Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about the rear filler panel of 55-56 Pontiacs, Chevys, and Olds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56PontiacPiano, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Like a Cadillac from the 70s, my rear filler panel (or whatever that section between the body and the bumper is) is rotted away. Partly could be because my car was rear ended before I got it. Is anyone aware of whether or not this panel is compatible with the Chevy's and Oldsmobiles of the same years? Or would I probably have to fabricate my own new panel, or even just weld in new sections to the rotting.

2. Olds isn't even the same body.

If you mean the piece below the trunk opening, you can probably make the Chevy panel work, the trunk lip and opening shape are the same, the ends below the taillights are probably different.

If you mean the splash apron itself, the flat piece that trims out between the body and the bumper, that's Pontiac only. You'll have to track down a used piece somewhere.

3. Someone told me an Olds was swappable...hm. You should be able to see the rotting I'm talking about in this picture...I don't know what that would be called specifically.

Attached Files:

4. 55chieftain

55chieftain

If the Chevy one would work, at least the center section area would have to be grafted on. The Chevy is straight accross whereas the Pontiac has the seperate center thats bolted on. Those are real bad for rusting because of the body line where a couple of the panals meet together collects moisture.

5. Hope I can find someone that can cut me off one from a poncho in the future...then again, I could improve my fabricating skills I guess once I get into metal work, so I might just do it myself.

6. Just need one off a western or southern donor.

7. I gotta take a trip down south to one of those yards one day...I see plenty of gold down there in some of those yards. Save them before they get crushed...

8. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

It looks like you are talking about a tailpan. A 55 - 57 Chevy should fit or could be modified to fit a 55 - 57 Pontiac. The edge that follows the bumper may be different, but the trunk lid edge should match. As far as I know, 55 - 57 Chevy and 55 - 57 Pontiac trunk lids interchange.

9. That must be it. Really, just the straight piece in between. The curved parts are fine, unless the bumper is hiding something...I had some trouble getting the bumper off so I'm not going to worry about it for now. I probably deal with this when I finish 12th grade and go on to trade schools and such. Thanks for the info

10. 2racer

2racer