Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting disasters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stan's52, Aug 25, 2013.

1. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I fired one of my painters for that shit, at the time clear was about $1.10 an ounce he used a 1/2 a cup.
    On top of all of the clear he used I had to re-do the side he painted.

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I painted the assembled wheels to my Indian Scout, outside on a table, sitting upright so I could turn them around and do both sides. Cleaned up, went inside for a beer. Came back out a little while later, wind had blown them over, onto the lawn.

Ever sand grass? On spokes?

3. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Painted my old Pontiac one evening, bought the black paint and didn't put enough hardener in. Sprayed it about 8pm outside. Took 4 days to dry. I had many bugs permanently in the hood

4. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

I was working on my 64 Galaxie eons ago, Had the front clip off and had the inner fenders all prepped for paint.
    Well, Friday night I went out with some friends to a local watering hole or 3, got dropped off about 2am and decided it's a good time to paint. Well, I went to town, those inner fenders looked like black glass..... till morning and I saw I had more runners than a Marathon.
    Point of the story, Beer, Yukon and paint do not mix.

5. TMSTransport

TMSTransport

Just finished the final coat of clear on a custom paint job on an old Harley. Walking away pulling the airline behind me, it got caught on the stand the tank was on and knocked it over and I watched it bounce across the room. I walked to the bench, cleaned out my gun and turned out the lights for the day........

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ha, I know the feeling. I always buff my bike tanks by holding them with one arm through the tunnel, buffer in the other hand. Only lost one by catching an edge, and it went bouncing down the shop floor. Go inside, get back in bed, pull covers over head...

7. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

several years ago when teaching, had a buddy come into the shop on a sat. morn to do a quick squirt on his work mobile. He insisted on using my 2qt. pressure pot to "save time", even though I advised against it, due to fact that they put out a lot of material and he'd never used one. About 20 minutes later, he comes out of the booth and informs me, " that he thinks he's sprayed all the runs out of my gun and now it's good to go". Knowing what he meant, I walk in to see a continuous SAG from driver's side front bumper all the way around to the pass. side front bumper, taking my finger to the dripping deck lid as I walked around. Couldn't help to chuckle a bit and we still laugh about it, not the sag, but his statement about my gun and no "sags left in it".

8. belair

belair

Got the ratios all screwed up one time, and the paint wouldn't get hard. Gave it a week to set up, never did. Had imprints of the oak leaves that fell on it. Sooooo out came the reducer and Scothbrite. Got it right the second time.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not my doing. Working with a buddy in his shop. We were young and stupid. He had just painted a car. I was working on something else. No spray booth. You know...just painting in the shop...with a forced air furnace over in the far corner. No, not an explosion. If I had been aware of that danger back then, I wouldn't have even been in there. Anyway, the shop was filled with paint fumes. He suggested we walk next door to the party store to get a pop and let the fumes clear a little. Good idea. Thing was, the furnace only had a woman's nylon covering the short stub of the outlet on the furnace...no additional duct-work at all. The nylon was secured with just a rubberband or tape or something. I doubt that the furnace had any filter at all, and probably hadn't been cleaned in years. He intended on turning off the furnace, but forgot to. When we got back, we realized that the furnace had turned on while we were gone. How did we know? The nylon had been blown off, and there were "dust-bunnies" everywhere...including on the newly painted car. Looked like a big ol' fuzzy dandelion...lol.

10. redhumphries

redhumphries

good friend of mine had painted a 64 impala black and was color sanding and buffing the car. A young kid came by and was talking about wanting to learn so he picked up a piece of 36 grit and sanded the door down on the other side. Needless to say he had to learn from someone else.

11. Bugguts

Bugguts

Did a complete spray on a 67 Camaro last year. I had been helping a friend for 3 years to get it to this point. The owner had very carefully picked just the right shade of the factory color. He had even lost sleep worrying about it. Had to be just the right yellow. Not too yellow, not too orange, had to look just as he remembered. Well, we jammed all panels and assembled car except for hood, deck lid, and the cowl panel, choosing to paint them off. The edged paint was perfect to him. Since we had run low on paint with the jambing, we purchased more color to finish the exterior.....You may have guessed by now, the new gallon was miss mixed. Looked close but definitely a different shade. With the jambs and car masked, it was impossible to notice till I started unmasking the next day. Very different from the color we chose. I felt sick and he was madder than a hornet. After calling paint jobber and showing the newly sprayed test card, they admitted it was a mistake. After sleeping on it a few days, we decided to respray all the jambs to match. This was the owners choice. The paint ended up free and no one but the owner and I will ever know the difference. Moral.........don't take it for granted that a new gallon matches, check it with a spray out!

12. Why do you think I wound up making dentures for a living instead of painting cars?

13. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

I was share'n a shop space with my buddy. He had a really nicely blocked out GTO Judge sitting next to my car. Just letting the primer shrink
    I was all excited an sh*t.
    Taking the front end of my car apart I got lazy, Out came the air rachet...

Well,Gotta put a lil' oil in the rachet of course...
    Just add a few drops, bend over to pull a top fenderbolt off
    "PFFTT WHRRRRUUUT" A NICE BIG cloud of oil dropplets come right out the rachets exhaust right into his GTO's quarter panel.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Never felt like such a newb,dumb A-hole ever.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  14. stimpy

stimpy

glass guy installed a windsheild in the drive with the shop doors open , used spray silicone . need I say anymore ... ( used 25 gallons of vinager washing the shop down . )

15. Countryroadcustoms

Countryroadcustoms

I bought a pneumatic suction to pull the legs out. Got it from my paint supply store. Hook it up to the air line and can pick up little stuff like that. I HATE flies in my clear but it happens!!

16. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

Had my fender leaning up against the wall it was all primmed and blocked just about ready for paint and my dad was painting his tool box in front of it and some how managed to splatter it all down my fender. At least it wasn't painted yet

17. metalman

metalman

I painted for many years so I have plenty paint dissaster stories. Like just finishing the last coat on a 69 Montego complete in Imron (early 70's, no booth and I'm still alive!) when a whirlwind comes along and blows open the shop door filling the air with dirt and trash. Or painting my brothers Camaro with 15 different candy colors (still 70's) and running off to get some food around color 10. Came back and fisheyes everywhere, seemed I had left my brother there while I left so he decided to Armorall his tires while I was gone. How about a high end candy red lacquer job on a Vette. So high end I even popped for a brand new gun to shoot it with. Last coat of red, looking real good when the cup dripped right in the middle of the deck. That new gun cleared the back fence and ended up in the mesa somewhere.
    Not paint related but you guys talk about paint with no catalist, I had a bodyman (sure I can do fiberglass he tells me) lay up a lot of glass on a rough old Vette. Next day it's still gooey, I ask him how much catalist he mixed in the resin and he says "catalist?"

18. Kustomism

Kustomism

Worked on the bonnet of my 56 dodge all weekend , filling , blocking , cleaning etc finally painted it late Sunday afternoon . Once dry lent it against side of shed out the way then finished day with several beers.
    Opened another sliding door on shed to start cleaning up and knocked bonnet over fucking paint job and putting big dent in middle of bonnet .

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. thedapperone

thedapperone

Once sold a kid a whole gallon of base coat. Should have asked him if he needed clear. He was furious after painting the whole car "a Honda" with the whole gallon "6 quarts with stabilizer" and after a week it was still soft and definitely not shiny. I sold him a book on painting. Later that day I sold him 3 boxes of razor blades and 5 gallons of thinner. Ahhh... youth.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Funny this thread coming up at this time. I had an old friend visit the shop on Sunday, to discuss painting his 73 Riv. I had built 2 cars for him, as well as working on one for his son, and building one body-off for his son as well, but I hadn't seen him in a few years. So I was making introductions to a couple of the newer guys I'm doing work for, and we talked about the problems we had with the first car I built for him.
    His name is Lefty, and he's kind of well known around these parts. He has owned this 58 Chevy since about 1966. Brought it to a couple bodyshops to get it fixed up in the 80's, and got the usual runaround, dragging their feet, telling him it's "ready for paint". Finally after almost a year of being ready for paint, he picks it up on a trailer, brings it to me.
    Even at night, I told him, it's not ready for paint, you probably want to just bring it to the junkyard! He was devastated!
    The previous shops shaved the doors and made such a mess of them we had to get a replacement set! The quarter panel had some damage above the wheel well, and some genius cut it out, brazed in a flat piece of metal and sculpted the quarter out of Bondo!
    So, after some discussion, I decide to take on the job. The repairs went well, and it was ready for paint. He chose a brand new Camaro color, a burgundy with gold pearl in it. Using the latest technology (haha) I paint it in lacquer, do some scallops/panel work in gold pearl, and clear it in 2K clear (remember that?)
    I had a partner at the time, who was not fond of hard work. When it comes time to sand it, to buff, he decides the 600 grit isn't working fast enough, so he starts sanding with 400 grit! Needless to say, he removed all the clear in quite a few areas. I try to spot in more lacquer and clear, but forget it, ALL the edges wrinkle up, the solvent is too aggressive.
    Step 2 since I can't re-lacquer it, I decide to use a non agressive paint to cover it. I get the color in Centari, and my partner decides to be a big help and shoot it during the day (I was at a day job and worked the shop at night). Well, the color lacks depth, but looks OK. I carefully do the scallops and such, and then clear it in Centari clear.
    The ENTIRE car wrinkles up! My 'thrifty' partner did NOT use hardener in the paint, to save money! He said, you only need it in the clear, because that is what's exposed to the elements!
    So after 3 attempts on my part, I give HIM the job to do. He finally sanded the whole car out, and had a buddy come in and shoot some of the new base/clear paint in Martin Senour. I just did the gold pearl work on it. It came out decent, but still lacked the nice depth of the lacquer. I did the sand and buff to be safe, and the car still looks good!.
    Here it is, about 20 years after we did the job!
    And I left the shop and got my own about a year later!

Attached Files:

21. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Not my disaster, i'had my own, but nothing some sand paper and more paint couldn't fix, but my brother in law had a weird one. He painted a motorcycle tank and tins and had the tank sitting on a homemade 2x4 stand. He got all done and went in the house. As luck would have it we had an earthquake. Now here in Michigan an earthquake is very rare and nothing more than a very slight rumble. When the brother in law went back into the garage the tank was laying on the floor, scratched and dented.....that's the only earthquake damage I've ever heard of in Michigan!

22. brandon

brandon

had a customers buddy walk in room after I had cleared the customers dragster panels...kicked the hose..shower time....landed on the top of the top panels.:eek: owner wasn't real concerned , but his buddy got all kinds of pissed when I put finish by ricks water service on the top of the cowl...:D