Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saved from the clutches of doom - 1963 Mercury Monterey Custom Breezeway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rprice76, Mar 13, 2013.

1. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

That table was not meant to hold 150+ pounds of Detroit Engineering. Home-Depot special at $15 last year. I got my money's worth out of it yesterday. I Don't think its good for anything else now. Note to self - build a work bench first next time!

2. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

your killing me already!!!!!!!!! call in from work and put the tranny back in

3. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Crazy - I know. I have a lot of non-car projects in the fire right now. One of my houses is in some dire need of attention (I had squatters) and work is very hectic. I wish I could just take a few days off to get it done - but we have no backups at work. Hopefully that will change soon and I can just knock this car out in a few days.

4. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

I can completely understand what you mean.. I switched shops (same company) just a longer drive and more work, more work hours too,..., and have side work coming out my ears. Plus my honey do list has grown!!! Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Ha-Ha Crazy Tonguezz...your going to hate me....na...just kidding (inside joke with him)...RP..your not the only one in SV with a 63-64 Merc..I'm in the SV area...I have a 64 Parklane Marauder 2dr with the sport package option...at one time had 3 of them...I'm out in Whetstone now...Have you seen the 2 tone blue 63 2dr Marauder in SV?...it once belonged to Milo..(Huachuca city junkyard)...last I saw that car was about 2 yrs ago in SV..I was driving a 64 flat black Monterey Marauder 2dr at the time...we used to meet at Schlotzskys on the friday evenings....but that crowd has since broken up........OK..the inside joke with Crazy is...he has first dibs on my parts stash....I .parted a marauder out...ive been chatting with Crazy for a couple of weeks now...Great guy!!
    PS...I remember that black S-55 on C'list....it was a heap...and they were asking gold for it...watching too much B-J auctions I think!...lol

6. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

And dibs on anything rprice76 wants .... Lmao just kidn ! Now we can both pick your garage apart John. Like a bunch of vultures. Hahaha

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. No....I keep my word...your first in line..no matter what.......
    oh wait ....he just PM'ed me.....damn sorry Roy...I .knew you really needed that stainless trim........lmao......JK

8. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

Bawhahahahahaha.

9. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Hey! Nice to meet another SVer! I think I remember seeing the blue Marauder. Don't remember where - but it was at least a year ago if not more when I saw it. I noticed the Schlotzky group had stopped meeting.

Nice to know there are more people down here with old Mercs! Compared to the Ford scene - its a LOT smaller!

Yes that black S-55 was a HEAP and expensive. I almost pounced on it - but - then I noticed how truly BAD the rust was.

Really Crazy? You have to wait until he's not looking to post something like that! Sheesh! Now you've spoiled the whole vulture thing.

LOL - only things I'm looking for now are the bottom passenger trim and a trunk lid. Even those parts are not #1 on my list. I may get back to working on the Monterey ONE day this coming weekend. Two are spoken for - but I might just make one.

Its killing me - all I have to do is pull the TQ and bell housing, flush the TQ and put it all back together. Hopefully I don't end up with extra parts!

10. RP...your welcome to come visit...im just west off Mustang Corners...PM me for details,

Yes..from what i heard....they were asked to leave the store.......they got too pushy with how they wanted to be seated (blocking doorways)......i quit going way before this happened....as the other problem we also had was-...the age groups were too big....most of the older crowd were retired check book restorers.....the older guys just didnt want to hang out with us younger guys (shit and im 51!)...we never got asked to go with them on cruises...so i thought...fuck you too, fair weathered friends i can find anywhere.. ...and....all we heard every friday evening is...oh my health this..or my health that....fuck..go nag to your wives...not us...lol...we wanted car nights / talk!!...not how close to the grave you are.....lol

PS...I drove this at the time...since sold it.

Attached Files:

11. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

My experiences with them was the same. I stopped by when they were at Pizza - and went in to complement one on his car. I asked politely who owned said car and one guy piped up that he did - he acted as if that was his due and ignored me entirely. Really?

*shrug*

Another time I stopped by to ask another about his car at Schlotsky's- and not only did he ignore me - he totally avoided me and put his back to me.

Owning a classic car does not entitle you to a special social club and allow you to be an jerk to all and sundry.....

Nuff said. :rolleyes:

12. Yup...thats them....think we owe them the world...just because you wrote a check for a $30,000 car?...numb nuts.
    ...what cars were they?....the way he treated you...sounds like a real short fat old dude (i wont mention names yet)...always wears brown suites...looks like a UPS man?....ass hole walked up to me one time....say this "damn it john...im not having as much fun with cars as i used to...im down to only being able to spend $200K a year on them now"....fuck dude!...cry me a river!!

we've been trying to start up a more down to earth group here (must say...not been easy)...you know...guys with day jobs, kids and mortgages?...and build/work on their own cars!...not just open a check book...with million dollar retirements....guys that want to cruise up to Tuscon and go to Little Anthony's cruise in's...etc..have fun...naaa...what was i thinking...I live in Sorry Vista...lmao
    again....your always welcome to come hang out....i have a good size mancave/shop of 1600sq here....would be great to get a good bunch of guys doing stuff with cars...
    JS
    true story...we asked a owner one time....what model Chevy is it?...oh..its a 210 or 211?
    same....Nuff said..

