Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine disguise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by judgekiller, Aug 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. judgekiller

judgekiller
    from houston

The Oct 2013 issue of Sreet Rodder had an article on how to make a new engine look like a 265. Last year one one of the magazines had an article on how to make a350 look like a 327. Does anyone rembere the Magizine and month. Thanks

2. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

You have an exceptional introduction and first post. Exceptionally poor. You may want to go back to your intro, your "about me", and tell us some of who you are, what you are building/driving. Maybe sit back and spend a bit of time reading what and how posts are composed. You gotta put some effort into it or.....BOOM!!

3. 61 chevy

61 chevy

I have a 283, I wish it was a 327

4. aojo

aojo

welcome to the HAMB judgekiller... you actually received one of the kinder and gentler greetings...

5. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

How many "first post" folks do ya see that are already an ALLIANCE MEMBER? I say welcome aboard and tell us something about yourself. DD

6. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

He did one thing right, Joined the alliance.

7. kracker36

kracker36

I heard that they were making Chevy bodies for Chevy lovers to put their engines in.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Look at his join date, 2006. He isn't exactly a newby. :D

Pretty easy to make a sbc look like an early one. The blocks are pretty much the same looking and unless someone has X ray vision they can't see the bore and stroke. Some vette valve covers or some cool finned aftermarket ones, a multiple carb setup, and no HEI big cap distributor and you are well on your way.

Don

9. Model T1

Model T1

I may have been one of the first to come to greet him. But new member posts like this are beginning to piss me off. No effort at all. So I didn't write anything.
    Of course he's only been a member since 2006. Might need a few more years to GET IT.! Beling an allience member may be a nice thing but he still should introduce hmself. Gosh I feel better.;)

10. drdoom

drdoom
    from new jersey

I remember one were they made a 350 chevy look like a hemi,sheet metal covers bolted to the heads to hold the valve covers ,plug wires run through the holes,also seen sbc made to look like olds rocket, hay whatever floats your boat.

11. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Cool huh?!

12. Hmmm...well, boys...an alliance member with his first post. I think we should send a bottle of scotch and a couple of hookers? :eek:

Yep, never seen that before. Well then, at least you ain't one of them FNG fellers, are ya. Welcome aboard. :D

Wait a minute, he's been around here since 2006. You rekkin he's been just a skulkin' and spyin' around our camp like an old wolf all that time?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  13. Styleliner

Styleliner

Hi judgekiller... Have not seen those mags. Interesting idea though.

14. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Read your own signature, then, GET a life.

15. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I almost never look at introductions, the poor guy has been looking for seven years finally posted and gets shit for it.
    Good going guys.

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Don't tell me they make straight to staggered valve cover adapters!

17. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

The side motor mounts will be a dead giveaway to people how know.

PS. Maybe he's been busy building cars instead of screwing around on the Internet like the rest of us. :)

18. Welcome aboard.

19. Model T1

Model T1

We don't all have to become allience members. I was just sayin the proper way to do this is with an introduction, no matter how long you've been a member or what your rank is! This is my life.
    But in his defense he's sure getting a lot of posts.

20. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I don't understand the prestige afforded to the join date of 2006, alliance member or not.

If he's really spending any serious time here lurking for years he knows the ropes.

And, yes, I'm aware I snuck in through the bathroom window without an intro. But I cleverly avoided the "start a controversial 'disguise your engine' as a first post" lure.

21. badshifter

badshifter

I'll give a real answer, as I own a 265. I'd swap the 350 heads for 265/283 heads. If not, fill the holes in the 350 head ends and grind smooth. You'll have to ditch the peanut plugs for full size plugs, with washers. Fabricate a stagger bolt valve cover adapter, or re-drill and j.b. weld the 350 heads for stagger bolt valve covers. Swap the block for a 265 block. Or, grind off the engine mount bosses, install a canister oil filter, and use an early balancer and slotted screws on the timing cover. Disable/fill the starter mount bolt holes and run a bell housing mounted starter. Remove the 350 intake and install a 265 intake, with draft tube and front oil fill. Discard the 350 distributor and install a 265/283 cast iron distributor. Discard the alternator and install a generator and correct bracket. Source a 4GC carb and install. Remove your harmonic balancer bolt. Oh yes, short cast iron water pump, single groove lower and water pump pulley. Install early cast iron manifolds. the small ones. Paint orange, red or chartreuse. If possible, install Corvette stagger bolt valve covers, as its a early corvette engine, remember? The internals are up to you. But I'd remove the oil rings so it smokes. Helps give you cred for having an old motor.

22. Model T1

Model T1

Good one badshifter. But I can trade him a perfectly good 265 good running engine and we'd both be happy. The 265 will look just like an old Chevy V-8 and run like one too!
    But have you guys noticed, there has not been any feedback or real intro? I don't think I can wait another 7 years for the second post.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  23. kracker36

kracker36

Just put camel dick heads on it and rock out.

24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You can tell the HAMBERS here are an old crowd...........why else would there be so many of us on this on a Friday night? :D

25. I remember when they raged on me for wanting to use the plain 57 or so up Olds covers on a Chevy engine.

Not to make it look like an Olds, they're blank, just to have something that didn't look as shitty as the stock center bolt covers without spending a fortune on them.

26. sunbeam

sunbeam

Bolt a 55 oil filter on the intake.

27. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Dang, i joined in 2006, too, and just realized I never made an intro either. Sorry about that.

28. stimpy

stimpy

Arkie ,Mashed to the newbie thread Now and introduce yourself !

29. 2racer

2racer

don't mind the kids, some of them missed their meds

30. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I have to admit that I missed doing an introduction until I had been a member for a while.....it just never dawned on me to do it. Then I finally did one, but had been a member for a few years by then. Shit happens sometimes. :eek:

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.