Register now to get rid of these ads!

T confiscated because of engine number?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noah*, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout
    from East Idaho

I'd say there are a lot of options they could have done. For example they could have done a little investigative work on the OP and made a determination if they think he's the criminal. I don't know the OP so I can't say but I'd guess with all the documentation and stuff he has and the fact that he walked in there with good intentions they could come to the conclusion that he was on the up and up. They could have took his number (phone number) and told him not to do anything on the car until they did some research, told him to take it home and park it and leave it or if they were insistent on having the motor let him pull it in the shade of his house or shop or garage or whatever. Then they could have done their investigation and dependent upon what that uncovered moved forward from there. That's how it's done here.

I just bought and registered a 31 model A with a replacement banger engine and the numbers don't match the Vin on the title, took it to the local DMV, the officer came out and asked where the vin was, I told him it had a number on the engine but that had been replaced and the only other number was the Ford production number on the frame under the body, he said OK, we'll just assume the title is correct. Let me run that number. He ran it and came out and said "I have bad news...just kidding here you go have fun". And that's what I've been doing.

P.S. best of luck on getting it all straightened out!

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That's really good news, now you can put this behind you and put in the new motor. I would still be attempting to get the old one back, just for principle and because you really did nothing wrong, but you got the biggest part of the package back.

They could have been really crappy and kept the whole car, so that was some consolation, at least.

Don

3. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

Do an investigation to see if they "THINK" he's a criminal? Really? Sorry Sir but that's not the way it works. Wish it does but it doesn't. It works the way it does because of the FACT that the OP has rights and "they" can't just make opinions about him base on what they think. They need evidence (which is what that motor is) and conduct an investigation and THEN draw a conclusion as to whether the OP is a criminal. Which I'm sure he isn't or he wouldn't have taken the motor to them in the first place. People are ignorant. And I don't use that term as an insult but rather more of an observation of people who just don't know about the Constitution or any of its amendments. Which is ok because there's professionals out there that do and are willing to protect your rights and get your stolen parts back to their rightful owner but never mind those "pigs". Like it or not, it's the best system of government out there second to none and if you think someone is doing it better somewhere else then pack up all ur shit and your hot rod made of stolen parts and go there and live your life. Wouldn't it be ironic if Noah's last post was about how a fellow hot rodder got his stolen motor back that he inadvertently had and he was so happy about it that he bought Noah an awsome motor for his rig? Who knows. Maybe that guy is reading these posts and his phone is about to ring reference his stolen motor that those filthy greedy stupid dumbass pigs found. Hmmm...makes you wonder.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I've read this thing,haven't put in my "OPNION " well, because you have enough of those on this thread. glad you got car back,and PLEASE let us know what happens at the hearing!!

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Jimmy Hoffa did it.

6. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

He is right, if there is no actual proof it is stolen, you will have to appear at a Property hearing, The judge will see if there is a claimant . If no one claims the engine ,insurance, last registered owner etc, You most likely will be awarded the property right there and then. I have been to a property hearing in HURST over a trailer,Mine lasted 15 minutes.

7. k9racer

k9racer

Just to add something.. I purchased a new 350 cu in G M race engine today its called a 602 crate engine. Its used in circle track cars . Its a spec engine. I look on the pad and it has a serial number stamped on it. The car its going in is O T but it is my Sportsman asphalt car.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  8. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout
    from East Idaho

Didn't say "Think he's a criminal" said think he's "the" criminal as in this stolen motor. And no where do I condemn the police involved.

I totally agree they are doing the right thing by determining if it is stolen, all I'm saying is they could work with him instead of against him by making some judgment calls. In small towns like I live in, they know me, they know my history to some extent based on the fact I've never had any run ins with the law and yes they would have let me take it home and just did the investigation with the understanding that if it turns bad I'm out a motor and the rightful owner will get it back. One look at my place and they'd know I wasn't going to split country over the motor.

9. Cop watched you for 4 hours meanwhile the tweakers run wild, the borders flow like water, and the drunk drivers go speeding by. Nice priorities.

10. louie,
    Why don't you take your politics to face book. The drama and the politics are not really welcome here.

