. They also spent a lot of time counting the return springs on your throttle.

At any rate here are your photos from Winchester.

RJC

Found WOT Facebook -Don't belong but you can still see the photos
    https://www.facebook.com/WinchesterSpeedwayOldTimersReunion2012

Gene Ingram in the Tom Cherry Merc Sprinter
    Very early Sat Morn warm up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8o7LWaLlwY

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  13. gcrparts

gcrparts
    from ohio

14. PfrommerOffyTDJR

PfrommerOffyTDJR
    from PA

Stan,

Any chance you could shoot me a picture of the tail? Id love to see it. Thanks! Also, where did you find that picture? I do not have that one.

15. PfrommerOffyTDJR

PfrommerOffyTDJR
    from PA

Also- Does anyone know what ended up happening to the Elmer George championship car? I believe there was 2 of them made. 1 was restored. My father and I saw it out at the Indy 500 2 years ago. Not sure what happened to the other one.

16. Knoxvilleb66

Knoxvilleb66
    from Missouri

I would be interested but not certain how to contact Dr Dirt, new to the Message Board so any help appreciated. Thanks

17. ....just checking out some Hot Rod races on Pendine Sands in South Wales,and came across this .....thought it might give you a smile....

Attached Files:

18. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

19. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

TDJR, I'm pretty certain that picture is in Wallen's 60's book.

20. PfrommerOffyTDJR

PfrommerOffyTDJR
    from PA

Jim- Which picture are you referring to? I believe my Uncle John has those books. After looking them up, they look familiar.

Also, what is your email address?

Tom

21. I think he's saying:

"WHAT THE F..K MATE! There's gotta be some action around here, somewhere!"

22. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Black Vette - Here's a slightly wider version of the photo.
    The photo is by Mike Arthur showing CRA/USAC competitor Doug Colter inverted at The 1976 County Fair Races at The Imperial Fairgrounds on the shortened, usually rough County dirt oval.
    The photographer who missed the shot is Bill Korbacher.
    I'll send a note to our comapdre Mickey Dale down in El Centro and see if he has any comments.
    (Speaking of dirt- Randall Cook and Mac Miller just put a set of dirt tires on my 1927 Boyle Valve Special Miller Tribute Car and will be at Terre Haute and Eldora over the next few weeks - I'll post some photos)
    addendum: Afetr looking at the 'dig-in' in the photos think I better ask them to tack on some front sled runners.
    From OLD SCHOOL: Vol. One – 1971-1977, by Mike Arthur. (Mike Arthur Photo)
    Courtesy COASTAL 181
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  23. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

I'm trying to attach a bunch of pics and 2 videos of Bill Akin's double winner (first in class and the Tony Hulman most outstanding open wheel race car) at the 2013 Pebble Beach Concours d'elegance...Note there are 2 videos near the bottom of the gallery marked by the arrow in the pics....be sure to turn up the volume and listen to the 255 Offy rumble....note the attention to detail to get this car "as raced in 1962"...this is a 2 year restoration to his former '61 livery Autolite Spl. #5.....this car placed 12th in the '62 Indy 500 with Don Branson at the wheel....pic attached of the Autolite as finished in 1995 (this car placed 6th at Indy in '61 with Loyd Ruby driving)...this is an extreme left laydown car originally built by Quin Epperly in 1960....Joe

CLICK HERE FOR THE PHOTO/VIDEO GALLERY:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10322...74605357804657

Attached Files:

24. Actually I think the photographer who missed the shot is CARL Korbacher, that is if this is the same man I met at Manzanita back in the early seventies. It certainly does look like him. But then I have been known to have senior moments one after another lately.

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^ Loved all those pix! Congrats, too! Gary

26. MickeyD

MickeyD

Doug Coulter, son of longtime CRA driver/owner, rode over the wheel of Tim Lightfoot's sprinter and took this series of flips from February 29, 1976. Thankfully, he escaped serious injury. It is indeed Bill Korbacher shown in the Mike Arthur photo. His son Karl took the bottom series of shots. If you're on Facebook, I have a site with many more photos called Imperial Fairgrounds Raceway. If you're interested.

Attached Files:

27. Thank you for the correction. Like I said before us oldtimers have memory lapses as well as brain fades from time to time.

28. This is a video clip shot of some of the action at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion at Laguna Seca. It was shot and put together by Harry Pallenberg, the producer of "Where they Raced"; and posted elsewhere on the HAMB.

I thought perhaps you guys would like to see it, as it has a shot of our '32 "Big Car" showing a '39 BMW" Special the "short way" through the "Corkscrew".

I had to relinquish first place to the BMW on the last lap, as the distributor lead "fried" on my car. Enjoy!
    https://vimeo.com/73356784

29. .....I just love you guys...;)