Register now to get rid of these ads!

T confiscated because of engine number?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noah*, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I agree, remove the motor & let them have it.

If I had another SBC, I would give it to you.

I think it needs a hemi tho

2. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

LOL...I actually laughed out loud, yeah that makes sense....a police officer is going to defraud an honest citizen by filing a bogus report...start a bogus investigation and risk losing a 100 grand a year job for a 500 dollar motor that actually isnt worth anything because someone defaced numbers on the block. Yep, case closed.

3. dcs13

dcs13

He says its not the first time its happened. Guess it happens in his area ?

4. McGurk

McGurk
    from Mid West

6-cylinder ENGINE NUMBER is located on the right side of the block to the rear of the distributor.
    8-cylinder ENGINE NUMBER is on pad on front right hand side of the block behind the water pump. All Engine numbers start at 1001. The prefix letter identifies where the engine was built, model year and model type - "F" ~ Flint, "T" ~ Tonawanda.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/models/engine.htm

McGurk

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Has anyone considered that the issue may also be that a stock Ford of his year didn't come with a SBC? It may not be an issue with his case, but the Antique registration rules say that's a no-no.

6. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said This thread...its a soap opera shit show.
    Jay

7. racer32

racer32

Nothing in the antique registration rules that I can see says anything about the engine having to be OEM....only that it has to be 25 years or older.

Noah, if you need help pulling the engine and see this before then, pm me and I'll meet you there.

8. Not in the antique registration rules, but in the title manual. Bonded titles are not for assembled vehicles.

9. Retired cop here too. My son's '68 Chevelle was stolen right out of our driveway. I only wish some "ASSHOLE" cop could have found his engine in ANYTHING....

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So true. You guys are assholes, until the internet badass needs help. Then it's, "Sir, please and thank you."

Thanks for your service.

11. Just wondered if you got the car back today.

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Me too. I was hoping for a live video feed.

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Tap tap tap tap...........we're waiting to hear how you made out today. :D

Don

14. COOOOOOOOOM ONNNNN Noah, I got the popcorn and soda out- aint nuttin on TV,, cant sleep till I find out if its a boy or a girl

15. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

Suppose he took a copy of this thread in with him...probably still sitting in the drunk tank...

16. olds vroom

olds vroom

17. racer32

racer32

Just because a car has a non-oem (or an OEM replacement engine with non-original numbers) doesn't mean it's an "assembled vehicle". If that were the case, there are a LOT of year of manufacture titled early Fords out there which should have "assembled vehicle" titles. If the "vehicle" already consisted of a frame, body, and engine when it was obtained, then it's eligible for a bonded title. If the parts came from different places, or maybe even the same place at different times, that's a different story.

Regardless...my comment was in response to the the statement that using antique registration (tags) for a vehicle with a non-oem engine was forbidden in the antique registration rules....it's not.

18. 2racer

2racer

that's good to know

19. Noah*

Noah*

Got the car out today. The never saw the officer that confiscated it, I had another guy watching. I took all my info that I printed out about what the numbers really "are" in a last ditch effort to get my car out complete, but no such luck. It ended up taking me 4 hours from the time I got there til I had it loaded on the trailer. It was hot as hell, there was no shade, so I was in direct sun all day. Left my truck running most of the time so I could get a little relief.
    The engine is sitting on a homemade wood stand in the lot out in the open. I wrapped it in plastic and stuffed some rags in the openings.
    The officer told me he had to inspect the transmission numbers to make sure they were ok. Once the trans was out I asked him "....so when the engine can't be proven to be stolen, I will get it back right?" He said "you will probably get it back at the property hearing."

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

21. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Glad you got the car back! Wishing you the best with the rest!:)

22. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Glad you got your car back with you ..

I suffer from OCD ... Old car disorder

23. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Well you got the car back... the motor is trivial compared to the whole car. Best of luck getting the motor back , but now you have an excuse for something cooler

24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Cool car, but what is that funky plaque on the firewall that says something like "HAMB?" :)
    That car is cool no matter what engine you end up putting in it.

25. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

What... a... dickhead... seriously. Because something looks sorta/kinda/maybe fishy with the number on a 50+ year old block he confiscates the car and forces you to pull the engine at the impound lot to get the car back?! Without a single shred of REAL evidence of it being stolen? Whoever did that to the block didn't do a very good job, you can still see the number! Without a hit on the number it's just as likely that it was just some jerkoff trying to impress his hoodlum pals with his "new, stolen" motor... If I were you I'd be fucking irate!

26. henry29

henry29

So that's what Karl was doing with that hammer he woke up a holdin'.

27. Man, what a bullshit deal this is.
    I feel for you.
    Glad you got your car out of there.
    I keep checking this thread for developments and will continue to do so.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

"Ching Ching". Looks like we have another winner. Dude, seriously, you saw the markings in the motor. What do you expect? The cops to ignore an obvious problem? Is that what you want them to do when they're looking at your stolen rig? I bet if they did that with YOUR stolen rig then you'd be talking shit about how cops are too dumb to do their job. In this case they ARE doing their job and every ass-clown here bitching about it needs to take a step back and reverse this situation. What if that was YOUR stolen motor. It's SOMEONE'S stolen motor...don't you think they should try to find out if thats the cade which is what these "asshole" cops are suppose to do. Oh but no. The cop wants that motor, I'm sorry, I forgot this case was already closed.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  29. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

So did they keep the trans?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.