Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features My lost and forgotten 51 AD chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PurdueSD, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That truck is really starting to look like something. I may have to copy that gas tank idea. I've got a big blazer tank but it is BIG. Keep us posted on the progress.

2. Wow, Thanks guys! Gotta keep kicking this can down the road!

3. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

4. So, been fiddling around with my motor placement. My cool wife got me and engine and trans mounts from chassis engineering for Christmas. When i was filling out my christmas list, chassis engineering really sold me on how their trans mount bolted in place of the original trans mount using existing holes. Perfect... should locate my motor and wah-lah. SOLD.

Unfortunately, i'm not sure what chassis engineering designed their location around, but it doesn't work well with my rack linkage, their side biscuit mounts and really limits exhaust choice. With the motor mocked up as per their instructions i ended up with about the motor angled 6 degrees the wrong way with lower pulley in contact with the front cross-member. I have come across several other people who have had similar issues. Luckily the biscuit mounts and trans mount are a pretty flexible design to be moved around. So i've been playing with that.

This is my first hot rod (so to speak), so i have been doing alot of reading and researching. I came to the conclusion i would be better off getting some parts ordered and mocked up before proceeding with finalizing engine placement.

Here's a shot of where i think it will end up. Tailshaft is at 3.5 degrees:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  5. I ordered my steering column, wheel and all the linkage to hook it up yesterday. (man that crap is expensive, kind of a splurge but oh well). Ended up going with an ididit chrome column and moon wheel.

Ive managed to avoid splurges so far, other than key areas. Suspension and steering. This tucks going to haul me and my young boy many miles hopefully, so money well spent.

Decided today to make my self feel a little better about the splurge by going out to the shop and pillaging the donor burb. Not sure if i will be able to use all this stuff but hopefully at least some. Its all free. Brake booster/master, pedal mount, gas pedal/ linkage, emergency brake bracket. If i can use it all that'll save me close to 500 bucks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  6. willymakeit

willymakeit

Kick the can a little evry week and you will make it. Keep posting.

7. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Cool build! I like it

8. b-bob

b-bob

You even have a stock rear bumper, they can be pretty rare.

9. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Trucks comming along great, keep it up!

10. Had to take a little break from the truck to take care of some home projects. Now that they are out of the way i spent my first bit of time back on the truck today.

Rotors are installed.
    Cut the rack notches in the frame.
    Bolted up the rack.
    Motor is mocked in place pending final placement (steering shaft clearance)

First time on all fours!!

ImageUploadedByTJJ1365381099.092854.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1365381116.454916.jpg

11. Good to see ya back turning the wrenches. Now back out there and finish that baby, and get'r on the road!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. Got to spend a little bit of time mocking up the steering column and wheel. Need to get the steering shafts and joints figured out next.

Grab the wheel and make vrooom vroom noises, check!

ImageUploadedByTJJ1365451412.593309.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1365451423.369026.jpg

ImageUploadedByTJJ1365451437.135057.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  13. Got the booster/ master/ pedal assembly in today. Only had to cut off about a 1/4" or the pedal support. I will need to cut off the pedal arm and reposition so it offsets to the right more, but should be pretty easy. I will loose the ugly modern pedal pad too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pedal support braces between the firewall and the dash. I was able to keep the factory dash/firewall support as well. I also cut the reinforcing plate from my donor suburban and used it between the booster and pedal assembly. It should be rock solid!

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Yes! Its got a V8! New champion radiator and and 16" fan that fits as a puller! I pulled the motor out this afternoon and finished welding up the modified motor mounts. Had to flip the driverside mount widen it and offset it to get it to clear the rack. Threw the front clip on to check things and its looking good! Now to finish a couple odds and ends on the frame and blow it all apart again for to finish welding and paint the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. 1 step forward and 2 steps back...

Pretty excited though! Last time blowing her apart. Time to finish weld and lay some paint on the frame, then its final assembly!

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Spent some odd hours last week and and i am proud to announce... Everything on my frame is fully welded so i can finally start painting and final assembly.

Stripped everything from the frame, degreased and pressure washed off 63 years of grease, dirt and undercoating. Cut out some boxing plates to add strength to the rear spring hanger and shackle areas. Coated behind a couple spots i wouldn't be able to reach later. I took it a step further and welded on the tic rear spring hangers to strengthen a little more. I also got my IFS fully welded and my rack notches trimmed up and fully welded. It was a long day with a bunch of welding.

Cant wait to move on to final assembly!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. Purple Power!!!

(eastwood rust converter)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. raven

raven

Wow three minutes from welding/cleaning to paint.
    Man, you're good.
    I don't think even Jim Sibley can move that fast.
    r

19. the-rodster

the-rodster

20. oldman2

oldman2

How long do you have to wait before painting over the rust converter. Is that a dark blue or black, looks blue on my PC? Nice job....Jim

21. I know right, its just so easy to build a truck in an internet thread.

Rich, thanks man! Saw your truck at Beech Bend a couple years back. If it seems familiar its probably because im subscribed to your build thread and have stolen several ideas ;)

Directions say to let it cure for 48 hours and then top coat with the rust encapsulator. I snapped the pic while it was wet. It dries a nasty dull black color.

22. Back to roller status!

Got the front end assembled and some parts back together. I threw the rear end back in, because i forgot to weld on the saddles...doh. It sure looks nasty against the fresh frame. I also need to re fab the lower shock mounts. The 3" blocks screwed up the location of the shock mounts on the plates. Unfortunately ill have to get some weight back on the frame before i do either. Then ill pull it out and freshen it all up.

This project is kinda fun again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Just read your hole thread looks really nice cool truck it will be sweet with the engine sitting in her. Keep going your doing it!

24. Thanks! Engine is off getting a exterior reseal and a rattle can rebuild!

25. Every once in a while i find it fun to go back and reread my build thread front to back. Its interesting to me how things change, life progresses, how naive I was in the beginning. Its good motivation to see how far you come. Tonight i was reading through my thread and noticed, when i pulled this truck out of the barn my little boy was just 5 weeks old.

He'll be 3 this october. I try to get him outside to play every chance we get. If youve ever raised a boy, im sure you understand the benefits of wide open spaces. If we are at home and the garage doors are up... no doubt, he is making a b-line for dada's mater truck. He likes to talk about the work I've been doing. He grabs wrenches and screwdrivers and puts bolts in all the open holes he can find. Earlier this week i threw the seat and steering back in to check pedal placement. My little guy saw the door was open and seized the opportunity to climb up in the seat, rip the wheel back and forth and make vrrrroooooom noises as loud as he could! (in his undies)

Made me sit back and think how this project started out as a selfish pipe dream back soon to be 20 years ago. And it's just now starting to take on some real meaning!

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

It is grate to see him happy with you and the truck. I raised 3 boy's on buying cars trucks and selling them. They tell there new and old friends about it all the time.
    But I always had to sell them to keep going.
    What did the seat in the AD truck come out of?

27. Its out of an 89 chevy pickup. Itll get recovered in some black vinyl when i get the interior finished up. Fit is unbelievable! I'll post up the details of mKing it work as soon as i finish up a little trick i am working on.

28. oldman2

oldman2

Neat story and great pic...Jim

29. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

I see you have not done the windshield yet. A trick to get the rubber seal to fit better.
    Cut you a template out of 1/4" plywood, the size of the whole thing, pinch welds
    included. Put the seal around it and tape it. Just let it sit, till you are ready to install it. The longer it sits the better it will do.
    I am quit sure the same has been said some were else here on the HAMB.