Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stick or automatic?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

The 63 Belair in my avatar has a Tremec five speed and a clutch that takes two men and a boy to depress. Sometimes I do wonder if I'd be better off with a 700R.

2. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Slush boxes are for guys who
    can't derive and/or can't build
    clutch linkage.:eek::D

Mart3406
    =====================

3. White05GT

White05GT
    from NC

Autos have always bored me, stick guy here all the way.

4. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

I'm trying to find a 57 Pontiac wagon with three spd column shift. cant find one. I'm guessing most people cant coordinate there left leg and arm movement to change gear. Adding a power booster or changing leverage point on linkages would be a lot easier than changing to an auto. Auto are for old people and street rodders. Hot rodders drive manuals.

5. Stick = tickets, and auto = cruzin. I got a stick, and i try to drive it nice...

6. Kustomism

Kustomism

Love the stick shift !!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Christom

Christom

I love the 3-speed manual box of gears in my old jalopy. Nothin' like doing the massive down-shift in front of the boys - crackle-pop-pop! Just hope that old '39 box doesn't spit the dummy when I'm showing off though! Takes a bit of old style skill to shift into 1st on the fly - love it!

8. BSL409

BSL409

All gears here

9. for the guys running a so called traditional hot rod show with strict guidlines are you throwing guys out for running automatics that did not exist in the day. i have witnessed guys getting tossed for efi then let a guy in with a modern trans with a gear vendors overdrive. or you see the guy at the shows proudly stating his car is period correct yet has a trans from the sixties in his fifties build. until the chrysler engineers figured out the aluminum 727 there were no good race automatics. so can a period correct car pre 62 have a auto trans. how popular were they in the day. i know they made them but most were junk.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  10. Muttley

Muttley

Yep. My Comet came stock with an automatic, it now has a Four Speed with a Hurst Comp Plus.

11. stimpy

stimpy

drove a semi for 25 years pulling a slosh bucket ( unbaffled tanker) in the city and my last truck was a 18 speed , stick don't bother me , only thing is my car wasn't built for it so slush box will be the way to go and I do not have to buy a certified bellhousing and try to set it up every few years either if I want to go to the local track .and I have plenty of room for a aux trans cooler , not like before on the O/t cars. but I will miss the stab and grabbing .but the RMVB is also nice as you can wind it up and slam the next gear and not hear the coffee grinder

12. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

3 pedals here. Auto is ok if you have to drive a lot in heavy stop and go traffic or if you are physically incapacitated.
    Sorry but "wife can't drive a stick" is not on the list of acceptable excuses.

13. Muttley

Muttley

Thats all the more reason to get a stick in first place.

14. stimpy

stimpy

if I had my beater car with a stick in it I would teach her as she wants to learn , she grew up in the city and her dad had all autos , she drove a 45' city bus for 20 years , when I had my Pete , I offered to teach her but , she didn't have the time .