Register now to get rid of these ads!

Options when your classic car gets into an accident

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scramboleer, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Scramboleer

Scramboleer

Hi all,

My Dad is okay after being rear-ended in his '39 Buick Special 40 this morning. The other driver directly behind him didn't see the stop sign that my dad had just stopped for, and rear-ended him in the middle of the intersection. The Buick looks totaled, and it appears the other driver has regular insurance while my Dad has Hagerty. So assuming it's totaled, what options are there in addition to the "here's your check?" Can he buy it back the wreck from the insurance company? Any catch to that (other than the title would say "salvage" on it)?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Questions to ask your insurer. It can vary.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Let Hagerty handle it as they will either give you a payment for repair or for a total,then they will go after the other guys ins. Yes if totaled you will have the option of buying the salvage.

4. extd56

extd56

Hagerty is a great insurance to have, they will handle all the details and you will have first option to buy the car back if it is totaled.

5. Yeah,Hagerty is a great insurance company but it just depends on your dad's policy,,,read it and talk to your insurance man. HRP

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Sorry for the grim question but will you dad be around long enough to enjoy the car after its been in a shop for a very long time? My dad is old enough that if his '56 Dodge gets totaled that it would be better just to get the money and buy somthing else TODAY then have to deal with the months and months of getting the car fixed and losing all that time, Stuff happens and you just have to deal with it the best you can.

7. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Dan, sorry to hear about the accident and hope your Dad is okay. I would try working with the other drivers insurance first. You don't want a claim on yours unless it's not going well with theirs, then turn to Hagerty. There are stories to be told on both sides of the fence about the good and bad dealing with a claim like this. Just research your options with their adjuster, ask the questions and if happy with the outcome, leave your insurance out of it.

8. Scramboleer

Scramboleer

Thanks for all the help guys. Dad is 64 - so he could be around for a while or pass on next week. He had installed lap belts when he bought the Buick years back. Lap belts aren't stellar, but they are better than nothing as today proved. He's okay with a banged shin and knee, and has a doctor's appointment set for Friday just to see if any other injuries pop up this week.

The irony? He was driving it down to the the family mechanic's shop this AM to put her up on his car lift and take pictures of chassis/underneath and put her up for sale next week. Dad's had old cars (stock ones) his whole life (Ford Model A/Willys MB/Jeep CJ2A) and now wants a resto-mod for his next (and likely final) ride.

Thanks again.

Dan

9. if it is Truly totaled I don't think he is going to have any option BUT to get Hagerty involved, because the other guy's insurance is not going to want to pay anywhere near what it was most likely insured for.

10. waterhorse

waterhorse

It sounds like the other guy is at fault, so let your insurance (Hagerty) go after them for the repairs or replacement. That's what you are paying the insurance co for.

11. flamed34

flamed34

I didn't have an issue with an old car, but I did have an issue with a Corvette that got hit. I learned the hard way DO NOT use the other guys insurance. My insurance has been stellar in the past, but once I got involved directly with the other company, my insurance didn't want to get involved.
    Hagertys wrote the policy on the car and I assume set an agreed value for replacement. They also realize that you can't walk in to a normal collision repair shop and get the work done as quickly or easily as a late model.

12. oldolds

oldolds

If he was going to sell it. Why would you want it back?

13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

At 64 your dad is still young (only 9yrs older than me) My dads in his 80's and it would not be practial for him to deal with another project. In fact when he bought his car it wasnt the color he wanted and wanted to do a color change inside and out, "Dad ,dont do it, you could lose the car for a year" just enjoy "THE CAR"

14. txturbo

txturbo

If the other guy had regular insurance...you aren't going to get much. You should get Hagerty involved ASAP.

15. 400 4spd.

400 4spd.

As someone in the business of repairing these old cars, I find that if the owner ends up involving his own collector insurance company things work out well for them.

16. 440mopar

440mopar
    from tempe

I dont find this to be accurate. Contact your ins company.

17. Scramboleer

Scramboleer

Thanks all. I was thinking of buying it off of him or I know a few people who might want the salvaged remnants and I was wondering how that might work. Most importantly, I didn't want him to get hosed somewhere in the process, regardless if the salvaged leftovers are available or not.

It looks like the short answer is: stick with Hagarty. He's been on the phone with them multiple times today already.

Thanks again.

18. Weasel

Weasel

Watch out for whiplash. I was rear ended at a stoplight in a '58 Chrysler. At the time I felt okay but later on the headaches started and they were blinding. I suffered spinal injuries and have suffered for years from this. Let Hagerty handle everything. It would appear that it is 100% the other guy's fault. Just make sure your dad is okay and keep a watchful eye out over the next few days....

19. BobMcD

BobMcD

Contact the insurance company for the driver at fault. They are liable up to the limit of the policy. Depends on how much coverage he has. Be prepared to show documentation of what the car is really worth. I would not turn in a claim to my own insurance company if the other guy was at fault.

20. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

With out kind of car with agreed value you will be best served by using YOUR company to deal with the other guys ins.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call your insurance company. They will take care of it.

22. Have your dad see a doctor ASAP and consult with a lawyer. I was in a rear-end crash almost 2 years ago and I'm still back and forth to doctors, going for another spinal injection next week.

Best of luck to all.

Bob

23. BobMcD

BobMcD

I respectfully disagree. Hagerty may do a great job taking care of him this time. But a claim is a claim. Rates go up or policys are cancelled after claims are paid out. Why have a claim on your record if it's the other guys fault? Personally I would start with the other guys insurance. He may have great insurance.

24. 440mopar

440mopar
    from tempe

You will have a claim either way,doesnt matter who YOU contact, YOU have a claim.
    You arent going to skirt that issue.

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I was able to buy back my total from the insurance company and never turned in my title, so it's not a salvage vehicle.

26. Bounder

Bounder

Have a friend that was in Bollin Green in his 61 Vette and was rear ended by a "lady" that was texting. Totaled his car and they both had State Farm, they only paid what her policy was for, of course the minimum. Cost him about 30 grand.He had had the car 43 years. State Farm wanted 22 grand to buy back the total. Bought another 61 instead. But heart broken.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As the others said I'd let Hagerty fight that end of the battle, They recoup what they can from the other insurance company.

As far as buying it back, From my own experience buying one back, unless the car is damned special to you or you have the ways and means to fix it or swap the undamaged pieces over to a good body shell I'd let it go and let your dad take full payment for it. That way your dad has the cash and the car is gone and done with.

If it works like it did when I had to deal with it a rep from the other person's insurance company will show up on his doorstep with three checks. One for what "they" want to pay to total the car, one for about half that in case he wants to keep the car and one for pain and suffering and med bills. He can refer them to his insurance on the car part and let them fight it out and I'd not take a check for pain and suffering until I figured out I actually didn't have any real pains that needed taking care of. My ribs hurt for a year from being banged against the arm rest in a 70 Chev pickup in a three roll rollover and I didn't know how sore they would be for several days after the wreck.

28. txturbo

txturbo

Bad advice....regular insurance only sees it as a car over 10 years old. They won't pay very much....unless he has an official appraisal by a third party. Even if he doesn't file a claim thru Hagerty they should still be involved. But letting regular insurance take care of it is a big mistake.....been there and so has a friend of mine that ignored my advice about not insuring his classic with regular insurance.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

"Buying it back" is just a phrase.

You actually own it now, what you will do is accept an amount from your insurance company (if they will allow you to do so) for the insured amount, less the salvage value , determined buy actual bids,(if allowed by your state law) This will allow you and your insurance company to not have to re title it.