Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage boats,who alls got em

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by hvychvy, Feb 1, 2007.

1. refried confusion

refried confusion

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. oneeyedjim

oneeyedjim
    from NW, PA

I'm working on building an old school 10' hydro picklefork to tow behind the 'A'.

3. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Not mine, but it sure sounded sweet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 7car7

7car7
    from Washington

Very nice Chris Craft. Love that steering wheel.

5. Ricky B

Ricky B

This thread makes me miss the Hot Boats in Red Bluff !!!

6. frozen_bohemian

frozen_bohemian
    from Minnesota

1968 Glasspar Avalon all original
    Wife wanted me to sell it....so I gave it to my son. Now one of them is happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 63comet

63comet

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374774722.829339.jpg

How vintage do you want? At least it has less glass and plastic than the average T-bucket, lol.

This is my Gary Dierking designed wa'apa I'm almost done with. It's a clone of the sort of boats built in the Hawaiian islands when board type lumber first started to appear there.

It'll be rigged for sailing when complete. Should be fun playing amongst our barrier islands here.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Antique in water boat show in Kingston NY this weekend. One boat in particular was amazing.

Pat

Attached Files:

9. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw this in ky a few weeks ago
    Sent from my HTC One X using H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sent from my HTC One X using H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

Cool thread. Here are some motors my friend is selling.

[​IMG]

12. Torchie

Torchie

Here is some motors I'm not selling:)

Attached Files:

13. 7car7

7car7
    from Washington

Beautiful pair of '57's! Wow. Hopefully those will stay as a pair.

14. 7car7

7car7
    from Washington

That one with the "V" transom is really something. Do you know if it was an original that way? Or a new custom job?

15. TexasDart

TexasDart

Those Johnson's are the motors that was on the first boat my dad bought....

16. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

A friend bought this '58 Sea Fury for $20. The amazing thing is that he got the title for the boat and a title for the trailer.

[​IMG]

17. 7car7

7car7
    from Washington

Took my boat to a show this last weekend, the Unique Tin Show, in Longview WA. Great show, lot's of really nice cars, with a huge variety. Everything from the "rattiest" of traditionals, all the way up to high end trailer queens.
    And they welcome boats, tractors, or what ever else you want to bring.

I was the only boat there this year. It was received very well, but I came home with no hardware. Maybe next year, but that's not my focus. My focus is having fun with my boat, and that's what I did there.

Brand new motor restoration. The last month was spent giving it new paint.
    This motor was originally gold where you see the metallic black. I wanted something slightly custom, and I think it matches the boat a bit better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(btw, my buds on a Crestliner site do not like the coon tail. Are they passe? I know, I know, you do what you like, and be happy with it. Just curious if it's unanimous that I should loose it.)

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I like it (the boat and the coon tail).

19. wow... never looked at this thread before. some awesome machines out there.

20. RustyCOE

RustyCOE
    from Texas

1980 hydrostream "Frankenstream" build: I loved my fiberglass 16'-8" Hydrostream "Vamp" open bow cruiser but always dreamed that the back of it would have looked like the racier Hydrostream "Vector" hull. It has a sexy waist and wide low sweeping aft section... so..... I did the H-A-M thing and started my boat build with a chain saw.

I cut 6' off the aft section of the Vector and did some fiberglass oragami to graft that sexy butt to my beautiful Vamp body. The completed hull came out 19' long. I'm about 1/2 way done - the decks and sides are complete, but the bottom will take a while.

It will be a poker run boat... to go hang out with my buds on the river.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  21. Search Dog

Search Dog
    from Western CT

My dad had a barn find of a square-sterned Old-Town canoe in the early '70s. The canvas hull covering was all rotted away, and the story around town was that it was used during the devastating flood of '55 where it was used to rescue some local people, then put away in the loft of the barn.
    Without regard for history, my dad decided to replace the canvas with fiberglass, and because it was his first time working with the stuff put too much on. During a trip to Maine he stopped at the Old Town factory to see if he could get matching yokes for the oarlocks, and the old timer at the parts room said they hadn't used those oarlocks since 1935! Sure enough, years later I was able to find print ads from that era showing his canoe.

