Register now to get rid of these ads!

Been taking a break from the Willys to build this.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trashn'l, Oct 8, 2012.

1. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

OK I misunderstood you

Another thing I've seen people do is use the rally wheel centers on cop wheels.

2. outlaw256

outlaw256

HELL YEAH!!!!!! me like ALOT!!!!!!!!!! but id be puttin on some cragar ss wheels and going to town...

3. Sweet! Just awesome!!
    Jealous much I am.

4. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Cool! Congrats

5. docmike

docmike

Nice score. I think you should run whatever wheels you like. Just be sure to send me the cop car wheels so that I know you aren't running them. ;)

Doc

6. von zipper

von zipper

7. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Put whatever wheels you want on it. It is your car.

8. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

KOOL KAR .....x20 on the steel wheels though

9. trashn'l

trashn'l

Sorry for no updates until now, but I have been spending my extra time trying to get the Polara put together. So here goes:

I picked up a Hemi scoop during CHRR last year and did a some lace paint:

[​IMG]

Powdercoated the police wheels black and added '65 hubcaps. I scored these real ET wheels for the front.
    [​IMG]

Gave the engine and compartment a face lift and added a new intake, valvecovers and white headers. Stuck in a .488 lift, 303 dur. cam with a new double roller timing chain, valvesprings and seals.

[​IMG]

I installed the hood scoop and painted the roof dark blue to match the scoop.

[​IMG]

10. trashn'l

trashn'l

While I was at it I added disc front brakes and a dual master cylinder along with rebuilding the front and rear suspension. Next was to tackle the ratty interior. Pulled everything out and installed fatmat on the floor and ceiling. It's hard to believe that there is no rest in the floor or trunk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next came new carpet, detailing the dash and console and adding an old Superior steering wheel and B$M shift knob that I had. New door panels were a birthday present from my wife and sons. We had a local upholsteret redo the seats with a little bit of silver metalflake for accent.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It still needs a windshield and headliner, that will come in the next couple of weeks.

"Scare" decals
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So here's result other the new headliner and windshield. It wears it's scratches and battle scars proudly and probably will as long as I own her but should make for some fun cruising. The plan is for this to be the tow car for my Willys gasser pickup someday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  11. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Way cool find..those year MoPars are awesome..
    And not to bore you, but another put the cop wheels and caps back on...it needs that character !!

12. Man,the car turned out nice. HRP

13. Heo2

Heo2

OHHH HOW UGLY i thought those cars were in
    the 70s. But now i realy like them
    Yes put slotmags in the rear and with that scoop
    and crank down the front torosin bars
    you have a real 70s street cruiser

14. trashn'l

trashn'l

The Polara is finished and my wife and I took it on it's first 400 mile road trip. We went back to our home town of McMinnville, OR for a little once a year cruising event.

Here's some pictures of the car finished:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. trashn'l

trashn'l

On the way, I took a little detour. Here's my '64 parked at the old entrance to the McMinnville dragstrip that closed in '64. They use it for gliders now and the old scale used to be still in the ground.

[​IMG]

We also stopped to show the family that I bought the car from what we had done. It was pretty touching to see the 95 year old Dad and the brother that I bought it from shed a tear of happiness over what we had done to their passed away son and brother's car. Here it is back in front of the carport that I pulled it out of 11 months ago.

[​IMG]

16. 39 Ford

39 Ford

You car but I second the above.

17. Chuck R

Chuck R

Favorite body style from Dodge. Looks great, if it were mine (too bad it's not) I would find some 15 x 8 ET's for the rear to match the fronts. You did a great job bringing it back to life. Bet you love driving it, should be a keeper.
    Enjoy
    chuck

18. WillyNilly

WillyNilly
    from NorCal

That was one of my favorite body styles and even had an old Popular Science with a test report of the car. Sadly, one of my brothers dump all the old issues of PS when we cleaned out my dad's house.

Looks better with the bottle caps.

19. y3

y3
    from Terrell Tx

Wow thats a nice cruzr!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. rockfish

rockfish

Great job on resurrecting that car. Love the wheels you chose too.

21. Cool story and car! I didn't realize McMinnville had a drag strip too. Which part of Central Oregon are you in?

22. must be a mopar thing- brother had a 64 or 65 with those cragar super tricks

23. trashn'l

trashn'l

I live in Prineville.

24. trashn'l

trashn'l

Thanks Chuck. If I could find a set of ET's that weren't beat to hell I would do it. They would need to be 15X7 though, 8" wides with the 3 3/4" backspace would rub BAD and I don't plan on changing the rearend. IMO the cop cars wheels don't look right with the slots on these years. This is my cruiser while I finish my OT '71 Road Runner and then the Willys pickup. When the Willy's is done, this will be the tow car for it.