Register now to get rid of these ads!

Over rated??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cavman, Aug 22, 2013.

1. They're kinda like Cobra roadsters-when more replicas are built then there were originals something starts to fade.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn you Weasel, I just spent the last ten minutes explaining to a coworker why I was sitting here laughing my ass off and then having to listen to him bitch about guys who butcher cars (including me) for most of that ten minutes. He doesn't own a restored car and never will but he thinks it's a crime against nature to modify the body on one. And Yes my 48 really pisses him off.

On the 32 dash, I want one in my Model A just because I like the looks of it a lot better than the stock dash. After all it's going to be a hot rod and should look like a hot rod inside and out.

3. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Wow speaking of overrated.

4. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even as a '32 owner I think this is hilarious.

5. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

I have had both, for free no less. Both were great, and I wouldn't say no to either again. Especially for free!

6. chopped

chopped

I need to join up.

7. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

It all depends on what you want. I wanted another 63 1/2 Ford Galaxie, and a '64 wouldn't do, and a boxtop '63 wouldn't do...it had to be the fastback model. Slight variations can make or break a deal.

8. wex65

wex65
    from WV

In short a percentage of the threads on this site are objective and remainder are subjective, obviously.

The objective ones "does X fit Y" "where can I buy an X for my 1940 Y" are very useful and remain factual. The same cannot be said for the subjective ones, like this one. To me it is like asking which beer is 'right' or which food is 'best'. There is no right answer.

Saying that everyone has or wants a 1932 I am sure was tongue in cheek but I can honestly say I FAR prefer a Model A to a 32. And before someone says it is because I don't have one, this is not the issue and there are lots of them out there if I wanted to buy one. This doesn't make 32s crap or in some way inferior, just not what I want or prefer the look of.

Ditto for roadsters... I am lucky to have a '30 coupe and a '31 roadster but am selling the roadster as I FAR prefer the coupe. Others will totally disagree saying roadsters are 'better'.

There is no 'better', only 'better for me'...

9. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

I guess I'm the odd duck here, cause I like an A model so much more than a 32.. and I've always thought the grill in an A looked better than a 32 as well... guess I'm just strange..

10. Skidder

Skidder

I don't own a 32 and really never cared too. Acutally I don't care to own any Fords...:eek: But if I did drift to the other side, I think a 33 Ford 3w looks way cooler than a 32....:D

11. Abomb
    I have owned 3 tri fives (all five sevens) a hard top, a wagon and a rag top. Never kept a single one of them.

I have only owned one duece, a 5 window. Got it in a trade and never laid a wrench to it.

Someone is going to take offense at this and it is not my intention just a way to explain myself; in my mind tri fives and dueces are yuppy cars (actually sosch cars but to use a term that the general reading public can understand). I believe it has to do with the fact that I have always lived on the fringe, never really arrived so to speak.

Now as for my actual feelings about them it is one of conflict. I do believe that they are over rated, but I love them, dueces and tri fives. I love looking that them, sitting in them, riding in them. As cars go they have what it takes, they are just not my style I guess.

12. jkeesey

jkeesey

A 32 is the car I strive to own. My grandfather had a 32 coupe race car in the late 40s early 50s. I worked on over 3 dozen Model As before working on my first Deuce and it was liberating. So much more room than the A roadsters Im used to and the v8 deuce I service seems like such a loveable eager to drive car, sadly it sits in a museum for 99.999% of its time. I know I will not be able to afford a "real" deuce until Im in my 70s and that's okay with me. As long as I eventually get one.

13. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

This thread is creepy. Funny, but creepy.

14. I want to see that. :D

15. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

A friend told me once...

1932 Ford --> Most Wanted
    1940 Ford --> Mos Beautiful

I got the beautiful, still want the 32 but is way out of my range..
    I think any car, if done tastefully, will get you that grin in your face...

16. cavman

cavman

Perhaps because I started this thread about the '32 being "over-rated", some may have gotten the idea I don't like '32 fords. Not true at all, but I don't think they are the only car that can be considered a hot rod, traditional or otherwise. Some would probably say guys like me don't "deserve" a '32 ford. Of all things in my life that I believe anyone deserves, any car is far from the top of the list.

The post wasn't to piss anyone off, it was just passing along an old guys thoughts..

17. Caveman as far as many of us are conmcerned the duece is far over rated. At least as far as street rodding is concerned.

I have got to say as far as early lakes/land speed racing is concerned the dueces had it in spades. After the war they were cheap bodies, light and more slippery that the model As. And I have to say my all time favorite roadster of all time is the Doane Spenser (sp?) roadster. For a street/lake car in my mind this roadster just screams traditional hot rod. I don't know that I have the patience to copy it but if I did and had the resources to build a deuce that would be the car for me to build.

Where the problem lies for many of us is that the duece became a drug on the market once the street roddrers got thier hands on them. It is like one of the fellas said when he looks at goodguys coverage he moves on when it gets to the line of deuce grill shells. Some of us just shy away from hype and the duece became hyped to the max.

There have been and are today some beautiful examples of deuce hot rods here on the HAMB, and then there are some cookie cutter glitzed out abortions as well. I love the nice ones and the others just don't get much attention from me.

18. mickeyc

mickeyc

A 32 three window came my way and I acquired it. I was actually looking at a 40 sedan the fellow had and I could only get one or the other. I took the 32 just because of what it is. I really like the 33 or 34 five windows much better. I have seen the 554 coupe several times, and it is my favorite car by far. Recently I was showing a fellow my stone stock 31 model A coupe. When he asked me what I valued it at, I told him about $10,000. He asked what if it was one year newer in the same condition?
    I replied about $40,000 or more. He could not fathom the difference being
    so much and I could not tell him why myself.

19. flatout51

flatout51

Model A over a 32 any day of the week.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. I have always loved Deuces,bought my first one a 12 years old,,I've owned several Model A's,7 Forty Fords and for the last 20 years I went back to the car that did it for me. HRP

21. uncle buck

uncle buck

The proportions of the 32 look much better than a 31,especially in the quarter panel area in my opinion.

22. bluesman

bluesman
    from spring tx

Looks like the model 40s are not to far behind especially 33s

23. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Yep, especially those ones with the goofy model T cowl....

24. I've never heard the saying "the Model A is the Quintessential Hot Rod".

I don't have anything against Model A's,,basically I love all kinds of cars but for me the Deuce rates supreme! :D HRP

25. cavman

cavman

"but for me".......HRP has it right.

I don't mind A's, but 32's have more of what appeals to me.

I don't mind '60 Impalas, but I like '61 Impalas much better.

Same goes for '53 Chev, rather have a '54. I could go on and on, but we all have different likes. Enjoy what you have, even some of them over-rated '32's come up for sale once in awhile. Mine did. ;)

26. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

I keep seeing the comments overpriced, expensive etc.This link from the classifieds looks reasonable, sure it needs work but a good price, the roadster sold on egay for $25khttp://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=826647 ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377311775.408881.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. pitman

pitman

Buck, you'd fit better in a deuce!

I always went for the last carriage, a '31.

28. thequietwon

thequietwon

That roadster listed above for Ebay was actually a Brookville. Still a good deal though.
    Sam

29. For everyone bragging about teenage pussy...without pictures, it never happened! :p

30. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

A guy in my club was looking for an A coupe that was nice. He couldn't find what he wanted for under 20k. He bought a brookville deuce and now has a sweet hot rod for in the neighborhood of 18k. Me? I like Ts and middle aged pussy.