Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aussie or Kiwi Hambers-cycle fenders help ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Look like they belong there.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's your opinion, and that's ok even if it is wrong :D
    Some cycle fenders look good and since Henry never actually built the RPU I am building the "factory" fenders are not an option.

I'll run fenderless, just need them for inspections.

3. fortynut

fortynut

I'm going to chime in here. Personally, I think motorcycle style fenders, when done right, are way cool. I've ridden bikes, with and without, and know there's good reason to run 'em. Especially, if you drive in the rain. However, on rods there's an aesthetic that goes with them: fit and finish, as well as style, and how they're attached. On this issue, I'm sure we all have our preferences, if we like them at all; and, those who don't can do without --- 'cause they lack the 'cycle fender gene. The fenders that mimic those on Fifties Brit bikes, that had a nice ridge along the center, are my faves. I intend to run those on my roadster when she's roadworthy. And how they look, will be seen only to those behind me.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Not sure if I should chime in here, I'm not from down under, but I was looking at these. You'd have to hammer out the fork tube clearance dimples. I like them because they are re-pops of fenders that were used a lot on hot rods in the fifties.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/710-088

Re-pop fifties Triumph Trophy fenders are another good "period" choice, but the fork tube clearance dimples are larger.

successfully using cycle fenders is more effort that going fenderless, but the "look" is terrific, and if you are going for a mid-late fifties time frame, can really take the build to the next level. But it does take more work, you have to match the radius of the fender closely to the tire, which will usually call for either some shrinking or stretching, they have to fit really closely to the tire, and the support brackets have to be well thought out. If you treat them as an afterthought, thats what they will look like.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  5. hudson48

hudson48

I like them on some cars and they do serve a purpose especially in the wet weather.However they look best when styled to hug the tyre and not look like just an after thought.

Attached Files:

6. 63dan63

63dan63

motorcycle cycle fenders ordered off Jesse James website.

7. RM-Special

RM-Special

Craig from Front St Cycle , was making repop 36 wheel covers for MC fender use,send him an email and see if he can help.
    Cheers RM

8. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Just make your brackets really strong we all start off minimal brackets and redo them after they wrap around the wheel not much fun that
    Colin

9. I made these for my Modified here in the UK - it is possible to run fenderless in dry weather but I want to take the car to France and there's no chance there;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Couldn't resist shooting some primer on to see what it'll look like in paint.

[​IMG]
    Going to paint the drums silver so I can pretend they're Alfins.

[​IMG]
    Front view - note the scoops.

[​IMG]
    Side view - sort of... Not much room in the workshop

[​IMG]
    Sits nice and close to the Deluxe Champions.

[​IMG]
    Sits nice and straight - more by luck than design ;-)

and the rears;

[​IMG]

Here's an alternative mounting system on my O/T ride;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats what Im talkin' about!! When you first posted that how-to thread, I printed it AND subscribed to it. Wanted to make sure I could find it later.

11. JESSEJAMES

JESSEJAMES

Bullshit... You didn't order those off my site.

12. JESSEJAMES

JESSEJAMES

Hey I can make you any size and any profile. I have a tool for almost every car and motorcycle tire made.
    If you check out Doyle Gammel's Red high boy, It has fenders I made on it. Also making them out of 16g now.

[email protected]

13. haha...Thought you were gone! Good to see you're still around.

14. x2
    bull shit is the same deal........cow or bull = crapola :p

15. Here is a pic of some cycle fenders we just finished making from aluminium for a customers car.
    [​IMG]

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, I am pleased that you are still around. We need and appreciate your brains.

17. Great idea.

18. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

My old improved A coupe, 44gal drum I chopped up to make front cycle fenders with bobbed 32 plastic rears ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377842139.316836.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377842183.393142.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Where can I see the pictures of that hi-boy ? Can you do Ribbed fenders ? I like the ribbed style.

I have BFG Radial T/A (yes I know radials, all you guys hold your tongues, it's what I want for my car:)) tires in 155-80/15 on the front and 255-70/15 on the rear.

Can you handle those sizes ?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can email him. He does read his emails.

21. HUH? :confused: HRP

22. XERB

XERB

Good luck with the hunt, Koop De Glass for sure, good quality products at a hot rodders price! Merry Christmas to all...