Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stripers who use Beugler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joey Anchors, Aug 25, 2013.

1. chevy2junk

chevy2junk

The wheels with the beugler have little knurl lines in them and they will mark the surface even with these least amount of pressure.Just try a brush .Line consistency will come with learning the proper paint consistency..Buy a good brush mack has a new brush coming out called the peewee striper its outstanding.

2. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Using the brushes or the tool.. Either way requires lots and lots of practice. I tried using the beugler and it was difficult because I was used to brushes, but the guy who owned it was great at it and couldn't do brush work. He even did flames with a beugler and very fast too.
    Give both a try. See what you like and what fits you best

3. stimpy

stimpy

when I was at my pinstrippers shop getting my petercar done , I saw he had one on the shelf , covered with 20 years or so worth of dust . asked him about it , he tried it and didn't like it . hes a brush man . when he stripped my pick up he ran the length of the truck in one swipe ,curiosity got the better of me , we used a apiece of string to check , it was straight all the way down .when your good your good , but he has been doing this since ???? and hes in his late 60's now .

4. i've been behind a brush for 10 years.
    i own a beugler.
    it is a tool with a very specific use.
    i dont use it.

if you take the time to learn how to use it, its awesome for doing stuff like wheels and long lines on signs and even for production work on cars, BUT for creative pinstriping, it will NEVER replace a brush. EVER.

i would invest my time in learning how to use a brush that can do SOOOOO much more than a mechanical tool with mechanical limitations.

price the cost of a beugler. you can buy a handful of brushes for the same price.
    the cost of materials per job is potentially greater with the beugler.
    the time it takes to change colors in a working environment is unacceptable, given all the cleaning. you need to own more than none at the individual cost to do multi color jobs.

price the cost of a Mack 00 sword. i own and use the very first Mack sword I ever bought 10 years ago. i still use half pints of one shot i bought years ago because i can ration paint with a brush.

i have a gang of 'speciatly' brushes that i have bought over the years, each with very desirable traits, but none have beaten the Mack sword for durability, versatility or any thing else.

as with anything else...
    decide what it is you want to do, and choose your tools appropriately.

5. weisnersdesign

weisnersdesign
    from St. Paul

My father has an original one that sat in the box so long it became fused with the "foam" it was stored with... Someone might have spilled thinner in there just not me ha.. But I cleaned it and tried it.. Eh

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. You just can't get the look and soul that flows out of a brush being held by some one that "has it". Plus, all the knurl marks from the paint wheels of the beugler will permanently mark the finish of your guitar when you wipe off your unsuccessful attempts at a design. That will generate tears. You asked. Most of the stripers here are telling you that brushes are best, I would take their advice. -H.R.D-

7. RatRoy

RatRoy

It appears that no one has every captured a picture of a striping job done with a Beugler. Must be very rare and worth a lot of money...;):rolleyes:

8. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

I was just thinking the same thing...

9. If you're using One-Shot, do you thin the paint or use it right out of the can?

10. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

I used mine once about 35 years ago, I wasn't all that impressed, never used it again.

11. TJratz

TJratz

I Use One..Usually To Do Wheels

12. Figured I'd weigh in on this since I have had one since 1978.It has been used exactly twice:the first time when it was purchased(for me by the customer)to do a 4 ft. x 16 ft. board that had to have eighth inch lines spaced one inch apart for the full length and heighth.Worked great. The second time was when I tried it on the side of a car.Washed it out and put it back in the box and did the job with my trusty brush.Last time I opened the box the foam had deteriorated and welded itself to the heads and body of the striper.Had another one given to me and I gave that away to a friend of mine.

The two biggest issues I have with them is that the paint consistency has to be thicker than brushing but not too thick.1-Shot right out of the can works well as long as it is a fresh can of paint and is stirred thoroughly before use.Any lumps in the paint will clog the head in short order.

The second issue is the time involved to properly clean the tool each time it is used.This is especially true if you are doing a two color stripe. In the time it takes to load the tool;do a stripe;clean the tool and load a second color in;do the stripe and then clean it out I could lay double stripes on two or three cars.

Another problem is once you start the tool down the side of a car you cannot lift it up and re-position it back on the line without getting a huge blotch in the line. Also if the tool isn't kept at precisely 90 degrees to the surface you will get a variation in line width. With practice you can "walk" the length of the car without picking up the tool but doing this and maintaining the tool perpendicular is nigh impossible.They also have a tendency to "skip" if the paint isn't feeding into the head properly.

Then there is the cost involved. The basic tool with a few heads will run about $150(the one I got in 1978 was $125 at the time).The average price of a Mack 00 striping brush today is about $15.You do the math. For the price of the tool,you could have a couple brushes and about a half dozen cans of paint and reducer.

For production work on flat surfaces they cannot be beat;for decorative striping;stick to brushes.

As an aside: I have seen examples of decorative striping and even small lettering(!)done with a Beugler and it was good. I would have loved to watch it being done. Also I must say that Gary Jensen is the master of the Beugler for side striping.

13. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

I found a photo of some good free hand practicing done with the Beugler and it give me hope that with enough practice it can be done. I'll post the picture later today..

14. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

Here is that pic I found.. the striping looks pretty damn good.

[​IMG]

15. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I have one. I think the time it takes to really figure the thing out and lay perfect lines with it would go a long way with a brush. As said it will lay a straight line really far though.

16. I watched the guy at the car show, more than likely the same guy who did the drawings depicted above and for him it was very easy to demonstrate the tool. It didn't take long for it to dawn on me after attending the Portland swap meet for 20 years, it was the same guy year after year and he always demonstrated with the same designs. He sold me one 20 some years ago just like the guy did who welds up a hole in a coke can with a propane torch. Big shows are like the County Fair, ya gotta try everything (shamwow)

17. The Beugler is great for looong lines on big flat surfaces like billboards, I used one on really big (like 6")wheels of a horse drawn coach and it worked ok, but for anything else specially on something small like a guitar it does suck. use a brush !