Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about gas welding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, Oct 18, 2005.

1. has anyone used a chicago electric (harbor freight) torch set-up ?. are they good or bad. i was having my bottles filled and looked at the new victor set-ups they have. the set i have now is the small victor (came with tanks many years ago), i have to use the cutting head to heat anything up (nevermind cutting 1/8 plate), i need to get atleast a med. setup. the kits they had there started at $240 (their off brand kits were $150-$210). the one from harbor freight is $99.99 and i hardly use it (just for heating and some cutting). just wondering if i should save more money for the victor or not................

2. You should be able to get a bigger tip for your Cutting Torch,
    so it will handle thicker stuff.Much cheaper than a new set.

3. Wolffy

Wolffy
    from Laramie WY

I have been using this torch called a Henrob that seems to work very nice. It saves gas beacuse you just need 4 psi of acetylene and oxygen no matter what you are doing, and it is very user friendly. That's my two cents.

Wolffy

4. cadlights

cadlights
    from Hooper, Ut

This isn't the classifieds but I've got this great ol Marquette set with a rebuild mixing chamber that has never been used for $100.00 plus shipping if you are interested.
    [​IMG]

5. VonXulu

VonXulu
    from Ventura Ca

I had the same question / problem when I was shopping for a Oxy/Acetaline set-up. I cracked open the local "Pennysaver" and ther was one for sale, 50$ no tanks. Got a cutting torch, extra weliding torch and tips, 30' hoses, regulators and a bitchen' 20's to 30's era cart for the commercial grade tanks, yeah the Biggen's. Then I scored three oxy tanks and an acetaline tank for FREEE!:D
    Look in your local papers my friend, you never know what will pop up.

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Lot'sa good places ta save money on tools, but every time I've tried ta
    step over dollars ta pick up pennies on cheap welding equipment, I've
    gotten burned.

If the China junk ever needs repair ( highly likely) who works on 'um?
    The squirt gun welders,from off shore, that have flooded the market over the past
    10-20 years, don't have a very impressive track record ,reliability wise.
    My money says their fire wrenches arn't much better.

7. This is what i have, i'm using a #4 tip (the pieces at the end are adapters because the hose it to big). i also have an old craftsman cutter, does anyone know if it's compatable with victor or harris?. the body of the smaller one is about 6" long and 5/8" across...........

Attached Files:

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Don't forget to check the pawn shops. You can get a 40 year old Victor rebuilt with no problems. Will anybody have parts for a Harbor freight import in 10 years?

9. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

used to have a marquet*spelling* then i got a victor 2. I LOVE IT!!!

[​IMG]

10. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

I took a welding class that had brand new, I think, Smith's or Victors....SUCKED I know they make different qualities and I don't know what models they were....but they were absolute junk...

I'm taking an HVAC class now, and they have the same as the welding class....suck too!

I bought (well, all kinds) some torches at a swap meet. I have Harris (probably the best IMHO), Victor (pretty good too) and Airco. I chose the Airco because I have more accessories for it; brazing tips, rose buds, extra bodies. Anyway, my point is, it didn't work when I got it. I bought all the seals and rebuild parts for about $15-$20. So, I've got an older, better quality torch one for less money.

As far as the regulators go, I guess just try and find a nice clean set. Make sure they don't "climb" or leak.

Somewhere, someone has a set they are not using and are willing to let them go cheap. The hard part is finding that person. I've found that this is the case for almost anything you are needing and looking for...

11. BELLM

BELLM

I bought a new set of the cheapies less the torch body & cutting head for $35 @ swap meet a year ago, I needed regulators, they are single stage but have worked good so far. At $75 a pop to rebuild my old Victor regulators this was a deal. Of course I don't use them but about once a week, if I was in a production shop would be a different story.

12. the regulators and hoses are good, just the whole head unit is too small. i'll borrow my friends airtex for a little while. thanks cadlights for the offer, but one of my customers wants to trade some work for a old victor set he has. so like you all said "just wait and look around".........oh yea has anyone heard of purox, that's the regulators and head/tips.

thanks all

Attached Files:

13. cadlights

cadlights
    from Hooper, Ut

Man I really screwed up this thread didn't I. Purox, Good product, been around quite awhile.

14. nah you didn't.........you're just trying to hook a fellow hamber up.........no harm there.

15. cadlights

cadlights
    from Hooper, Ut

Oh, by the way I've got some guages too if anybody's interested.