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  13. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Regular guy with a job? Check - that would be me. I work in computers - non car related - but it pays the bills. I have debt (yup - like everyone else) can I pay 200k for a car restoration? Heck no! Someday would be good to get together and see your collection.

Crazy should come down and enjoy our much cooler climate but not spread the secret about it to other Phoenicians lest we be overrun! :cool:

14. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

i will for sure have to come visit before it gets cold out there. i hate cold weather. i turn into a princess and cry when its cold.
    Im that rare guy who thinks this 115 degree weather is amazing and you would want to punch me in the face cause im smilling in the summer outside.. or think i was just a mental retard lol..

15. I do have a collection...of junk...not cars....lol....my 64 is still a basket case....but its all there....no rust....just rode hard....real hard....lol...it does have some history with her....was owned by a USA gold medalist

16. stimpy

stimpy

r price , a little secret for transmission removal , by a set of 24" and 18" x 1/2 drive extensions and universals and a roll of electrical tape , thats how we take them out , you have to use a 1/2 drive as the 3/8 ones will act like a spring ( you can use a 3/8 to put them back together but not torque the bolts , the electrical tape is to secure the socket and make the universal a little stiff so it don't flop around and to help line it up to the bolt head . makes a lot easier even to take the bolts out of the bell housing without having to jack the transmission around and giving skin grafts and blood donations to the car ..

BTW nice car and great deal . former inlaws had a 64 Parklane Brougham 4 door with the window and 410 , my SIL burned the tranny up in it because she was like your Po , put gas in but nothing else .she also almost ran it out of oil on several occasions , she blamed the oil marks in the drive on my car , her father agreed as he said her car didn't have any oil in it to leave on the driveway , hmm my cars never leaked just smoked ..

17. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Mopar -- I prefer the non-restored cars - or at least seeing them on their WAY to being restored. LOL. My 63 is some years off from being finished!

Thanks for the hints!

Yah the PO totally jacked this nice old car. Time will get her in shape though.

18. barstowpo

barstowpo

Here is my latest project. I like the 60's stock car look so I put 15x8 inch wheels all the way around.

Attached Files:

19. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

Get the other one

20. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

I agree with the post about getting some long extensions and universals or "wobblies" as we call them. Any time I do a transmission removal in my shop its a total clusterf*ck of extensions and wobblies...then again we have the luxury of a giant air compressor and impact guns. True story: to get the transmission out of a Nissan 350z (yeah I know OT) I had a 12" extension, a wobbly, an 18"extension and another wobbly with a 3" extension and finally a socket on the bolt. It took some really creative bending/flexibility on my part to get it all lined up but in the end it worked!

Super sweet ride man, those 60s mercs were definitely in a class of their own. This thing is just begging to be driven...so hurry up and get her back together!!!

21. Nice Montclair!...
    if mine wasnt a parklane..it would get the same treatment...love the 60's ford Nascar look..

22. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

This sucks!

I had set aside this weekend to work on the Merc. And what happens? Rain rain and more rain in the forecast.

23. it does suck....but....at least it cooled off!

24. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

I set few hours aside before going to work, to finally go to DVAP , and as soon as I'm on my way rain starts coming down,.. from that area too!! I almost turned around.. But i said screw it! Got there was raining but it was worth it .

25. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Well -

I made some progress today. Not a lot to show for it though. We moved the Merc under a friend's carport - then spent an hour or so getting it up on stands and ramps. As we discussed the rebuild and made sure everything was good - we realized we may have forgotten the Modulator Shift Rod. Sure enough when we pulled the modulator it was missing!!!

So another two hours spend looking for it only to conclude it may have been tossed.

NO FEAR!

Some research revealed you can replace the rod with a thick nail cut down to 2" 13/16. So once done - that was replaced.

For info - the modulator rod controlls the shift into second from 1st. Without it - the transmission will miss 2nd entirely and head into 3rd. The length controlls how hard / soft the shift is. I have an adjustable modulator that looks new so - here's hoping.

Then we spent another hour to pull the bell housing and done for the day.

This picture tells a story - anyone guess what that is? Hint - oil.

Attached Files:

26. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Oil leak in that area. Judging by the color possibly engine oil. Don't automatically assume rear main seal though if if is engine oil...

My rule is always make sure to keep looking up when looking for oil leaks. I've seen more than a few misdiagnosed rear main seals that wound up being a leaky valve cover or intake gasket.

27. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Yah - I'm trying to pinpoint the oil leak area. Now that the Bell Housing is off I'll get in there with a shop light and look around. Torque Converter comes off next. Any tricks to getting the engine to turn / rotate enough to get the bolts out? This thing has some SERIOUS compression!

28. Take out all the spark plugs, will be a lot easier to spin by hand.

Bob

29. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Um wow....why didn't *I* think of that....a real DUH moment!!!! :D

30. jhooch

jhooch

Cool project! I have a '64 Mercury Montclair Marauder 2dr HT. Mine is the H code 266 horse 390. Sure glad you saved it from the crusher.

Attached Files: