Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 buick, special indeed, made it home.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickvalvenut, Aug 23, 2013.

1. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

Quite possible and if asked I would say you are. The cars then were built about last about 5 years. I can remember my dad wanting to turn in his cars at 70K. Worn out as far as he was concerned.

2. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

I washed the car with soapy water,hot dam I said.made a big dif in the chrome.

Attached Files:

3. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

Looks new! Now we are really seeing a gem under the dust. :)

4. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

wow!..now days, at that mileage, the car has just been broken In.
    heck,ive seen cars with 400,000 milles still in service.

car had seat covers,an older man stoped by to show me some parts.he saw It and told me people back then added them right out the dealer. in my case it was done as an upgrade.with a lil cleaning mine will be very serviceable.

Attached Files:

5. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

I would say you are right. If the chome looks as good as it does and the seats clean up you will have saved a bundle.

6. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

im looking forward to that,god know s im having a hard time finding a decent job that fits my health condition,im getting by with financial aid from school.my main concern was to get the car,its downhill from here.the engine compartment dont look to bad,the caked on grease did it good.a lil cleaning and it should present it self well.

7. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

the engine bay.ill power was with degreaser than spray it black.

Attached Files:

8. BigOl'Buick

BigOl'Buick
    from Vegas

Very nice project, you don't see enough of these.. My 52 super came home almost 3 months ago. It sat for 7 years and grew a bit of rust. I plan to be driving it next week and at the car show at the end of September. It's been a lot of work but I've enjoyed every bit of it! I've got pictures of its progress in my profile.. not sure how to post pictures here

9. BigOl'Buick

BigOl'Buick
    from Vegas

How's you're shocks? I got lucky and was able to put 30w non detergent and got them working. we'll see how long they last once i hit the road.

10. 48SuperConvert

48SuperConvert
    from Seattle

You have a great starting point for what sounds like a real KOOL ride with the changes you have planned.
    Good luck with your project!!!

11. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

very nice,I see the bare metal finish,what color did to spray it?

12. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

not sure,havent got to those yet.so far there a lil on the soft side,might need oil i hope.not to bad tho.it sat for years so will see.

13. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

thanks,im really exited bout this one.I really like the overall appearance.im def driving It as is for a whileis that your current project?,you avatar.

14. BigOl'Buick

BigOl'Buick
    from Vegas

shes in primer right now.. sprayed the dash gold yesterday and plan to finish the 2nd color tomorrow inside. It's camero gold metallic and shoreline beige. exterior will be gold on the roof beige below. It's my first real paint job so we'll see how it goes.
    Funny, my plan was to get it running and drive as is too.. Now look what happened. Hahaa!

15. STRANGER_DANGER

STRANGER_DANGER

That car is bad to the bone!

16. 52 riv
    52 olds skirts
    55 buick headlite bezels
    60's mopar console lites in the portholes
    cad wires tbird centers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  17. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

haha.I know what you mean,one thing leads no another.on my side the funds are a bit low,so not by choice.ill eventually primer in the same color,pattern plus white in the are below the side trim.keep her stock till surgery begins.

18. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

I likes,nice!

19. I built that 30 years ago

it was a 3 speed too

20. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

yea,the pic looks it.what became of it,?

21. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

I cleaned out the trunk today,scraped the floor to find no cancer,phew!

Attached Files:

22. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

as I thought. the rear right quater recived a blow causing a small lil tear witch traped water.
    thats not good,we all know that.as I started bringing the dent out vualah!...cancer.it should be an easy repair,the contour isnt to drastic,and the rusted area isnt to large,bout 12".

Attached Files:

23. Tim333

Tim333

Sorry to see all those stains in your seats. I recently bought a 57 Studebaker with similar stains which I naively thought was water. Turned out to be mouse pee once I took the seats out and found dead mice, thousands of their excrement pellets and stains on the seat stuffing and burlap covering over the springs. The smell was horrendous once the seats were out. Good luck.

24. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

here's a pic from fra away.

Attached Files:

25. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

I thought about cleaning them. but after talking to my dad,who used to do upholstery for his car club back in the 80's,he told me my design is simple,and It could be done with a household sewing machine,wich Im good with,so im going to do the whole interior.
    as long as I stick with cloth that is..

26. Tim333

Tim333

I rented a carpet cleaner from Home Depot with the hose attachment for cleaning stairs. The stains came out of the cloth portion of the seats but the stuffing underneath the covers and the burlap covering the springs were soaked with mouse pee and smelled terrible. Had to throw those away.

27. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

I bet,those cleaners are all cosmetic. I lost my ability to amell in a severe head trauma,so I cant say If mine smell. they still have lots of chushion left,id hate to redo everything.if they smell im going to wash them down with a hose first,then downey before I start...lol good ole Downey. in my case it could be water,they had a seat cover made of vinyl,not to mention the floorboards are rusted beyond repair.then again I found rat poo in the trunk,will see.
    I have to have someone perform a smell test for me..haha.
    two nights ago I was sitting Inside having some cold ones,didnt smell a thing..haha.it was relaxing I must say.

28. BigOl'Buick

BigOl'Buick
    from Vegas

kanter.com has pre-made upholstery starting around $450 or so. depending on what you go with. I was thinking of scoring a set but it looks as though I'll be sitting on bare springs and a pillow for little bit, $ gettin tied up elsewhere. They have lots of other stuff too. Haven't ordered anything yet so not sure of the quality but they seem legit.
    Lets see if I figured out this picture posting thing.. sneak peak at the dash after I painted
    [​IMG]

29. BigOl'Buick

BigOl'Buick
    from Vegas

whoa.. that's big.. gotta be a way to downsize

30. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

thats perfect..looking good.I asume you still have to clear coat.