Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB Drags there and back... 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zman, Aug 21, 2013.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

So another year, another FUCKING awesome weekend in Joplin MO for the HAMB Drags. As usual I took Wednesday off to leave and drive half way then drive the rest Thursday. As usual I didn't. I ended up changing the oil and doing some other last minute stuff.

[​IMG]

Like picking up this stuff to make General Gow giddy like a schoolgirl.

[​IMG]

But bright and early, 7:23 am if you must know, I pulled out of Raleigh with a full tank and put my foot into it.

[​IMG]

Drive drive drive, and before you know it I can see Nashville.

[​IMG]

But what is that sound when I stop for gas, uh oh! Hmmm… I get back on the road trying to decide what to do. but ya know, Nashville is about half way and before I know it I'm past Nashville. Fuck it, let's boogie. And there ya have Kentucky.

[​IMG]

And then Missouri.

[​IMG]

Funny how time flies when you're on the way to the event. But I pulled into Ryno's about 11pm or so thanks to the nice time zone change in my favor. And standup dude that he is, he left the light on and the door open for me. And since he was still at the parking lot of the hotel with Big Ken and Blacktopbuddha I got the bed. SCORE! Rhyno is a god amongst men and super swell for putting up with us every year.

Next morning we were all up bright and early and headed to the hotel parking lot to drop off his truck and my car, then to the Springfield Swap. Called for the parts for my noisy rear end on the way. Then went and shopped. Ran into a ton of super cool people at the swap including BenD and Earl Scheib, who are always a pleasure. As well as a plethora of others including General Gow and Moose in from the East as well. Denise was doing her decor shopping. Malcom was getting his swap on. And Reggie, Norm and Steve.

[​IMG]

Lunch plans were made and we headed to Pappy's Place for BBQ. After getting our Q on we headed back to the hotel. I had to get ready for Brats in the parking lot.

[​IMG]

GV Gordon made the trip with the wife this year, first time in a few. No Surf was on his way from Kansas with Barn Find T and crew. So there would be help cooking for the masses.

[​IMG]

But first the trip to get the brats. We ended up getting 100 of the bad boys. And wow it was not enough. No Surf was the supreme grill master. And we'll have some in reserve next year.

[​IMG]

But all in all it was a good evening with running into old friends and some new ones. I probably even went to my room a little before the festivities even started to wind down. But man I was a little tired and it was gonna be a long day starting early.

Got up early and headed to Ryno's, with 2 stops, had to pick up the u-joints for my Jag rear end, and the DONUTS. Yes, very important stuff going on before anyone got there. Got to Ryno's and put my car straight on the lift and prepared for surgery. Getting the half shaft out was a bit of a bear. But got it out, including the hub so we could press the splined shaft out, since it was not plain nice.

I had so much help, and after 2 more trips to O'Reilly's had the correct u-joint. Nigel, Kirk, Uncle John, to just name a few. And Micah helped out too. Though I told him he needed to have a better handle on where the tools were so he can build his car. Had just about given up, I think it was down to Nigel, Ryno and me and noon was approaching. We gave it one more try and got it all back together and were on our way.

Of course they and already sold out the 2013 shirts that were not black.

[​IMG]

The drags were a friggin' blast. Got to see Marcy and her crew, Bought some T's from her and KCsledz as well. Sat with BobK and borrowed BenD's sunscreen. The YayHoos and crew. Love some DW and laura. Got Micah to stand in line at the concession stand. Of course I paid him. Then went and got a fried fish sandwich from Reggie complete with hot sauce.

The silent auction was always an even and I am honored to get to help with it. Kudos to Blacktopbuddha for all the work, we get to do the easy part.

Then back to the hotel, dinner at Outback with some of the other VB's and parking lot time. Before I knew it I was heading to bed to get ready for the drive home.

My chariot awaits.

[​IMG]

A quick trip around the parking lot.

[​IMG]

And at 7:37 am I head east again.

East bound and down, loaded up and trucking'

[​IMG]

After crossing the Ozarks and heading across the flood plain I got to cross the mighty Mississippi again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hit crappy work zones in Kentucky, miles at a time barreled off to one lane with no work going on.

[​IMG]

Then it was coming into Nashvile from the other side.

[​IMG]

Got into North Carolina just in time for it to get dark and start raining.

[​IMG]

Pulled into my driveway at 1:43 am. Lol, a long strange trip it was.

