Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Fastest Flathead in the world...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fenderless, Aug 26, 2013.

1. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Just found this:

"Worlds Quickest and Fastest Flathead (as far as we know) 7.695 sec and 174.96 mph".
    On 8/25/13 the "Slider" Blown Fuel Flathead Dragster owned by Rick Schnell driven by Joel Schnell reset the record previously held by Al Burns also in the Slider by .002 sec. 24# boost, 60% Nitro.

K

Taildragger&fenderless

2. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Fastest in the 1/4" mile.

Far from the fastest overall! It is a cool car, though!

3. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Yes Buddy, in the 1320:)

Sorry:D!

Would have been cool to make two list one for the 1/4 mile and
    one for landspeed racing!?:)

K

Taildragger&fenderless

4. slicksona66

slicksona66
    from Lincoln Ne

5. belair

belair

Yowzza! I am always struck by the silence after the race and alone-ness of the driver.

6. That's easy ~ Ron Main - Flat Fire 302.203 one way and 296.828 m.p.h two way average for the record.

7. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Fastest pass goes to Jimmie Stevens, in 2010, at 309.199 mph.

Ron Main and Flatfire Have the fastest record.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  8. Right, but as you know one way passes don't count at the great white dyno :D

not to discount Stevens' run, it is fantastic.

9. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Very cool:)

Please list the different class records...;)

K

Taildragger&fenderless

10. Ole don

Ole don

I will never take anything away from Ron Main, but Rick has done his on peanuts. Yes, I have met them both.

11. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Regardless, very cool car, great run!

12. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I agree-Jimmie's is only good for bragging rights, Ron's is in the books. Lotta $$$ difference in the 2 engines, and that's why I'm so impressed with Jimmie's run.

I've met Ron, and talked to Rick. Both guys are very passionate, and both are truly the fastest in their respected venues.

13. I wonder what's the fastest with no EFI or other modern stuff?

14. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

Give credit where credit is due....great job!

15. jlhelm

jlhelm
    from Minnesota

If this was yesterday, it was at the MSRA SS/FR which is a free event at BIR for MSRA members. Last time I went in 2010 it was a hoot. True run whatcha brung event. The stands look completely empty. Now I wish I would have gone.

16. kendall66

kendall66
    from iowa

I am sure this isn't the fastest flathead, but interesting on my stand point....the 4" crank is in my engine that ran on the flats in the article....check this out http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/3493_1934_ford_coupe/

an old timer in Nebraska built my engine, and put the crank that is in the link in my engine.....kool!!!!!

17. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Unfortunately I couldn't go either sense I was at another drag strip helping my dad run his O/T bracket car. This is the closest thing Minnesota has to a H.A.M.B/Meltdown Drags event. :( Does anybody have pictures?

18. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

It was at the Super Secret / Fun Run this weekend. I had the privilege of watching the run. The stands were empty because it was too DAMN hot out. Saturday and Sunday were both 92 to 95 degs F and 72+ deg. Dewpoints. That is way to hot for us northern Minny guys. Most everybody was hiding under the stands in the shade. I have absolutely no idea how you Deep South guys put up with this weather. I am looking forward to snow.

On the plus side, Rick must have been able to make some serious power given those air conditions. I have talked to him quite a bit, his previous motor dynoed out at 930 Hp on a 50% Nitro / Methanol load. This newer one looks to be making a tad bit more. That flathead has a very, very unique sound, especially with the 4th exhaust port under the blower. It is quite the sight to behold. Even Saturday in the heat he was turning 7.7's at 171-173 mph.

Congratulations to Rick and his Crew.

I did not take any pics this year, but here is a close-up of Rick's old motor from 2010. The black bracket on the front corner was holding the block together as it had started to crack down towards the exhaust port. The water jackets are filled with aluminum to help stabilize everything.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't care who did what when, that pass was just flat fun to watch.

20. stimpy

stimpy

most of the races I attended down south were mostly after 3pm when it starts to cool off , I like the stands at bowling green as they are covered and its nice under them .

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - Thanks - need more pics from drags event

22. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Makes me wonder what he could run in cooler less humid air. High 7.50's maybe? :D

23. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

From Rick:

Sure pass it along, that's what its for! Al Burns best time was 7.697 so we just got him by only .002. Looks like the motor isn't hurt either, we're already talking about Denver next year but I haven't heard much about anyone else running in the unlimited class lately........Rick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YHs0CG8MA8&feature=youtu.be

24. 18n57

18n57

Congratulations to Rick!! I was at the Flathead/inline event in Denver several years ago and saw Rick go 8.03 at that altitude. Later, the same year, he clocked his first 7 second pass at Mid-America in Wentzville, Mo. He's been wringing some impressive horsepower out of flatheads for a long time. Others may get more ink, but Rick is a seriously talented guy and I couldn't be happier that he has the title back!

25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Awesome. Thanks for the ride!

26. That is not as new-fangled looking like I thought it would be. The text in red is cool! Anyone got shots of the new motor?

27. I've spoken to Rick in regards to "what to do with an ol Flathead" to make it work.....very open and informative in sharing info.....none of this "late model type stuff" ....where ya hear "that's a secret"....a very deserving person indeed:cool:

CONGRATULATIONS..... to the Flathead King....(oh yea, of Drag Racing:)

28. Amazing! Don't think the '35 is a threat!

29. Hot damn congrats to Rick and crew, and what a great video, hummm only about 600+ more hp for me to go........

30. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

That is pure awesome and an inspiration for us flathead fans. Makes me want a flathead fed even more.