Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Is anyone going to Seaside, OR or Longbeach WA for the Rod Run?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Rodder, Aug 25, 2013.

1. A Rodder

A Rodder

Curious if any hambers are heading to either the

Seaside, Oregon Waves & Wheels Show or
    Longbeach, Washington's Rod Run to the End of the World?

Both in two weeks and are great shows. They are only about 40 miles apart as well.

We and four other couples rented a big house in Seaside.

We probably won't "ENTER" into either show but will attend both in the '56 wagon and do thr cruise in Longbeach.

Hope to see some hambers there.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That 40 miles is an hour and a half trip on a good day and probably a two hour + trip on that weekend if not longer.

I was in Long Beach a week an a half ago and stayed at the KOA by Ilwaco on 101. If anyone plans to tent it there take ear plugs as the noise off the highway won't let you have much sleep. The campground is ok and reasonable and the restrooms and showers are ok but the highway noise is a killer for sleep in a tent.

3. A Rodder

A Rodder

How slow do you drive? :)

I think it took us 45 minutes to get from one to the other.

4. The one thing you need to watch out for is the police radars as you enter any of the small towns along the river or as soon as you cross the bridge on the WA side. If you did Seaside to Long Beach in 45 minutes you were easily ''radar bait'' and got extremely lucky.

5. snaptwo

snaptwo

I plan to be in the area for a God son's wedding so I'll come out for sure ! No hot rod unless I can figure out how to get it on the plane , probably a boring rental . That area is really scenic , a real sight for these 'ol desert rats eyes !

6. A Rodder

A Rodder

Well, you may be right. I had been in fast driving mode. On the way to seaside along the Pacific coast hwy, 12 miles before seaside we got nailed for 77 in 55 going uo the hill.....

Only my second ticket ever, but certainly justified. We made it there from Eugene in just under 3 hours.

I tend to drive a little more cautiously now, and we have a rod coming with us sporting mechanicals.

7. Grudge

Grudge

Driving my very slow 49 Ford to Long Beach.

Aaron

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Google maps says 33 miles from Longbeach wa to Seaside oregon and 47 minutes but factoring in Labor day weekend traffic with old farts in motorhomes, mini vans loaded with families, fishermen towing boats of all sizes heading to and from the river and an hour an a half each way isn't out of line.
    Add in the black SUV and cruiser both with radar in Chinook and it slows things down a bit.

Longbeach and Seaside are always jammed on summer holidays even without the addition of car shows. Even on Monday afternoon it took about ten minutes to go the length of Longbeach proper from the Crab Pot to the Sand Castle RV park. Bumper to bumper traffic both ways on Monday on a weekend that wasn't a holiday with no special events in town.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  9. Coupe Deluxe

Coupe Deluxe

I have never tried to attend both shows on the same weekend. As far as Long Beach goes, I would not let traffic concerns color you're decision to go or not. I have attended the Long Beach show for the last six years and the only heavy traffic I've encountered is at the cruise afterwards. I usually arrive Friday evening and leave shortly after the show. I take highway 4 on the Washington side from Longview all the way to Sandpiper road (the street the show venue is on) Sandpiper will take you directly into Ocean Park. I will be there again this year in my 40 Coupe.

10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

That's Sandridge

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What coupe deluxe suggested by turning on Sandpiper road and bypassing downtown Longbeach on the way in to the show venue would save a fair amount of time.

If a guy hasn't been before it might be a good idea to print out this map of the Peninsula for reference.
    [​IMG]

I see that there is also a section left out in the middle of that map. It's been 30 years since I've been to a rod run down there back in the days when they did the poker run thing giving you a piece of the huge dash plaque at each poker stop.

12. mj40's

mj40's

I did both a few years back and enjoyed the Beach Baron's run the most. Lots of high dollar cars and trailers parked around Seaside. I got a speeding ticket in Seaside just as you come into town from the North. Speed changes from 55 to 20 in a school zone there and they had a miget on a 3 wheeled bike on the sidewalk (children present) with a motorcycle cop writing the $220 ticket. Ticket was for 35 in a school zone and mid morning with kids in class. Signs were only about a foot square on the corner coming in. Me bad! Cop told me there were a couple more stings down to Newport.

13. Boosted54

Boosted54

I will be hitting the Seaside event Fri and Longbeach Sat. Longbeach is a way better show and although there is a huge police presents they are pretty laid back compared to the massive forces in Astoria, Warrenton, Seaside areas.

14. A Rodder

A Rodder

Also on a side note, I think it was three or four years ago when we were at Longbeach at the cruise was the shooting on the sidewalk.....

Anyone remember that? The owner of North River Boats shot his girlfriend because she was gonna spill the beans to the I.R.S.......

Anyways, I like the idea of going up the east side of the peninsula using Sandridge Rd. That would save quite a bit of time.

I agree the show in WA is better than Seaside. I kinda thought the Seaside show was leaning a little more to the Wine Sippers a little bit. But if you can do both you might as well.

15. fleetside66

fleetside66

Wow, I travelled (as a tourist) from The Dalles to Pacific City five or so years ago & don't recall seeing one cop. I then saw a news show about the shortage of state police in Oregon, so I'm thinking things have changed. Either way, Seaside should be a dream location for a show....wish I could be there. I'm envious!

16. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

As of right now (mon eve) it's looking like rain at both so prepared...

17. april may

april may

I did Seaside last year, Rod Run this year. Just checked the weather, 0% of precipitation. But, we all know that can change at any moment.

18. silversink

silversink

I'll be sitting on the side of the road at 201st watching the parade. Havnt' missed the last 15 years. Used to get pretty rowdy at 201st but the cops keep a close eye on us now, but we sneak in a little(a lot) of drinking and some bare chested girls now and then.

19. Boosted54

Boosted54

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. A Rodder

A Rodder

Weather was awesome on Sat and Sun.
    Both shows were excellent.
    ANYONE going up next year should consider the Sand Ridge Rd route. It saved a ton of time.