Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead generator pulley/belt alignment question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chiro, Aug 24, 2013.

1. chiro

chiro

Hi guys,

I'm new to this whole flathead thing, so bear with me.

I'm running a 59AB flatty in my AV8 build and want to put the generator in the stock location. I have an old Edmunds dual pot intake with the generator mount on the front of it. Problem is that I have two different generators and on both of them the generator pulley is forward of the water pump pulleys when mounted. They just don't line up. what am I missing here? do I have the wrong generator and if so, what do I look for? I also have to run one belt as I trimmed off the front sheave of the crank pulley for clearance at the front cross member. therefore, I also have to run a generator mounted fan.

Help please.

thanks,

Andy

2. chiro

chiro

Over 70 views and no answers yet? Anybody? Bueller...

3. gashog

gashog

A picture of your setup/problem would help...

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

You've likely got 8ba generator... but yes pics would work wonders.

5. chiro

chiro

Neither are 8BA generators. They are early wide belt generators. I can't figure out why the pulley on the generator would be forward of the pulleys on the water pumps and the crank pulley, unless the generators I have are meant to be driven of a second belt.

anybody else?

6. 29pu

29pu

8ba trucks used wide belts.Maybe you have a truck generator.

7. 48 an older have 3 different generator mounts. The intake you have needs to match the generator. My guess is you have a late 46-48 intake and an earlier style generator.

8. Agreed, but pics are definitely a great thing for this as we can't be sure of what you are looking at.