Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stick or automatic?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Mar 19, 2012.

1. I have a love of both. the winding thru gears in a hard shifting B&M Hydro-Stick is also a joy

I've had 6 rigs with the early 331 Cads and loved them all. but I always wanted a stick behind one.
    My current Shop Truck build is a chopped, channeled and sectioned 54 GMC running a 55 331 Cad. hooked to a truck 4 speed. It is in great shape and shifts like melted butter, but I have laying right next to it a rebuilt 12 volt 3 speed GM overdrive transmission that would be even cooler.

My problem is I'm 6 years into a 6 month project. I've overcome all previous problems and am just about to put the Cab back on the chassis and get it on the road. I'll never have a better chance to install the 3 speed. except it would require a new Cross member, drive shaft, shifter and a higher gear ratio 3 member.

the shoe on my other foot is My Hot Rod 48 ford 3 window coupe in my avatar running a 54 Lincoln with a B&M Hydro stick.

so I guess my answer to the stick or auto question is Stick daily driver. Auto in my Hot Rod

Attached Files:

2. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

3 pedals in the avatar--I'm waffling on my 34 pu build though. I WANT 3 pedals, but not sure I can WORK 3 pedals in a chopped and channeled PU. options are de-chanel or A/T.

tough call--still not sure

3. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Street=Stick and Drags=Auto

4. Dr.HairyOlds

Dr.HairyOlds
    from CNY

Stick all day, every day. Working on my 3rd auto to stick conversion. Whenever I see a nice car, my heart sinks when I see an auto. Whenever I consider buying another, if it is driveable, the first thing I think of is how to convert it.

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Same here. All my stuff is automatic now except my big truck. If I get the urge to bang some gears, a friend of mine has a 4.0 Ranger pickup with a 5 speed that I borrow for a while. After a day or two, I 've had my fill of gear shifting for a while, so I'll take it back and get my automatic back....

6. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

In and out box.....

7. j harvey

j harvey
    from pa

newer auto's have come along way as far as shifting when i want them to but older stuff ill take stick any day

8. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I'd rather have a manual, but I got a rebuilt auto for free so I am using that. For now at least.

9. I have automatics in both my Deuces,,but my wife's wagon she has a stick shift 5 speed and I can drive it but it's not comfortable.

Old age & physical limitations has a lot to do with reasons to go with automatics. HRP

10. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I think it depends on what you're building.
    In my '51 Merc Kustom, I have an automatic.
    In my future project Model A, it would be a stick.
    If I had a 63-65 Riviera, it would have an automatic.
    If I had a '33-'33 Ford, it would be a stick.
    If I had a '40 Zephyr, it would probably be an automatic
    If I had a '28-'64 truck, it would probably be a stick.

11. Swifster

Swifster

My '64 Studebaker Daytona is an original 4-speed car and I'm leaving it that way. My '64 Studebaker Commander is a 3-speed stick but I'm changing the drivetrain to a blown GM V6 with an overdrive transmission.

12. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Goldchainers!

13. This. Living in a high traffic area sucks to be constantly shifting. I've gotten so sick of shifting the 5 speed in my truck, that the 47 is now my daily driver.

14. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

Have autos in my cars by default. I would prefer a 4 speed, but Bay Area traffic generally delegates the use of an auto - besides, when I fiend for shifting, I take out my OT truck. 4 sticks coming through the floor. Gets it out of the system real fast!

15. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

That's the way I feel about it. My Harley has a 6 speed. That's enough shifting for me.

16. fsae0607

fsae0607

Stick!!!

Automatics are boring. Yeah it sucks in traffic, but still.

17. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

stick, all the way.

18. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Automatics are boring.

19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well not to sound hypocritical 'cause I am currently running a "glide" but there were several old school four speed cars running the H.A.M.B Drags this year. I have to say it put a big smile on my face listening to them running through the gears.

20. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Additional note however...I heard a story about Big Daddy. In the early 1960s the factory delivered a wedge motor car to him. He was supposed to make a few passes with it as a promotional gig in the Super Stock class at several National Events. When he hopped inside and the first thing he noticed was a push button auto. Apparently the factory couldn't find a clutch pack to get the big horse MOPAR's power to the ground.

He called them and said he couldn't drive this automatic at a drag strip, he would get laughed out of the place. The factory simple said you might want to drive it first! I know it ran in the high 11s from the factory but not sure how Big Daddy felt about it.

21. Sat in stop and go traffic for 2 hours today. I will never have another manual transmission. I'll throw a shift kit in an auto and be plenty happy. BTW, in Big Daddy's book he said he though the auto was nice. Not worrying about a clutch explosion, you know.

22. fordsum

fordsum
    from SO CA

Im in so California here its not the miles to a place its the time. In the stop and go traffic im automatic all the way

23. chromeazone

chromeazone

Unless you could afford a new car in the '50's, early '60's, by the time you got a used car with an automatic, (unless with less than 70,000 miles), it was used up and bound to crap out soon. Detroit did not come out with a reliable Auto until mid-60's: Torqueflyte, TH350/400. They usually ran for well over 100K.

My '51 still has 3 on the tree and I'm good with that. Now it is a novelty !

24. 343WINDOW

343WINDOW

All my vehicles have a stick including the hot rod. I even put a "suicide shift" on my softtail Harley...love bangin' gears!!!

25. i have one automatic its in my mini van. i like three pedals and a big stick. i have a g-force five speed in the coupe. a m-21 in the 66 chevelle and a 833 in the super bee. the 3500 diesel dodge is a stick to.

26. 327Eric

327Eric

In all honesty, it depends on how much I can get a working transmision for, and whats available at the time. Two pedal cars stay two pedal, and 3 pedal cars stay 3 pedal in a perfect world.

27. 4t7flat

4t7flat

I drove mainly sticks for 50 years, and have 3 rods with early Fords stick transmissions. I thought I would try one auto for cruising Woodward, and Telegraph. Well holding back a 400 horse Hemi, kills my left hip a lot quicker than a competition clutch.

28. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I put a 700R4 in my coupe and it has been fine . But here in Maine I never am in traffic for more than a few minutes. So I want to convert to a 5 speed to have a little fun.

29. stick for me

on the column or on the floor.

Even my new dodge cunmmins has a stick 6 speed

30. I've read this 3 times and still can't understand what you are saying or maybe its what you are doing?

Best I can guess is you drive a hemi powered automatic,
    You drive it with 2 feet
    The idle is too high and the converter is too tight.
    And It's hard to hold the brakes ?

I have a headache.