Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's the little things that make me nuts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dane, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

EZ Wiring - Almost a great product, but one serious flaw kills the deal. They will not give you a schematic, just a directions booklet written for a 5 year old.

I'm finishing up a 12 circuit from them and have no power to the fan. I call their "tech support" phone number twice (Thursday and then today) during the correct hours and get no answer.

I call the operator after no answer from the tech line today and the tech guy answers. I tell him about calling tech twice and no answer - He says "I get busy"

I tell him if they would just supply me with a schematic I would not need to bother him. (he get's busy ya know...)

He says they don't want people trying to modify their product, so no schematics, just call the tech line for help. (see where this is going?)

Like Robert Earl Keen said - "It's the little things that piss me off" Or in this case pound my (or some one elses) head against a wall.

Rant over - Carry on...

2. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

There's a thread here about EZ causing driveability problems.

3. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I'm not surprised when you have to guess if you're using the correct wire to power things.

I had two wires - one marked "Fan Fan" and one marked "Fan Power" Which one would you use to power the fan? The booklet says nothing about the fan circuit.

4. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

5. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

I've said it here before. I pull the wiring from a donor vehicle. It's a pain. Gotta label everything.
    There has to be overwhelmingly good reasons to install a new wiring kit.
    I don't see that on your wiring kit.

6. Torchie

Torchie

Anything called EZ (EZ outs) or "idiot proof" makes me wonder about it.
    Good luck and hope you get it straightened out.

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If I was guessing I would say the fan power would go to the 12 volt supply for the fan and the fan fan wire would go to the fan.

8. Kinky6

Kinky6

I can't personally vouch for any of these companies, but I just wanted to point out that there are at least three HAMB Alliance vendors who sell wiring kits or products.

I'm just sayin' ..... ;)

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

9. 4t7flat

4t7flat

I wonder if EZ is the company that made the wire kit in my 32? All wires are black with hard to read silver labeling. All wires are permanently attached to the fuse block, with only one spare fuse location. I hope it was super cheap, because its Crap compared to a Ron Francis kit.

10. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

My EZ manual says the Fan Power is the grey and white wire. But use the one marked Fan Power regardless of color. I made my own schematic as I wired my car and I will check it. I have a feeling the Fan Power wire comes from the panel and is of course the supply . I think the Fan wire goes to the fan itself . I believe that the two need to be connected by a switch ( manual or thermostatic ) ?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  11. Hemishovel

Hemishovel

Glad to know I need I kit but not from them

12. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Me too, but we are both wrong. Fan Power goes to the fan and tech support genius says to connect Fan Fan to Fan Power if you want it to power the fan.

13. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

My wires are all black.

14. Get a mechanical fan, solve several problems at once!

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

So it's safe to say that you're not a Fan Fan of EZ Wiring? :)

16. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I agree with that for sure . My EZ kit had provisions for an electric fan , but I didn't use it . My mechanical robs some power but it never lets me down.

And by the way I had no problems with the EZ Wiring kit. I ran the wires to terminal strips at various locations then wired from there . No problems with the quality or installation. I do think that the lack of a schematic and more detailed instruction is probably a problem for someone who might be on the edge as far as understanding automotive wiring .

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well I guess we had a 50/50 shot of getting it wright.

18. That is also the very irritating complaint I had about EZWire. I have a background in electronics in the service and I find it simple with a schematic. That simpleton sheet of picture-graphs doesn't tell you what both ends of the wire go to. I am used to tracing all the wires from start to finish. They just give you the finish...so simple its confusing if you are used to schematics.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As soon as they took your money, it became yours, and no longer theirs.

This is craptacular customer support.

20. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

I've heard of threads going sideways but you Sir take the fuckin biscuit.
    I use EZ wire and to compliment it use the schematics from this site.

http://stores.ez2wire.com/StoreFront.bok

21. Model T1

Model T1

I guess we've been lucky. I've been buying EZ Wire kits probably since they started. Used to pick them up from a vendor at Daytona Turkey run and the Spring spectacular. Even stopped in at the EZ Wire joint in Bunnel, Fl for an oil pressure switch. My son has been installing them in all sorts of cars since he was like 10. So EZ a kid can do it.
    I did hear they may be getting their kits from overseas and the original factory may not be there anymore. So much for American made. Early on they only came in black but there are several sizes of kits and color is now available. So who'd want all black wires anyway?
    Everything we drive has electric fans with a relay and temp sensor.

22. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Ron Francis is good for that, too. Very clearly tells you where to hook up wires at the panel and what and where to go with the other end, but they don't want you to really know what you're doing.

Blue

23. I found Painless easier than EZ, but I think a new harness is WAY easier than trying to string together 60 year old strings of shit and firestarter... I had trouble with the fan thing, too, But still better than a car fire.

24. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Thats quite a bummer. I was looking at EZ kits, But went and bought an American Auto Wire harness instead...
    I'm a fool at wiring. But i'll say, some of the best money i ever spent. Just went together great, all labeled, factory connectors, correct color coding. Awesome it was.

Good luck with yours man, wiring is something i despise. But good god i'd go crazy with all black wires and no schematic :eek:

25. Just did a painful harness. Hope never to do that again. My like is for a car say tri five. Use American auto wire. For a hot rod use Rebel. American auto wire has a very good easy to read diagrham. I have no idea how to scan and post it.

26. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Haha. I like biscuits. Never used a ez wire kit.

27. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I used an EZ wire kit for my 40. Outside of me omitting a ground for something (can't remember) everything worked the first time through.

I think their rationale may be that if you can't install it with their instructions, then full blown schematics would be a waste of paper. On the other hand, if you're adept at reading schematics, you should have enough technical knowledge under your belt to wire it from the instructions. 99% of the kit is simply power distribution, the only place that a schematic would be warranted would be the steering column section anyway. I thought it was a pretty well done harness all in all.

28. 416Ford

416Ford

My fan harness was a problem also. They ran both the sender wire and the power wire up to the front of the car in the headlight harness. I thought they were a positive and negative wire till I went to hook it up. I ended up cutting the wire and running a new wire out to the engine sender with the engine harness.

29. uncle Dave

uncle Dave

If you know someone that has a Painless manual for a similar car, check it out, it might help . I did that with my '38 and it smoothed things out a bit.
    ud

30. I just wired a 55 Nomad with American Auto wire great kit. It also comes with a schematic, When I called tech support he was up set I was using the schematic and wanted me to use the single sheet for each bag of wire. All in all good stuff. It has an LS motor with painless computer harness then add Dakota digital gauges. It was fun marrying the three together .