Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stripers who use Beugler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joey Anchors, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

I'm looking at getting a Beugler to stripe a few guitars are there any stripers who use this crazy machine, and is it worth getting?

2. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Sure there have been a number of strippers who used a Beugler.

The one name that comes to mind first and I hope I get the spelling of his name correct is Gary Jennson and I believe he was from Utah.

He was famous for stripping a car in a few minutes both sides perfectly using a Beugler.

I had another friend who used to do the caning work use would see on cars from the 30's where the sides of the car looked like the seat of a chair with the caning going over the under each piece.

He worked for car collectors and museums with real high end classic cars from all over the world. They would fly him in just to cane a car and I used to watch him do it when he was practicing at his shop.

Jimbo

3. It all depends what you want to create with it. I have one, two infact, one a beugler and another "masonite striper" manufactured in U.S.A. in 1910, so the idea has been around a while. I use it mainly on signs, its a great tool for edge work and even better for fast food menu's etc. doing lots of quick straight lines, but I always seem to use the brushes on cars and trucks and motorcycles. Personally, I can't imagine using a beugler on a guitar, I think it would end up in tears - but, that's just my opinion. Good luck anyhow! -H.R.D-

4. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

Thanks Jimbo! I've been researching examples of striping done with the Beugler, but haven't found anything good.

I really like the idea of not having to keep buying brushes, and a tool that will last me for years and years.

5. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

HRDude what makes you say that? Is it due to the pressure you have to apply when using the Beugler?

6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Joey Anchors:

Your comment: I really like the idea of not having to keep buying brushes

Joey I have the exact same pinstripping brushes I have owned for the past 20 years of more!!!!!!!!!!

There are many different ways of storing your bushes and there are also all kings of products guys put on the brushes such as oil, transmission fluid, and all kings of other stuff.

In my opinion what kills all brushes believe it or not is things in the air.

I keep my brushes submerged in mineral spirits in a plastic tupperware container laying flat.I simply remove them and wipe them off and start either lettering or stripping.

Air kills brushes faster then anything elseOne other tip get yourself a pint can of PaintSav and put a few drops in your One Shot paint and it will never skim over again.

Best of luck Jimbo

7. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

Nice for long body lines. On decorative stuff, lines should vary in weight. Start thin, get wider, then come to a point. Only my opinion of course.

8. Freehand on guitars. You could use a Buegler but I imagine it would be a clunky experience.
    Beugler- great for long lines, straight lines, like belt lines etc. A versatile tool.

9. chubbie

chubbie

I have one, owned it for many years. I even like the crazy thing! But when i want something nice i go to someone that is GOOD at striping. I'm sure that the guys with "talent" would get good results with a Beugler too!

10. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

Jimbo and Kensey, great points! I'm going to give the Beugler a try, see how it turns out and go from there.

I live in an apartment and from the demo videos I have found it looks like the Beugler would be a lot easy to keep this place paint free while learning how to use it

11. After cleaning a brush a little mineral oil or even motor oil keeps the brush soft and in shape.

One thing you omitted about leaving brushes exposed to the elements are moths,,they will eat the bristle in a heartbeat. HRP

12. 1pickup

1pickup

I own one. Used it once. Been sitting in the cabinet in my shop for 20+ years. I could be bought...
    I'm also friends with Johnny B. Good, a striper from this part of the world, & no longer feel the need to do it myself

13. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

Does anyone have a good example of a stripe design laid down with the Beugler?

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good for a modern-style "graphics-type" job...and maybe wheels...but a tradtional custom striping job needs the organic look that only a brush can provide.

15. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I've played around with swords and 1 Shot for over 10 years. I'm a perfectionist and until my line consistency improves I don't consider my self a "striper". But I'll add my 2 cents anyway.

I'll only use Buglers when the store's out of Zig Zags :D

16. MadRocker

MadRocker
    from Finland

I recommend normal sword (mack 00, 000 or maybe excaliber). Beugler is more "mass production" tool for the long straight lines etc. I rather do long lines with Glawson longliner brush too instead of beugler. The line is just more "alive" when it's done by brush.

This is just my opinion not the right opinion :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Car Fox

Car Fox

When I get my hair cut I tell the Barber to use the clippers, when I go to the "Artist" painter to have my car striped I tell him to use the brush. When I have sex with my wife she says " Use the Strap-On"

18. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

I bought one to put the three wite stripes on a set of 46 ford car wheels after I repainted them. Worked like a charm. That was the first time id ever handled one and the results were great. The owner loves them.

19. Brought one at the swap meet years ago, next night "pinstriped" the fire engine while on duty. Next shift, was told to remove the "pinstriping" and don't ever do that again. It's an O.K. tool, just can't do much of anything too fancy. (no, I'm not a pinstriper, just ask the Battalion Chief.)

20. I've had one for about 35 years and I don't think I've ever used it. In the 70's, I do remember looking closely at some original paint and pinstriping on the beltline of about a '29 Chevy pickup and I could see that it was done with a striping tool. There were a couple of tiny spots where I could still see the impression of the serrated wheel.

21. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

That is what I am afraid of..

22. HAA! It's probably just having the paint at the right consistency so that it lays down and flows out without the marks. I'm just guessing though and have never really done it myself.

23. pinheadstriper

pinheadstriper
    from phoenix AZ

I would definitely go with a normal pinstriping brush (sword - 00) for what you are trying to do. With proper care brushes should last years.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Check out this web site where you will find more information about them.

Auto Art Magazine

Hope this helps Jimbo

25. Both the Beugler and brushed have worked well for me and when used with the magnetic guide is foolproof but like anything worth doing. practice, practice, and practice and as mentioned, proper paint consistency.

26. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

Use mine once to stripe and flame my engine hoist. It's been sitting outside so long the striping is all gone. Guess I'll have to dig it out again.

27. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

If it ain't low enough to be impractical, it ain't low enough.

28. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

I think I'm going to start with the Beugler see how that goes. I'll keep everyone posted!

29. F&J

F&J

I did not see anyone who said the wheel can be tipped a bit, gradually, to get a line that has a nice taper. I don't know striping, but I have tried the tipping, and it works.

One thing nice is the different thicknesses of wheels. I really puke when I see most modern fad based brush striping in my area. The stuff can be seen from the space station, I swear it's 1/4" wide, and in helter skelter patterns in red and white.

You can do better than that on your first day of practice.

30. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods