Register now to get rid of these ads!

When you least expect a "barn find"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Retrorod, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Somewhere, somebody is missing their pride and joy. I hope it finds it's way back to the owner.

2. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Isn't that the truth....

3. inliner2318

inliner2318
    from Tyler, TX

Why else would this car get impounded?

Exhibition of Speed!!!

4. Retrorod

Retrorod

The car is still there and the yard manager has heard nothing from the owner...it has a 30 day hold on it with storage charges starting to add up.

5. Dave50

Dave50

probably the bad truth hope they get it back

Someone should find out who the owner is and contact them! If they dont want it or cant afford it maybe you can wok out a deal doesnt seem right to screw someone out of there car but hey thats me

6. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

30 day hold? Sounds like the owner got caught diving with a suspended license. It'll will cost $800-$1000 for him to get it back... Ask me how I know:(

At least when my Chevy got impounded for 30 days they had the decency to keep it in a garage

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Tag shows its currently registered....its only been in that yard two days...the poor sucker probably doesnt even know what tow yard his car is in yet...would you lose that car for a few days storage?

8. greybeard360

greybeard360

Judging by the photos.... probably got towed for parking on the wrong side of the street.

Look at the tires.

9. uncle buck

uncle buck

Lets hope this situation is different a friend of mine who had his 72 big block restored Chev shorty pickup stolen and recovered by a tow company had happen. He went around to the different towing yards in our area and handed out flyers with pics of the truck. One of the tow yards had recovered it after being stripped and dumped in the road near their impound yard - but didn't reconize it till it had sat in their yard long enough to collect a 1500.00 storage bill. No effort was made to contact him by the tow yard or WSP and he only found it when it was listed in the tow yards upcoming impound auction. He ended up paying the 1500 to get it back.

10. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I once found an old boat with a similar story-Water Patrol towed it in from some mysterious place and left it at a marina. Nobody ever came to claim it. The Marina manager never returned my calls. I checked on it occassionally for a couple years. Then, one day it was advertised for parts on Craigslist. By the time I got back in the sticks where some local hillbilly had drug it off to kill it, it had been cut up with a torach and chain saws. I salvaged a few small pieces, but tons-literally tons of vintage steel, mahogany, and bronze went to the scrapper.

Granted, this was no '40 Ford coupe. Not everybody wants a big old boat, even it it was one of only a handful produced in 1958 with twin 430 Lincoln V-8s.

[​IMG]

11. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

The photo above was from the Craigslist ad. Here is what I found when I arrived.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Doesn't really qualify as a "Barn Find",but.....good luck on getting it!

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Call me a cynic, but these photos do nothing to change my perception of the average human being as a brainless half-witted douch...

14. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Got to agree with you fg. Ignorant asses stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

15. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

Could be - Been there, done that.

Had to deal with the thirty day hold and then pay for the thirty days of "storage". The crappy part is the registered owner only has 3 days to pick up the vehicle - after that it legally belongs to the impound lot due the lien sale all tow lots file after holding a car for the first three days.

Or possibly a DUI?

When it happened to me I had to go in and request it, then and only then was it kept indoors.

16. timelord

timelord

Somebody is goin to miss that ride to nice to forget About

17. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

Aww man, as a person with a passion for older aquatic craft that makes my stomach turn!

18. push_rod

push_rod

Retrorod:

Keep on top of that find! Strange things happen all the time.
    Back in 1981 a similar condition Deluxe Coupe turned up on top of a pile of scrap iron in a steel mill located near Pleasanton, CA. The story was that it did not run, and that the owner had it towed. I did not find out about it until it was too late! (My mother's Uncle was a supervisor at that steel mill!!!) The scrap delivery guy from the local Santa Rita Auto Wrecking yard wanted the steel mill to unload his scrap, and let him take that car. Unfortunately the mill insisted it had to be scrapped, since they had already destroyed the registration!?! The only thing the scrap delivery guy was allowed to save were the rear jump seats!!! "Itz made outta really good old steel! It'll make really good rebar!", the steel mill worker said!

19. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i hope the owner gets "hiis"car back. thats who it belongs to. track down a family member to pick it up, before nosy people at the yard start playing with it. hold for 30 days, for what? so they can inrich themselfs. junkyard owner, toe truck drivers. not my kind of people. that car has an owner.

20. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

Someone hear has already run the license plate & found the owner, not that difficult, Iam sure ! :rolleyes:

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, and probably after his night in the pokey with a serous hangover. Police impound usually says DWI or driving with a suspended license.

22. I hope someone finds the owner. The poor guy could be in the hospital or something. The ex-wife could have left the car on the street. Maybe he's overseas and has no idea it was stolen and impounded. Who knows? NOBODY let's a car like that go. Something is definitely wrong and I hope it all gets sorted out and he gets his car back before the vultures descend.

23. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

If it is a 30 day, it is for unlicensed or suspended license.

Toss up - hate to see someone lose a car like that, BUT if you are dumb enough to drive that while your license is suspended, well, he pretty much deserves it!

24. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

You read my mind!

25. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Oddly enough DUI and no license don't carry a mandatory impound period in California, ONLY suspended license carries that requirement. If only I had known, I wouldn't have lost that money. It was nothing compared to the $3500 in fines and bullshit "victim restitution".

Restitution... As if any I'd that "restitution" actually went to an actual victim of a driver on a suspended license. I think the fine was only $800, the rest supposedly went to "victims"

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

How would they feel if it was their car?? Y'all would be pissed if someone knew about it but did nothing to put it right.

The H.A.M.B. can find cars lost 20-50 years ago but not lost owners in the last week, c'mon, find him.

Scotty

27. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Well does anybody know the outcome of this story?

28. Looks like the sticker reads 2014 to me. Doubt that would qualify it as a "barn find" but what do I know.

29. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Btt...after 30+days & ... what's the rest of the story?

30. Liquid Wrench

Liquid Wrench
    from Maine

Just read this whole thread. What Happened????