Noah*
    Just wanted to say that I am feeling your pain here. What a hastle. But I am also going to say that it is good to hear that you are making some headway. I do hope you get your mill back friend. It is a PITA but if it all works out it is way better then a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

My point... exactly. I'm not against the cops investigating the fact that it APPEARS to possibly be a stolen engine, I think it's bullshit that they put this guy's dick through the ringer with nothing to go on other than vague suspicion and a POORLY marred serial number that you can STILL READ.

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

yep...:(

13. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

He can't be everywhere at once. Plus, he was doing his appointed job for the day. That was inspecting this T-bucket that was found to have a 8 cylinder known to be stolen. In doing his appointed job for the day he was in fact enforcing the law as we citizens compensate him/her to do.

14. Real glad to hear you got the car back. In my mind that is the most important thing. I will be real interested to hear the outcome of the engine deal. Oh yeah, did they keep the transmission, too? Good luck.

15. Actually the engine was allegedly stolen not known to be stolen. What is known is that someone beat on the numbers for whatever reason.

You are absolutely correct that the officer in question is doing what he or she is supposed to be doing. I think that what T man was trying to say is that we chocking on water and swallowing a whale. An old engine block with the numbers beat pales in light of human trafficing or ???

16. classic gary

classic gary

pet peeve: IT'S NOT A T BUCKET, it's a T coupe. Damn it.................
    now somebody's gonna read this thread and skip over a bunch of it and read the t bucket comment and see the picture of a coupe and put 2 and 2 together and come up with 3.
    Sorry................

17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Not the original numbers. As many have pointed out the original numbers are read from the front. And, as I have suggested, those numbers look to have been stamped after the punch marks as they are not marred by the marks.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Glad you got the car back. Sorry about the engine, but I'm sure you'll get that back too. I just hope the DMV doesn't sweat all the paper work that's going to be tied to that car now. The other half of the story hasn't even happened yet.

19. Blowby it could be that the engine was originally in a car that was titled on engine number and not on vin number. Many states continued to do that up into the '60s. That being the case the original owner may have blown his engine and changed the numbers onthe swapped in engine to match his registration.

If someone was actually doing a numbers job on the engine it is one of the worse numbers jobs I have ever seen. While I am somewhat uncomfortable saying this in a web site I have seen more then my share. This leads me to believe that it is not a stolen engine at all or whomever stole it would have made a better effort to do it right.

How's that for conjecture. :)

20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I agree, and also posted a scenario earlier on in the thread, something that matched Noah's original explanation. And in fact if the new number was ever registered it should help clear up the situation. Hopefully the investigation entials that search.

21. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

The thing that gets me is that these are NOT identification numbers! They are SPECIFICATION numbers. It is sad that the police in this situation did not know the facts about what they were inspecting.

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Those new numbers could be id numbers, I believe that is what P&B is saying.

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's why they are investigating. It looked strange and they want to find out what the deal is. That's what police do. Something looks odd, they check it out. That's Cop 101.

24. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

its the cops...what did you expect.. their paid to ruin your life, shoot your dogs , beat up old women and fondle children.. its just what they do.

25. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

You can probably expect a phone call from Washington D.C., or possibly a black Suburban pulling into your driveway, or maybe a black helicopter arriving soon. Don't worry though, they are just there to offer you a job.:D

26. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

Ok, I think I read a little more into your post than what you meant and I apologize. However, they didn't need to let him get his car minus the motor so I see that as "working" with him. Once law enforcement has the evidence of a possible crime they can't just leave it with the person that possess it. It's called a chain of evidence. They hold onto it until its no longer evidence or they need it for a case to be filed by the DA. It's just how things work and like I said, a lot of people just dont know that. I think most here will agree that motor was probably stolen. When and where by who is why there's now an investigation. If its stolen then that means there's a victim and that person has every right to be contacted and his property returned to him.

27. Model T1

Model T1

I had that happen to me two years ago. Believe me I'd rather have someone take all my junk than go through that again.
    Glad this thread is ending in sort of a happy ending. I'm sure there are still one or two SBC engines for sale somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.