So he did a great job sanding and varnishing all the interior spars and seats and glassed the hull. That was his trout fishing boat for decades, until his fishing buddy died and he never used it again.

For the last 15 years it has sat in MY barn on sawhorses.
    Anybody want to buy a antique square-sterned canoe? :D

22. 7car7

7car7
    from Washington

I'd like to see some bigger pics. Very interesting boat, and project.

23. RustyCOE

RustyCOE
    from Texas

7car7 I documented almost every cut and fit of my frankenstream project so far..... but don't have the pics with me. I posted them on Screamandfly.com a few years back when it was front burner project. You could probably still find the post under "Frankenstream".

We bought a big sailboat and spent a couple years in the Bahamas so I shelved my fiberglass oragami project... but it's about time to break it out again.

One more Bahama trip in March, some home renovations and the 'Stream will live again. I'll be back on the Hydrostream project by the end of 2014. I purchased coosa board for all the structural members so there will be no wood in it, and I have a neat interior planned for the boat.

I am an old powerboat racer / boat designer and have a totally unique bottom designed. If I can keep the boat around 700# I'm expecting speed to be in the mid 90's with a modern 250 merc. With the old '80 model 200 Mariner the original Vamp was a true 80 mph ride. Modern engine power is now prop rated instead of "at the powerhead" so I'm actually adding 80 HP.... with the much better bottom and extra length I'd like to say triple digits are in order, but I know how hard the century mark is, especially with an open bow boat. If I can bump it up 15 mph I'll be more than happy.

The little 11' boat I designed and built with a 25 Johnson my buddy built went over 80 mph with me in it. Yes, I did say 25 horsepower, not 250... The 2 cylinder engine was only slightly modified. The rules let us use an open megaphone and racing foot... but the inside of the engine is stock. Mind you they are very good parts from many different examples of the same engine chosen to match and measure correctly... but it is factory parts. My hull weighed 86 pound complete.

24. 63comet

63comet

Where are you?

If you're serious check out the Duckworks website too.

25. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

"The little 11' boat I designed and built with a 25 Johnson my buddy built went over 80 mph with me in it. Yes, I did say 25 horsepower, not 250... The 2 cylinder engine was only slightly modified. The rules let us use an open megaphone and racing foot... but the inside of the engine is stock. Mind you they are very good parts from many different examples of the same engine chosen to match and measure correctly... but it is factory parts. My hull weighed 86 pound complete."

You're either really crazy or really hung. I've been 80+ in a boat but "little 11' boat" is insane.

26. Hotrodtravis

Hotrodtravis
    from Mn

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377571829.495738.jpg I saw this one the other weekend, super cool.

27. RustyCOE

RustyCOE
    from Texas

naaa.. and I just run gas and oil. The fast guys burn alky and nitro. The 350CC alky guys are bumpin' 100 mph in 13' boats. This is my roundy round boat, we race 3 laps around a 1 mile course. This is the 25 Johnson I set the most records with. On this boat 70mph is about all I can do. My straight-away boat can handle much higher speeds, it's made stricktly for top end so it doesn't need to turn or accellerate quickly.

Sort of like a go cart for the water.... lol.

Attached Files:

• t1.JPG
      t1.JPG
      File size:
      56.3 KB
      Views:
  28. RustyCOE

RustyCOE
    from Texas

This one is fun too, it's a mid 70 mph boat, 13 hp, spins the prop 40,000 rpm's... and it's only 4' long! Radio controlled. The motor is electric, it runs on 52 volts 200 amps! I have trouble keeping the wires from melting if I run hard for over 2 minutes. LiPo batteries are awesome. You can weld with a big rod on 200 amps....

If you look close you can see the prop above the surface at 40K and the wake of the boat launching out of a turn. Here's one of the props I built for it. Its stainless - 2" diameter, .020 thick and very sharp! That board it's setting on is 3" wide...lol notice the nail head indention on the right? If you hit the throttle hard at 50 mph, you can blow the boat right over with power. I mean think about it, 13 hp and only 6 pounds! 2HP / pound. How would you like to have a 2500 pound mustang with 5,000 HP?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  29. Buzznut

Buzznut

Cool, but not vintage. Stay focused.... :rolleyes:

30. 63comet

63comet