Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 9 inch Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hoodwinx454, Aug 23, 2013.

1. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

Hey everyone,
    I have a ford 9 inch Im going to run in one of my rides, its a big bearing one. My concern is the carrier, I have a WAR carrier and I've heard these a suppose to be really strong but I have also heard they are crap. Would i be better off tring to find a Nodoular case or going aftermarket? Im hoping to have between 500 to 700Hp if money allows me to. Let me know what you guys think.

2. The WAR cases are early 9", and aren't performance pieces. For big power, go nodular or aftermarket.

3. 2racer

2racer

4. dan31

dan31

If its a street car without slicks, maybe run what you got .Nodoular is stronger (=$).There are a lot of 500 hp street cars running what you got

5. I say use what you have and prove them Wrong,,or Right. Use the WAR case till it Brakes,, or not.
    The Wizzard

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

2racer's suggestion is the BEST. Tells all you need to know about WAR 9 inch.

7. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Excellent link, 2racer...Thanks

8. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

I think thats what I'm going to do right or wrong I'm going to find out:D

9. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

10. wood337

wood337

There was a post just like this short while back...under "technical" titled "Can a 9 in take a 454?" or something like that..............about 60 replies I think.

Traction is by far the determining factor. 700 hp and slicks will break up every single component of a 9 inch....one weekend at a time...and ruin your whole summer (and take your wallet with it).....that has been my experience . . . . . .but then again I hate money,so I own hotrods

11. 41GASSER

41GASSER

A bone stock Ford 9" diff with 500-700 hp will fail eventually if you hook up. You will break axles and one by one find the weak link breaking other stuff. If you got the money put a strange or currie quality case in and put a quality set of axles in it. Or not and put the hammer down and see what breaks. Post the picks afterward.

12. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Typical failure for a stock center is the third bearing support will crack. If ignored, it will break off and the pinion will ride up the ring gear, and out the front of the carrier.

If you want to hook high power, get a nodular or aftermarket housing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Nothing better than pictures real car part carnage.

14. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

Thanks for the input. I'm not going to run it complete stock. i'm going to up grade the axles. I would like to spend the money on a starnge or currie but the money isn't there so thats out. I'm going to run what I have and see what happens if it holds great if not I'll know for sure what they will handle., This is hot rodding at its best:D