Register now to get rid of these ads!

need shorter tie rod ends to fit 89 rack

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rcrown, Aug 22, 2013.

1. rcrown

rcrown

Hello,
    I've tried some different part stores around town for tie rod ends to fit my car with no luck. The car is a 62 falcon w/mII setup that is using a 89 power mustang Rack and pinion under it. I just got home and tried installing the tie rod ends from the 89 mustang and as you can guess they were too long (bottoming out on inner shaft). I need to find a shorter tie rod end that would work with this rack and im hoping someone has been through this and have any information on a sourse for shorter tie rod ends from cross reference of other makes and models that can be used.
    Thank you again
    Ron

Attached Files:

2. Veach

Veach

There are aftermarket companies that handle these if no one can help you out

3. daliant

daliant

Can you trim some of the inner shaft off so the tie rod end doesn't bottom out but still be in the threaded area?

4. Puddin Head

Puddin Head
    from Mason, Oh

How much shorter does it need to be? It looks like you have 2-3" of threads on the rack. Trim it as much as you need on both sides to get it where are comfortable. Hope this helps.

5. rcrown

rcrown

If i install the 89 mustang outter tie rod end (which was about 5" - 5.5" in length). The tie rod end screws all the way down the shaft to the end of threads located on the inner tie rod shaft. This will not allow any adjustment to correct toe or even allow the locking nut to be in place. I know there has to be a factroy car out there with a shorter length around 3"which will screw on to the inner tie rod end which would work. if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
    Thank you

6. Moog lists tie rod ends by size in the back of their catalog

7. OldFord39

OldFord39
    from Monroe, Wi

8. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

Yours are the 5", you need the early mustang 2 ends which are 3.5

9. rcrown

rcrown

Early mustang II ends, Sounds great thank you.

10. cryobug

cryobug

I have run into this before and I just trimmed the inner tie rod until I had enough clearance.