Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting disasters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stan's52, Aug 25, 2013.

1. stan's52

stan's52

I am sure I am not the only one that screwded something up painting. One that comes to mind. I was mixing a small amount of primer. poured out my material in a can. set the can next to the still open can of new primer. I measured out the hardener, and proceded to pour it into the still open can of new primer:eek: Stan

2. '48IHC

'48IHC

Doing a complete on a 98 s10, the pickup was blown apart. Had a guy helping me and he was putting on the final fog coat of base on the cab since it was metallic and he dropped the paint gun and the cup flew off (it was a pps cup system ) and splattered paint all over the cab, hood and one door. So we had to let it flash off and sanded out every splatter mark and re-base all the parts

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Paint disaster?
    Look at my car and the tires, LOL. Fuggin rustoleum cans and glidell white wall paint.
    Also rained a couple times while it was barely dry.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  4. wayne-o

wayne-o

Early 70's, painting my T-Bucket in my garage. Wet the floor down with a water hose. Put the final coat of clear lacquer on, backed up to admire my work and stepped on the water nozzle and sprayed the whole side of the wet body.

5. Oh wait, I have another painting disaster. Not relating to cars, but still worth sharing. Had a can of white paint because I was trying to paint my piano keys instead of replacing them. Somehow, the closed can leaked through, leaked through a plastic bag, and got on the floor. Didn't notice it, stepped in it, and tracked paint all through my mother's new house. Carpet and hardwood. Nearly shit myself because I felt so guilty, stupid, and bad.

6. I have a fear that I'm going to shoot something and forget to mix in the hardener. Hasn't happened to me (knocking on wood) but I've heard of it happening and can't imagine the god awful mess you would have on your hands.

7. '48IHC

'48IHC

I was sealing a hood and fender for a G8 Pontiac and I grabbed the clear hardener rather than the sealer catalyst. It took nearly 2 1/2 hours to flash off.

8. Overtime

Overtime

I've been in the middle of clearing and had a big three stage compressor give up the ghost...that was worse then starting from square one!

9. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

It happened to me! Putting primer on a 65 Bird, ended up with two, yes two, not just one coat of primer with two parts reducer (one part mid range and one part hi temp), the hi temp reducer can looks very much like the activator can. After three gallons of laquer thinner, six roles of paper towels, four pairs of rubber gloves and one bundle of triple ought steel wool it was finally all cleaned off.

Just not paying attention.....and I've been doing this stuff long enough to know better!

10. Just last weekend ... after many hours of body work, primer, blocking etc., I shot base on both doors of my '41 Ford PU project. Returned to the shop the following morning to shoot clear. The doors were hanging from my rigging of a 10' long 2x4 suspended between a couple of tall light stands. I was working alone but decided anyway that the stands needed to be moved about 2 feet toward the center of the garage floor. Not a problem (I thought), I'd just move each one a few inches at a time. About the time of the second lift-n-shuffle, things somehow got out of balance and in what seemed like a slow-motion nightmare, the whole rig (with doors) hit the floor with a sickening thud. After some loud profanity and inspection, the results were one door would only need some surface scratch repair before starting over and the other was a bit more serious, needing a serious bit of metal re-shaping before a do-over. Not a good day in the shop!

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

LOL!

Painted my motorcycle years ago, black lacquer hand rubbed. My friends looked in admiration as I reassembled it. Got it started, my girlfriend wanted to try it. I headed inside to take a crap, and no sooner did I plant myself on the toilet when I heard the crash, followed by the yelling of my friends. She was OK thank goodness, but my newly painted tank looked like a deflated beach ball.

12. Slimmey

Slimmey

Back in '79, I repaired my grandad's '69 Lincoln mark III (presidential blue), getting ready to put final coat (centari acrylic enamel), grabbed the paint gun, sprayed the qtr, it all went dead. I had grabbed the lacquer primmer (dark grey)gun by mistake.

13. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Had to repair a car once that someone had painted with no hardner or drier (air dry enamel). Stuff was like working with snot. Also grabbed a can of acetone once instead of lacquer thinner when I was mixing primer... turned to rubber in my gun. Just finished painting a yellow VW once and had a bumble bee crash in the middle of the roof right after I left the booth. He spun donuts on the roof until he slid down the windshield and all the way down the hood. Ah yes...the good old days...

14. '48IHC

'48IHC

Speaking of bugs.. How about That terrible feeling you get after you think you saved your paint job by pulling a bug out of the very wet clear when you notice all the legs are still there and too deep to color sand and polish out

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sent the owner of the old motorhome I was painting to the parts house/paint store for acrylic enamel reducer and the counter guy gave him a great deal on synthol enamel reducer that I didn't notice until after the whole lower side of the motorhome looked like pure hell.

16. stimpy

stimpy

just finished the clearcoat and was closing up the shop for the night, and noticed a note on the desk , saying put the cat out ... what cat ??? we do not have a cat , next morning come in , paw prints and scratches all over the car in the booth ( and on several cars in process in the shop ) must have ran in the booth while I was changing out clothes as I leave the man door open

, as for the cat , well what happened was the owners daughter found a stray and thought it would be nice to have at the shop( didn't bother to ask her dad just made it home ) . needless to say fluffy was dead as a door knob from the fumes when we found it in the beams above the paint booth , and the daughter was banned from the shop . had to totally refinish the car due to scratches down to the base metal and fur stuck to the clear coat .

another time we had a customer lean against his freshly primed car (he had to see it !) . ruined his suit .. or somone setting a pop can down on a curing multi layer clear coat .

and people wondered why we locked ourselves in the shop when we painted .

17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My favorite painting snafu is "chase the run". You know, when you get a sag and figure you can lay enough paint on to keep the sag running until it hits the bottom of the panel.

