Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage US Route 6 Iowa River to River Classic Car and Retro Road trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DWDarby, Apr 29, 2013.

1. AHotRod

AHotRod

You guys have put a ton of work into this adventure, I hope you get a GREAT turnout.

Please keep us posted.

2. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This bridge reminds me more of the climactic crash in Felsen's Hot Rod, especially being set in Iowa.

I traveled many miles on Hwy 6 from birth through my 20s; with all the Route 66 hype most people don't realize Hwy 6 was the "thin red line" Jack Kerouac was inspired to travel in On the Road.

Hope you have a great turnout!

3. DWDarby

DWDarby

With the River to River Retro Road Trip less then 2 weeks away, we have nearly 100 pre registered cars! (We can expect to exceed that.) The towns along the way are getting involved, and will be parking their vintage fire trucks, ambulances, cars, tractors, etc along the way.

[​IMG]

In Newton, they will be blocking off the town square for us, and in addition to the drive-in movie, there will be live blues by Hot Tamale & the Red Hots at the Speakeasy, and Classic Rock by Insane Jane at the Scoreboard.

The streets of Brooklyn Iowa (where this vintage gas station is) will be wall to wall classics on Friday...

[​IMG]

We'll be taking many of the original alignments....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to share this cool find with you. This is an old billboard for Pirkey's motel in Wilton. It was being used as a porch roof for the past few decades...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the latest updates on events, lodging and itinerary...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0ICQidYCRZYUkg0OG5fX3FuRDg/edit?usp=sharing

And for cruisers who will be in Davenport the Thursday before, lots of dining discounts at locally owned Downtown restaurants and pubs...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0ICQidYCRZYU1djMlotdktNOWs/edit?usp=sharing

4. iarodder

iarodder

Unfortunately I will not be able to join in probably till Friday evening, possibly not until you all reach Newton, (work related:mad:). If anyone has a need for a few tools or a driveway/ garage to work on something mine will be available, and I live about 2 blocks off of old U.S. 6....I would possibly open my garage up for people to stop by and visit maybe even a H.A.M.B. meet and greet if there is enough interest? P.M. me if interested, I might even be able to set up a tour with my buddy's classic car restoration shop in town also? let me know if there is interest in this as well.:cool:

5. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

6. Gearhead 10

Gearhead 10
    from NW Iowa

I'd love to run with ya guys Wayne, but just not in the budget this yr. Looks like a lotta fun and sounded pretty darn cool when I talked with you.

7. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

If anyone needs assistance near Mitchellville I'll offer what ever help or tools I can. My shop is just off the Hi-way 6 curve at the stop sign at Mitchellville. I'll have my truck and car parked at the end of the drive way as I get to work. (I hope not, I'm trying to get it off)

8. Lostinwisc

Lostinwisc

We are gonna be heading for Davenport later this morning , see ya there !

9. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Man some great photographs of some beautiful country and cars. Wish it was not so far but maybe a road trip at some point.

Best of luck with the event.

10. I Envy you folks that will make this trip!!

Ben

11. Green AD

Green AD
    from Iowa

I live about a mile from George's. I'll be there, albeit without a car. Just lookin'.

If anyone needs some help in the Des Moines area on Sunday, let me know.

12. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

great seeing all the cars rolling out this morn from Davenport

13. junk

junk

Just got back from the cruise. Had a great time. We ended early as we're from Northwest IA.

14. junk

junk

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377405993.046857.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377406019.019159.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377406053.025533.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377406101.811825.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. Kinky6

Kinky6

Sounds like a great driving event. I could see somebody doing a "Hank Williams Lost Highway Drive" here in Alabama along the same lines.

That Sudbury Court motel photo in post #1 reminds me of a Kent Bash painting. Nice work.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like a cool trip. I like to photo of the rock and the clouds.

17. DWDarby

DWDarby

I want to thank everybody who joined us for our third annual River to River Retro Road Trip. We had over 200 cars participate over the course of three days, with right around 100 at any given time.

Here we are at the start...

[​IMG]

We had lunch in Durant and Wilton.

[​IMG]

We had an impromptu car show at Country Arts & Antiques in Marengo, where they hooked us up with free Root Beer Floats!

[​IMG]

Happy Hour at the Ladora Bank Bistro...

[​IMG]

Brooklyn Iowa was a blast, with over 160 cars lining the street.

[​IMG]

They really know how to throw a welcome party, too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's a little bit of day 1...

18. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Very nice! I'm glad you had a great turn out. I watched you guys and gals go by my parent's place Saturday morning. I'm going to try to do this next year.

19. Lostinwisc

Lostinwisc

I don't remember the name of the eatry in Brooklyn...... but the BBQ beef sandwich was almost worth the drive by itself !!!
    The wife & I had a great time !! Cool people -- interesting cars -- great weather --- it was a blast !!

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Neat stuff. Looks like a lot of fun. Gary