Register now to get rid of these ads!

1929 Willys 3 window Hemi powered Whippet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Rabid Whippet, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Risky

Risky

Good looking hotrod. I really like it. I'm gonna dub it the Wappid Whippet lol.

2. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Awesome build brother,i love your work on the trunk and channel,and the new grille looks a ton better...

3. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Looking really good, I love coupes

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Thanks So-cal. I agree and I bought new exhaust flanges to make my own set. It will be painted also. At this point I just want to get it fired up and drive it. Funny that some say that the back tires are bigger than back in the day and they never had them this low. I'd love to bet these naysayers as I have posted lower cars and 8.20s on the back of a couple cars that were in Hotrod magazine . One had 8.20s and did 10.20s at 124 in the 1/4 back in the mid 1950s. Most people just remember highboys and what was in magazines but where I grew up, it was cooler to be low enough to push a pack of cigarettes with the front bumper.

5. It definately is way different than a Model A . Alot more challenging as the whole body was nailed onto an all wood framed skeleton. Once the wood rotted the panels would just fall off. Look at the doors. Basically its just a door skin hung onto wood!!

6. :DA couple more pictures. I now have the headlights mounted and will be running this vintage 1962 Autopulse 12 volt Fuel pump. But first I will polish the edges.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And no these are not Speedway headlights thank you very much!!!
    :D

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  7. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Jeeze....I feel your pain, having
    to slow down and take time off
    from your OUTRAGEOUSLY COOL
    Desoto-powered Whippet build in
    order to finish and then drive your
    ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS
    '36 Ford!!!
    I'm shedding tears of ENVY :)D) for
    you right now, in fact!!'Thumbs up'
    on both cars!!!

Mart3406
    ================

8. Yes, life is good. But I also built a killer barn, own and run a busy construction company, restored my 22 year old Nephews 1st car. A 1968 Nova including all bodywork and paint. Paved about a 1/4 mile of asphalt but not in a straight line. ( to bad). And got my 1936 on the road and a mile long of other projects completed and the most important thing of all is keeping my wife happy while doing all this and keeping 10 cars going. No rest!!!!!
    Thanks Mart3406. Sometimes I shake my head and cant believe how I have amassed such cool stuff.

9. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

To quote some lyrics from a song performed by my daughter's favorite band .....

"WHIP IT! WHIPPET GOOD"

10. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Or, paraphrasing the character
    'Mongo' from Blazing Saddles -
    "Uuhmm....Mongo like Whippet!
    Whippet Good!!!
    ":eek::D

Mart3406 ('Who doesn't in any way
    resemble 'Mongo', but who does
    like ultra-cool Desoto-powered
    '29 Whippet hot-rods!!
    ':D)

11. Just got some molded hoses that worked good on the thermostat to the upper radiator and the sharp bypass tube. I had to cut most of the hose I bought off but they are on and look like they are a factory made fit. I need to write those numbers down!!!! The only thing left before checking radiator pressure is a couple caps on the intake and a cap for the factory heater hose. I will be running a very cool vintage accessory hot water heater in the car. But I'm not at that point yet as I still need floors built. That will be my next project. I am running the stock timing cover as I like the looks of these compared to a Chevy water pump on a vintage Desoto Hemi.
    Mart, that would be an "Ultra rare 1929 3 window Desoto Hemi powered Whippet Hot- Rod". :cool: :cool: I bet you will never see another one!!!:D:D:D How many 3 window Model A and Model B Hemi's have you seen? I bet more than Whippets!! LOL!!

12. skinnydude

skinnydude

Quite an undertaking , you sure do have a very creative mind. excellent planning and following through with very great talent . Thanks for sharing .

13. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

I stand before you, suitably completely
    humbled and corrected!:D:D

Mart3406
    ----------
    P.S I tried to send you some pics
    of those finned Delco ignition
    coils that I mentioned in the PM,
    but there's no way to attach pics
    to a PM. :( I'll' attach them here, now
    for your consideration. I don;t have
    one right now, (I haven;t had one for
    years. actually :(:() or I'd happily
    donate one to the cause, but they
    show up on Epay, at swap meets
    and here on the the HAMB too,,
    frequently and are fairly cheap -
    usually going for somewhere
    between 20 to 50 bucks or so,.
    Another sick :)eek:) but period-correct
    idea too...assuming you could
    find an old W&H Ducoil distributor
    to fire them, would two of these
    gorgeously beastly looking old
    coils be visual, (if not electrical!)
    overkill???:eek::eek::D
    =============

Attached Files:

14. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Not sure how I missed the latest updates on your build, glad to see you are back on it, it's looking good. I like the new grill and am looking forward to see what you come up with for headers. Looks like the majority of the hard work is done.
    Dean

15. A little more work on the roof. This roof started as a 1929 Chevy and has been shortened 5", widened 1 1/2", chopped 3" infilled and 4" added behind the doors. Im just finishing the back of the infill and it will be done. I also relocated the 1951 Water Alchohol injection. Anyone ever seen an injection this old?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. I actually saw a unit that looked exactly like this one in one of my 1951 Hot Rod magazines that Almquist was selling. The anodized aluminum piece will be coming off shortly and a brass vintage piece will be put in its rightful place.

17. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Wow, that's pretty cool. I've never seen one of those. Great work on your roof too!

18. So I'm totally stoked!!!!!! I finally fired up the 1952 Desoto Hemi. I rebuilt everything myself including new valves, springs, cam, pistons, pins, rings , bearings etc etc etc etc, modified a ton of stuff including my own water pump idea and a ton of other untested stuff. 20 minute break in and it ran super smooth. Once this was done Iadjusted the idle and it runs super smooth but man does it rev up fast!!!! I think I just built a screamer!!!!!! Now onto finishing all the sheet metalwork!!! The temp only got to 170 with the 165 deg stat, the oil pressure was at about 65 and at idle 35!!!
    The only casualty was an exhaust stud that goes into the water jacket dripped a few drops.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Fuck Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!! Its fricking running!!!!!!!

19. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

----------------
    WAY TO GO!!!

Mart3406
    ==============

20. I pulled out all the plugs on the drivers side and pulled the valve cover as I had a low ticking from a lifter not quite adjusted right and the tip of one of the milk tubes came right off. I don't know why Desoto's had a two piece. Anyway I bout like 12 Milk tubes at a swap meet this spring but they were all about 1/4" too long. I cut two down and peened the top edge and created two new ones the right length. These are one piece units so no risk of oil leaks on the plugs. 2 out of the 4 plugs had oil on the ceramic parts of the plugs. Now that I know I can make one piece units out of the Chrysler/ longer one piece tubes , I'll be onthe hunt for more as they only take a few minutes to cut and peen a new edge. Thanks Mart. Its been fun and alot of work and creativity so far!!
    Here's a short video of the engine running. You can hear a slight clack but I have now adjusted it out. Also this was with a huge vacuum leak from the nipple going to my own PCV valve set up instead of having a blow tube. All the plugs looked perfect!!!
    Also concidering this was a full rebuild including new valves, bearings, pistons etc, I couldn't believe not one bit of smoke. The exhaust pipes were totally clean without any oil, smoke, soot etc on them. Usually I have had smoke from oil burning off the pipes etc but nothing!! Clean as hell!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qeR2mOZtho

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  21. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Awesome! It sounds really nice!

22. I rebuilt every part on this engine myself including the honing and valve work. I just did a compression check and all cylinders are within a couple lbs. They are all about 125. Yes its a low compression engine and only will make about 180 ish HP but in a car that is just around 2,000 lbs, it should still be fun.

23. drw47

drw47

Have not seen your Whippet before ! Good to see another one.

