Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville painted! Anyone else using factory paint colors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by creepjohnny, Aug 22, 2013.

1. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

The reason I'm posting about this is because this is the first car I've owned to be painted in a shop. Most my past projects were rattle can, primer in a spray gun in a driveway, and even flat black house paint with a foam roller at 1am in a dark alley (no bs).
    I decided this car deserved a slick 2 stage paint. Took it to a local shop and had it back in a week! Went with the original Fontaine blue and it turned Out great. Now just have to carefully put it back together and finish off the details.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Some factory colors are pretty nice to look at and some are not. Pontiac had more of the nicest colors that GM used then any of the other marks in my opinion.

You car looks nice for sure, I am not a big fan of blue cars as a rule, but yours is nice. One thing to remember is that back when those cars were common a kid would get one and polish it up then move onto whatever else he thought was cool. Paint was normally last on the list because the it was usually still pretty solid. Real common to see slicked out cars with factory paint.

I had a '66 Grand Prix once that was the original metalic gold, it is still one of my favorite factory colors.

Anyway geting back to it smooth as silk my friend. The car is smooth as silk.

3. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Thanks pork. Glad one person likes it ;)

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

That really looks nice! I'm a Pre WWII guy, but always thought '60's Pontiacs looked nice, they had the best looking tail lights of anything GM made. Bob

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

5. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Very nice paint job. Looks slick already!! Congrats. What else are you doing? Stock hubcaps? Interior? Motor? Would love some more pics!

6. Looks cool Johnny,it's come along way since I saw it in the driveway.

7. mrchevrolet2

mrchevrolet2
    from usa

That's a lot of car, would have taken a bunch of rattle cans.

8. stimpy

stimpy

the big ponchos had the nice colors in the 60's and the nice body styles too . and its not another GTO . the job looks good now to trim it out and even with the hubcaps they had back then they looked nice , but it would look real good with 8 luggers on it . ( one of my freinds did it to his 2 door bonny and it made it look way better . )

as for factory colors , I am deflat blacking , my cheiftain and we decided on going to the berkshire metallic and possibly cream upper or cavalier gray ( from what I can find it was originally tarragon green and gray )

9. jlibert

jlibert
    from fresno

Hey! I recognize that driveway!

Beautiful car man!! That color is perfect.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's one of those "just right" colors that gets overlooked. Really works on a big GM, especially with some tasteful mild kustom touches and a dash of radical pinstriping. Way too often (at least in my neck o the woods) you see the richer shades of metallic blue laid on these cars. Vette Marina or LeMans blue just looks wrong. I've seen them done in the shades like 80s IROC or Mopar Shelby blue. Great color if there's not too much car to put them on. You made a good choice. Similar to what I picked for my 61 Belair spt cpe, a standard 61 Chev color called Jewel Blue Poly.

11. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Thanks a lot guys! Glad it's not too outta the hamb zone. I'm not a huge fan of 60's cars but something about these bonnevilles I always loved. I'm a big guy so
    The size works but even at 18'5" long, this pig really moves!!
    Shout out to my home visitors!!
    I'm going mild on this guy. It's a factory 389 with tri power. The manifold was replaced some time ago so I picked up a new set up to bolt on. It has been lowered all around. And has a 67 bonneville disc brake front end. Had rims painted to match and running 1960 Lincoln starburst caps. I like chrome reverse but not on this car.
    I'm changing a few minor things that probably only Pontiac guys would know. Running 66 rocker trim rather than the stock 65. And for some reason, pontiacs had a piece of trim under the Wing windows and that's it. It stopped at about 8" long, whereas the Buick had the exact same trim but it ran the length of the sash channel. So I just finished cutting down and adding the Buick trim. The rocker trim is gonna take a bit more effort.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Beautiful color! I always thought T buckets or Deuces looked good with a color like this, with lots of chrome and white accents.

13. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

I'll get some interior pics up. It's pretty much factory. The seats are original two tone blue. I replaced the carpet and headliner (my first headliner I ever changed, hopefully my last!!)
    And picked up new door panels. That's my next project after the rocker trim. Swapped out the dash cause it was old and cracked.
    Running Ryan's iPod stereo idea but with more amp/speakers & tweeters.
    Just put the front back together. Did the front bumper myself, whatta nightmare, the thing is as big and weighs as much as I do!!
    One thing I like about this car is the original owner didn't want the optional reverse lights. They were located in the bumper, so the rear bumper is smooth and has nothing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. One of those that has "good bone structure" and stands on it's own, even stock. Your mild changes will make it a real knockout. I also like seeing the original color on mild customs if it's cool like that and properly done. Kinda lends itself to ownership of the marque. Nice!!!!!
    Chuck