Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for some info on converting a 1952 Buick to v8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jodezilla, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Jodezilla

Jodezilla

Im considering swapping my straight 8 for a v8 in my 1952 Buick 45R. Im sure alot of you guys have seen this question a few times, I used the search function with no luck so I figured Id ask. I'd like to use the stock frame as I know its strong, built for that car and late model frames can be a bit weaker. My plan was to do some boxing on the frame and add a cross member, the plan is for SB/BB Chevy engine and changing tranny & rear end too. I originally wanted to keep the straight 8, but shit changes and I might go this v8 direction. Any ideas or links to threads would be great, thanks.

2. TERPU

TERPU

If your straight 8 is good leave it alone. That motor has more torque than you can imagine. Putting a v-8 into the Buford is alot of work compared to leaving the I-8 in and driving it.

Tim

3. Jodezilla

Jodezilla

I ran just fine a few years ago when I parked it. I was trying to find a way to get rid of that intake/exhaust manifold combination as it's rusted open in my car, and the 6 volt system is in bad shape. I was pricing all the parts and a rebuild on the motor and I thought "hay, my buddy is selling his 396 with a tranny".....one thought leads to another:D

4. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Buick needs a buick. So If your stuck on a V-8 go with a Nailhead. NO SBC!!! Just my two cents..

5. Jodezilla

Jodezilla

I see your in Oregon as well. Do you know of any engine shops that have experience with straight 8's ? If I can afford the rebuild and the 12 volt, I'd love to keep it.

6. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Are you sure you need a rebuild? The 12v conversion is easy, and the manifolds are on ebay and other classifieds often. My car had sat for four years when I bought it. I went through the fuel system, brakes, and new fluids. Had it running and driving in two weeks.

7. anewz

anewz
    from nj

i agree i have a 1951 buick that needs an intake and i cant get one and it seems like nobody can help its been sitting since i bought it right now i feel like bloving it up

8. timelord

timelord

I have a 51 buick with the straight 8 also the parts are out there. Stay with the straight 8 if you can be different then the rest . If I had to change it would be a nailhead keep a buick a buick

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  9. anewz

anewz
    from nj

the parts arent out there ive been trying to get an intake for months with no luck

10. greybeard360

greybeard360

I have most of a S8 here at my shop. Intake and exhaust... complete engine in pieces. I have the head at a machine shop getting a valve job done. I think the lower end can just be freshened up and be just fine.

PM me and we can discuss it !

It is out of a 51 Buick also. (not Roadmaster)

11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Put a nailhead in it. I shoe horned a 401 into my '50 Chevy sedan delivery so I know you can fit one into the old Buick.