24. I have yet to see a 3 window coupe whether hotrodded or not in the 6 years I have had it. Even on the internet, they are very scarce even though they made close to 300,000 per year. My guess is because of all the wood in them, they were scrapped.

25. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

There is a radiator shell for a 29 whippet in the classifieds on here, posted about 12 hours ago if your interested

26. Thanks but the problem is I have no room for a straight up and down radiator as the spring and the frame etc has no gaps for the radiator shell to fit in. I would have to spend as much time on it as my modified Chevy grill. I actually have the stock one on my barn wall also but like I said, it just wouldn't work. But again thanks for keeping your eye out for me :)
    8:26 PM and Im just heading out to the shop!!!! I need more time in a day!!

27. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

No problem man, any new pics?

28. Well I got the engine broke in and man was it incredible. 20 minutes of rev'ing at 2000-2300 and not one bit of smoke in the garage, the engine ran at 165-175, the oil pressure was at 65lbs the whole time. The cool thing was that my own idea's all worked. The home made bell crank and brakes worked great, the 1956 Imperial generator power steering box hooked to the very small Mercedes Benz gear box worked, the ignition that wasn't meant for this engine worked, and building everything on and in the engine etc in my shop made me think it may not work. Well after cranking for about 3 seconds, it fired right up and ran sooooooo smooth that everything that was on the roof of the car just stayed there even after the 20 minutes of rev'ing. Look at how clean the exhaust pipes were after running for the break in! 20 long nervous minutes!!! If you didn't hear this engine running, you would think its off!! Once I brought the idle down to about 650, it has a good lope. I noticed the vacuum hose on the back of the carb was almost off also so its now tight, 2 of the two piece milk tubes actually leaked from the bottom piece separating so I modified a couple longer single piece tubes by cutting them and peening a new lip on them. I also readjusted the valves. I haven't fired it up since as I want to have the gas tank hooked up, the battery cables rrun and ignition switch, gas pedal hooked up. Still along way to go but Im plugging away. Just finishing up the car show season and taking weekend vacations are soon to be over and I'll be back busting ass. I am running the battery cable, ignition, gas pedal, feul line at this time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qeR2mOZtho&feature=c4-overview&list=UUEINMnZhujPuBIqY-4jHfyw

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  29. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Sounds great, looks cool too

30. [​IMG]
    All new cloth wiring.

[​IMG]
    Late 1950s early 60s MG seats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So here's some progress. The picture above was totally photoshopped if you look at the rear wheels and hubcaps and roof. But you get the jist of the change.
    I actually drove the car for the first time since I bought the car in the winter of 2006. I have built 3 other cars while puttering on this one and built my barn etc. Hence the almost 7 years!!! But the good news is, it ran great but needed the brakes adjusted as the pedal went to the floor. I just had to shorten the rod to the homemade bell crank. Now they work awesome. The clutch also needed a bit longer throw so that's fixed. Also the shifter was in a bad place so I had to heat and bend the shifter handle away from the steering wheel. I'm doing the interior in a traditional black and white and all the electrical will be in cloth wire. I drove the car about 4 miles so far just to figure out the little quirks and then figured I'd check the 9" rear end. Whoa!!!! The tubes were filled with rust that looked like hair? I pulled the 3rd member and the gears were pitted and the axle berarings were shot so I ended up rebuilding the rear end 100%. It now has a 3.50 Posi. Its back in and drives incredible!!!! The power steering that I made for it runs off the original 1956 12 volt Imperial generator rear mounted pump and is mated to a very small Mercedes gear box and the steering feels perfect. Just enough pressure so you can turn at a stop with one hand. And when driving, it feels nice and tight!! The car can sit for 2 weeks and you can reach in the window and turn the key and it fires right up. Actually faster than my fuel injected cars!!! I'm pretty stoked to get this car wired up, get the interior done and then drive it though out 2014 and then paint in the winter.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014