Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My beater '57 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choppachris, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Alan lives in Easley,South Carolina. HRP

2. Willy_P

Willy_P

On the 4 vs 2 hole on the spindle plate my understanding from the trifive site is that 55 had the 4hole and was supposed to aid factory assembly. 56 and 57 changed to 2 hole and all are interchangable. Mixing them would be OK, depending on your OCD level. I am working on mine today and have one 2 and one 4 hole, but the Wilwood caliper should distract most people.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Here's a setup on my race car.

Attached Files:

4. choppachris

choppachris

Those look beefy! I've got all my shift linkage hooked up as of this past weekend. The linkage from my Hurst shifter to the Saginaw 4 speed was three straight rods, the shifter was actuall spaced about 4" off the left side of the transmission to make it reach without bends. I made some bends to get it back against the transmission, but the rods are short to begin with and the shift tabs on trans were on upside down to reach. Sooo, I have backwards gears. I can live with it for now in order to save the $120 or so i'd have to spend on correct linkage and spend that on something else I need to get it roadworthy.
    Tonight i'm looking at my steering, had alot of play in the steering wheel and I believe I adjusted the box too much, was binding up when I turn left now..Gears might be too far gone to adjust the play out. All my balljoints and tie rod ends are very good, no slop.
    It's looking better with 1 1/2 coils cut off the front. I'll take pics soon as I roll it outside again, can't get far enough back to get a good pic. Rear springs were probably sagging a little, so with the front springs cut it sits almost level, front raked down just the slightest and almost zero fender gap over the 205/75r14.

5. choppachris

choppachris

Oh and I learned a trick, I loosened the upper ball-joints using my old heat gun. 2-3 minutes of hot air on the upper spindle arm and it pops loose from the joint when under pressure. I loosened the ball-joint nut and left a floor jack just about touching the lower control arm. No pickle-fork destroying the ball-joint boots, and no BFH beating the heck out,of it. :)

6. choppachris

choppachris

Pic in the garage

Attached Files:

7. choppachris

choppachris

Turns out my problem with the steering not turning left is the tie rod near the pittman arm is hitting my header.. After some research I have found this has happened to others with old headers.. Lowering the car likely amplified the problem for me. I'm either going to have to modify my header, or replace them at this point.

8. choppachris

choppachris

Just finished painting wheel details, polished wheels, and installed new lug nuts and oval washers.

Attached Files:

9. choppachris

choppachris

Gave it a bath, might sneak it about a block and a half down the street to the hotrod meet tonight.

Attached Files:

10. n847

n847

Looks good man!

11. choppachris

choppachris

I need new tires asap, they will be blackwalls, no raised white letters. One piece at a time, like Johnny Cash. I made it to the car meet tonight, first time really driving the car any distance. It did great on the way there, and about half way home. It shut off at a red light, no more spark. Had to pull it home, luckily only about 2 blocks away. Checked and theres no fire, everything is still hooked up, no apparent broken wires to coil or dist.. Bad coil maybe. It was still cool to finally get it out.

Attached Files:

12. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

You figure out the spark issue yet? What was it?

13. choppachris

choppachris

Yeah, the module in the Mallory Unilight distributor went out. I have a new "Ready to Run" HEI distributor on the way. It has a small cap and uses an external coil, will look like original equipment. :)

14. deprice

deprice

picture of my 57 210

15. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379019030.951941.jpg

Here is my 57 Two Ten

16. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

Nice beater you got there

17. sololobo

sololobo

good times ahead, loves me them 57's. you can get all your missing trim from a bunch of tri five repop sellers. enjoy bro, she's a classic ~sololobo~

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think I like the primered version better than the painted ones that have been posted. :)