18. stimpy

stimpy

or the spray the enamel over the lacquer primer before its finished flashing off ( hot reducer ) . lays great , looks like a burn wound when it drys from the blisters , or wrinkled like a 90 year old person ..

( was a quick and easy wack pack job to make a panel look better on a used car, guy wanted it to be a 20 footer paint job )

customer found out the hard way about mix and matching systems , bought a real nice primer and base coat , and decided to use a cheap brand of clear coat against our and the suppliers wishes ( but he save 50 bucks ! :rolleyes:) , we cooked that car for 2 days to get it to dry . it cost us more in fuel for the heater than the price of buying the better clear coat . customer wasn't happy when he got the bill ..it was $300 more for the curing . so much for saving money , and the clear turned yellow and started to check in a year .

19. flamed34

flamed34

Was spraying the '47 merc in my avatar at my father's shop - $500+ a gallon base. I had laid down a tack coat and was putting down the first full coat. I worked around one side, across the back, along the 2nd side, around the front....and then I saw it: As I came around to the first side I had sprayed, it was covered in fish-eyes. As I walked around the car, fish-eyes were popping everywhere. Long story short, his compressor had started blowing oil. He forgot to mention that he had been adding weekly. The inline filters had become saturated with oil and it made it down the line and through the gun. A whole lot of cussing, letting it dry, sanding and wiping it all down, purging the air line, replacing the filters...

20. weisnersdesign

weisnersdesign
    from St. Paul

I do most of my small pinstriping/lettering jobs in my basement where spiders tend to hang out and I've had more that a few walk through wet paint and then proceed to walk around the tank and leave marks... I just leave it I think it's cool

21. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I don't have that fear anymore, not since I did it anyway. Shot the rally stripes on the Camaro hood w/o hardener. Sucks.

22. 1pickup

1pickup

just about everything I paint is a disaster...

23. Custompainter99

Custompainter99
    from San Jose

I've grabbed the wrong catalyst for the clear. After the car was based! I got the 1st coat of clear on and It never kicked off ..realizing what happend, I had to wipe the whole job down and start from square one.....last time I I made that mistake!!

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not having an issue, it's how to get out of it. Noticed a guy didn't add catalyst to the 1st coat of clear, although he insisted he did, but the plastic seal was still on the new can. I mixed up some with additional catalyst and slow solvent and went in and sprayed a nice wet coat on it, cranked up the heat and gave it an extra 10min. Turned out just fine, but you won't find that "fix" in any tech books. One of my worst cases was an O/T muscle car in B7 blue. 6 fuggin coats and it still wasn't covered! Thinking it's my gun, my reduction, essentially lost, my only recourse was scuff it all down and add more later. A local painter stopped in as I was cleaning up and I told him the issue. He dragged his foot on the floor (no booth) and said, "Hey man, it ain't you." as there was little to no over spray (HVLP). "Lemme guess, Dupont base?" "Yup, never again." I had to get another gallon for coverage and already had 6qts on the car and no roof (vinyl top car). I thought it looked weak from the start and I've always been a PPG guy. Still am...

25. Had the right front fender and door on the '51 primed and ready for acrylic enamel color coat (amatuer home garage paint job). Working on something on the work bench 10 feet from the car and sprayed some WD-40 :(. Fisheyes everywhere!

26. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

48IHC,

Re;Your quote,

"Speaking of bugs.. How about That terrible feeling you get after you think you saved your paint job by pulling a bug out of the very wet clear when you notice all the legs are still there and too deep to color sand and polish out "

How do you think the bug felt?

27. I went to the local PPG autobody paint supply house and had the clerk set me up with every thing I needed to paint my 48 Pan. I picked a late model dodge blue that had a little flake in it. The out the door price was some where over $300. I got it done and hated it. Once it dried I put a profile in the clear and went over it with a $13 can of rustolieum gloss black.

28. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Not really a disaster, but another example of my "More enthusiasm than Brains" moments...
    Not too long back I was spraying some 1939 Chevy headlight buckets a bright red.
    Finished, and had quite a bit of paint left, so poured it back into the can and went on with life....
    Later I decided to use that same red on something else.....and when I opened the can....yep you guessed it...it was almost solid paint...:eek::confused::rolleyes:
    Lesson learned here.....
    Don't dump paint that has hardener back in original can...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  29. I don't paint that often so when I have a problem, I assume it's something I've done, that's not always the case.
    I finally got to the point on my F-1 bed where I thought it was time to spray it with hi-build primer and start blocking. I was using Transtar Euro (black to match the final topcoat) primer on the recommendation of the paint store (Dupont Jobber). I&#8217;d used Transtar gray before on it with no problems, so okay. <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I got everything together, checked the mix ratio (even measured it) and started spraying, it looked like bed liner, massive orange peel. I adjusted the gun several times, no better. I decided to add a little reducer to the cup and try that, I open the canister, the primer had started to kick, it was the consistency of jelly. That equates to about a 4 minute pot life! I dumped everything and cleaned the gun frantically.<o:p></o:p>
    I decided it must have been too hot that day, so I tried again on a cool, early morning. I verified the mix ratio online as well as on the can. Same thing only worse! I took the solid lump of primer to the jobber and switched for the non &#8211;Euro type I had used previously. The bottom line was a defective batch from the manufacturer.

30. ksmith

ksmith

I painted my 89 s10 convertible. Got base coat done and flames done. And getting ready for clear. And not thinking about it I did color sanding. The base coat had flake in it. Didn't dawn on me it will leave streaks. Sprayed clear after that set pulled it out side and saw streaks everywhere. So I had to tape the flames off and redo the blue. That was a disaster.

Kasey