I know I missed thanking some folks and when I get a minute to think again I'll probably remember. I still have not decompressed all the way.

Of course big thanks to Ryan and his crew for making it all happen. Kudos and stuff for putting up with us.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Oh yeah, Malcom's roadster kicks ass and Kerry finally got the digger figure out. Next year is gonna be awesome.

3. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

It was a kick ass weekend! I was gonna introduce myself at Ryno's, but you were thrashing on your u joint at the time. I didn't want to interrupt you.

4. Went last year...missed this year. Next year fo' sure! Thanks for the write up.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I wish you would've, it was a bit stressful, but it would have been nice to put another name and face together.

6. Thanks for calling me with the KY traffic report, brotha. I stopped for a bite and killed some time, and when I hit it, it wasn't too terrible--or maybe I was just prepared--I dunno. Anyway, always good seeing you, zman ;)

7. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Hey Scott. Great seeing you and the other V.B.s. Thanks for taking the lead with the brat feed. Glad we got to help out. Let's do it again next year!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

I was checking out your Buick in the Holiday Inn parking lot. Beautiful car!

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

It was great to see you again, Scott! Thanks for the kind words on my car and I'm gald you made it back home safe!

Malcolm

10. I saw you heading off to the parts store with Big Ken... I wanted to say "hey" but you looked like a man on a mission. I was quite surprised to see a jag when I checked out your car on the lift. Love those big Buicks.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Glad to help, and hopefully it won't be a whole year this time.

Absolutely, you guys were awesome. I've been just winging it the last 4-5 years. Now I feel like we can do it right.

Thanks, a little worse for wear these days, at least to me. She needs some love.

Great seeing you as well, and the roadster is tits. Oh I said that already. :rolleyes:

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Lol that was trip #2, so yeah, and there was one more after that. Next year say "hey" for sure.

13. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Wow! That was a heck of long drive each way! Glad it was relatively uneventful for you.

14. Been too long. I am planning on coming back next year. Things just started looking great this week. Give me a call when you can Z.

15. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

LOL...the stupid highway departments in EVERY state in the union must send each other updates on how to infuriate the motoring public, especially on the Interstates by blocking one lane for miles and then leaving it there over the weekend while they take off...!!!

That's one reason I hate driving interstates and prefer a two-lane even tho it takes 45 seconds more to reach your destination, besides the scenery is better than the rear end of any 18 wheeler...!!!

R-

16. ryno

ryno

i gave everyone an ear full today when i went into oreillys.
    of coarse the older guys where oh , you needed a #... , but as we know no-one with half a brain works on teh weekends at auto parts stores now a days. glad it got fixed and made it back home.

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

GREAT seeing ya again bud. I so wished you would have said you wanted a non-black event t-shirt while I was at Ryno's as I would have picked one up for ya. Looking forward to getting a brat next year as I walked up too late. My fault.

18. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Glad to hear you made it home OK sure was a blast getting that shaft back into place, team work pays off in the end. My pleasure to be able to help out buddy. Nigel

19. mrdodge

mrdodge

Ahh ...big Nige...Home again already:D

20. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you go 40 to Nashville then up to St Louis? Next year, we might have to hook up for the drive..

See ya, -Abone.

PS. Glad you got the U-joint fixed..

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I take the interstate a little more than 1/2 the way, there is no real secondary route across the mountains for me.

lol, thanks.

I'll make sure we don't run out before you get yours next year.

Thank you for sticking with it. You were the man.

I don't go all the way to St.Louis, I make a left at Paducah and go across the bottom of MO. I think it's 60 that does that, nice and pretty through the Ozarks.

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Where's the pics of the brats? :p

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I was a slacker and didn't take many pics at all. Totally missed the chance to show people putting my hot meat in their mouths. My bad.

24. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

What has been pictured in the mind cannot be unpictured...wish I coulda made it this year.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Hi Scott. Glad you made it back OK. I noticed an oily puddle under your rear main/bell housing area in the parking lot but couldn't find you.
    Chuck

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yeah I had used a fiber crush washer instead of my usual copper, changed that at Ryno's as well.

27. Good to see you, if only for a moment.

28. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Good lord, I miss joplin ......3 yrs now since we've been! Hate to even see pics. Best time on the planet! Ps Scott, russco is a kropduster, so be careful, he's a grabber! :)

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Glad to see you make the digger go... awesome run...

bad touch...