Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hop up mods for 1928 Hudson Super Six?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kiwijeff, Mar 5, 2013.

1. I found a trailer for sale on the net, and bid $50 on it. It was tiltled, v8 Hudson front end, i think. Anyways, i got it as no one else bid. Arrived here today. I think the axle may be 26 27 Hudson, with 37 v8 Ford wheels adapted. Gave the stainless trim rings on it to my mate, who brought it over from otherside of island. The springs are rear springs, and i just happen to need some. Hope they fit. The Hudson two front hubcaps that came with it, cleaned up nice.

Attached Files:

2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

score well worth $50 , neat hubcaps

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. Captainjunk#2, i hope i havnt used up my luck. Turns out leaf springs were the same from 24 till 29, so trailer got pulled apart today. Got attacked by an angry spider. Blew it to bits with the grinder. Lol. Heres a couple more pics.

Attached Files:

4. Heres a couple of Super 6 in primer. I was going to paint it dark green like original, but Mo reckons i should paint it red.

Attached Files:

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nope dark green would look better on the engine : )

6. Captain j, the red is due to it being a speedster, and even though im favoring the green, im looking at a red and biege color scheme. I will let the car tell me when its ready. Got the axle and springs off the frame today, but couldnt undo the 3/4 nuts on spring u bolts. Ill sort that tomorrow.

Attached Files:

7. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Green!! How's the weather down there? (Under)?

8. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Cool lil' project there Jeff, i can do you a fibre 40 std hood, the mold is a little old but still useable, PM me if you're interested.

Scotty

9. F Mike, weather packed up down here a few weeks ago, after an awesome summer. Scotty, im still undecided on what to do about body, but i like the idea of a 40 bonnet. I will PM you if i decide to use it. Thanks. I have to buy some plywood for the bucks, but that has to wait untill ive got a few jobs done on my 29. I need side and rear windows installed before winter really sets in, and a few other things. As this thread seems to have turned into a build thread, i will list what i need, to get it done.

10. The list. Carb (any sort that,ll work) radiator, good front and rear wheels, (they have diffrent centers) plywood for bodybuck, body material, (still undecided, but prefer steel) steering wheel, gas tank, seats, and wire kit. Theres two holes at front of chassis to be filled, and the chassis needs a little straightning. Also need brake actuaters (and i know i spelt that wrong). Oh yeah, and then theres paint. I have some big items to be sandblasted, and the smaller stuff can be done with 57mads garnet blasting cabnet. Im sure theres more i cant think of.

11. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

was the local hudson guru Geoff Clarke? i don't think he's much on hot rods lol! if so, i bet he can get that engine purring like a kitten. i love his articles in the wtn. he is a wealth of info.

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. Hoggyrubber, you are correct. Geoff is awesome, and yes, he dont like hot rods. Lol. Hes having a 28 grille badge made for me at present. Then i just need a grille to put it on. Ha! Tried prying a Fordson grille off a local hamber and friend on the weekend, but he didnt answer every time i asked. Davewp, you know it would look great on a speedster. Eh buddy... Its been a tough few weeks here, but im going to get back into this in next few weeks. Had to farewell a very good friend, who passed away to soon.

13. Hoggyrubber, Geoff has owned both the 28 and the 29 engine that i have, in the past.

14. 'Mo

'Mo

You'd have to figure out how to cool it, but the Christman coupe used two '40 (Deluxe) hoods to form the nose.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2013
    kiwijeff likes this.
  15. Mo, the 40 hood idea is for the boattail rear section, if i go that way. I may just do the cowl and half sides, with no rear section yet. Sure is fun having lots of options. Thanks for the cool pic though, im familar with their other racer, as a kiwi has built a great copy, but hadnt seen the coupe before.

16. I still say find a '46-47 Hudson hood for the tail and keep it all in the same automotive family :D

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. Mac, if i could find one down here, i would. Hudsons have a big history here, so i might get lucky. Its a nice morning here today, so im going to work on the car today. Dont know what ill tackle yet, theres no shortage of jobs to do. Im supposed to be working on a mates 37 Ford PU.

18. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

If ya' wanna' research some fabric coverings, Google "Stits Poly Fiber", as it's pretty much replaced the "dope and fabric" method from years ago.

19. Thanks Chuck, i will check that out. Didnt get anything done today. Had good intensions, but got subverted. Lol.

20. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

i love reading about all those old engines Geoff gets running in his articles. i'm not a real hot rodder because if i lived close to him i would prob ditch the hot rod and pick his brain about the old stuff. hey, by the way, i need a 27 essex grille so don't feel bad.

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. I just got a bunch of NZ Triangle magazines, and have been reading flat out. Great to have so much info right there. Dont know of any 27 grilles spare down here. I have rear springs sitting under chassis. Cant put em in, until i borrow a heavy jack. I broke my one, jacking up the front end. These things are heavy!

22. One of my customers couldnt pay his bill, so i took it in trade. Here he is welding up hole in front of chassis. I went and brought a stick welder the next day. Now i can practice, cause my welding sucks.

Attached Files:

23. A small update. I got the rear springs sandblasted. They did a crap job, but i finished them up with a finishing disc. Got them in primer, but its been to cold for paint. Just sorting more stuff for blasting today. Will post a few pics when done. I havnt touched the engine latley, but will be tackling that soon. Decided on the dark green for top coat.

24. I think i found answer to original question, on hopping up the Super Six. It involves more investigation, so no details yet, except to say an SU carb can and has been directly bolted to the head. I have been using molasses to clean up parts latley. It works great.

25. Im putting the cart before the horse here. For the last 3 or 4 months, ive had a grille badge getting made. Good things take time, and im real happy with it, but i still need a grille shell to put it on. Anyway, heres a pic. Its made from brass, thats been tarnished and had white enamal put in the lettering and border.

Attached Files:

26. 28-31

28-31

The details make the difference -- looks good!

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. 28~31, you are right. Details make a car. Today i mounted the diff and rear springs. Did my back in, with shifting around the huge diff. Also played around tryn to unstick the motor. Old Mo turned up, and was impressed with the badge. I think ive sold the cowl, so may b able to start on Speedster body soon.

Attached Files:

28. oversteer

oversteer

Hi Kiwijeff, I have a few 27 Essex parts lying around if you need any (not sure how similar they are to a Hudson). I'm also 99% sure I have a 27 Essex grill stashed away somewhere

kiwijeff likes this.
  29. Hey Oversteer, Essex is made By Hudson, but was a smaller version. Id be interested in the grille as a tempary measure, and my old buddy Mo has a 27 Essex project that needs lotsa parts. Have a look at what you have, and PM me with a list, and your phone number. Ill give you a bell. Cheers. Im also looking for an SU carb off an English Rover. The large SU.

30. oversteer

oversteer

All good, I'm heading down to Tauranga this weekend where all my parts are in a container so will get back to you next week. Cheers, Hamish

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!