Register now to get rid of these ads!

Iskenderian Camshaft what great service!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TERPU, Aug 21, 2013.

1. TERPU

TERPU

SO I am building a '63 Cadillac first series engine. I'm almost ready to screw it together and have all the machine work and cleaning done. If any of you have ever tried to get the "right" camshaft for this engine you know it's a PITA. First you gotta explain it's really like the '62 not the later '63 etc. Once you get through this then it's onto the regular stuff. I called four different camshaft companies looking for the "right" one. Isky has always been tops on my list and two of the last three engines I built have them in there, including a blown Chrysler that they walked me through for the "right" stick.

As I was talking to them at Isky I was told to send my original and see if it could be re-ground. Too cool if it could have happened, and after a few conversations we found out bummer no go. So after three weeks of messing around on this one I was kinda at a loss.

Well I talked to Ron today and he set me right with a solid lifter camshaft, lifters, and the formula to make it all work with Studebaker Rockers.

It was so nice to talk to somebody who actually knew what they were talking about, had the answers and the ability to deliver. This could have gone horribly wrong but man I feel good about it again and that's all due to Ron's knowledge.

Isky is the best,

Tim

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man I didn't even know Isky was still around! From my own experiences in the '60s and '70s an Iskenderian cam was a real big deal, good to see that they're still kicking. I wonder if ol' Ed (and his cigar):D is still with us.

3. TERPU

TERPU

Yep,

Ed just turned 92 I believe. I had the pleasure of being between him and Linda Vaughan in the staging lanes at the Patch a few years ago. Still had his Ceegar and Linda was laughing at his jokes. He's still got it.

all the best,

Tim

4. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Had an Isky cam in a SBC way back when---I seem to remember "505"---does that ring a bell?? Really made that mill rev.

5. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Nice write up of support for a company that was one of the founding fathers of modified car culture.

Question for you. What was different about the Studebaker rockers from the stock Cadillac rockers (or others) that made your assembly work?

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I love Isky cams, and have used them for years! I've got the Isky 270 Mega Cam in my 327 now. I always look to Isky first when I'm putting an engine together!
    [​IMG]

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have always really liked thier valvetrain components, they dont sell any junk, unlike another cam co. I can think of...:rolleyes:

8. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

I have one in my flathead, couldn't be happier with the way it contributes to the performance.

9. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

I have a 270 Mega cam in my 350 and love it! Sitting on a 304 Mega cam and still kicking around if it will go in.....

10. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Did you try this combo? ..............did it work?

11. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

another Isky fan...

12. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

When I built a BBC for my '66 Chevelle drag car, Isky steered me in the right direction with my engine build. And it ran like gangbusters just like they said it would!!!
    Great bunch of guys and great American company!!! :D

13. 54nomore

54nomore
    from illinois

Cadillacs had hydraulic cams/ non adjustable rockers

14. TERPU

TERPU

That's correct.

I am using a solid lifter camshaft, solid lifters of course, Stude rockers and solid pushrods. What makes this work is the custom pushrod length and the adjustable Stude rockers. I like mechanical cams so this is perfect for me. I could have just as easily put a hydraulic set up in there. But mechanical is more fun for me. Stude rockers also have a higher ratio for more lift. This requires you dimple the rocker covers or buy Hildebrandt or Squeek Bells that are clearanced for this. When I fire it off I'll post a video. Should sound heavenly. Coolest part is Ron walked me through all my likes and dislikes and is making the grind just for me. I will never go anywhere else for camshafts they have my trust for sure.

All the best,

Tim

15. TERPU

TERPU

I'll post the video when I bust it off so you can hear it.

I am chomping at the bit for this one!

Tim

16. Saw Ed at the SoCal Open House right before the LA Roadster show - Let him sit in my folding chair under the big tree in front and he handed me one of those speed/power calculators. Great guy!

17. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You must not follow the H.A.M.B too often. This was posted 2 days ago,
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=825435&highlight=isky

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

19. frosty49

frosty49

Racer Brown did a regrind on my original cam in my flathead. Thumps. Call him in Baltimore Md. I am more than pleased.

20. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.