Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clear coat over old original paint anybody?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kein, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

DON'T DO IT! Having been in the paint and body trade most of my life I feel qualified to comment. For so many reasons clear over old paint is not a good idea. Problems will be caused by potentially sealing-in damp and rust, paint reactions, the clear eventually lifting, it's not reversable, I could go on and on. Plus of course you can always tell it's been done.
    A far better option in my humble opinion is to wipe the pantwork over with Gibbs Brand and gently buff it. When its dry you wouldn't know its there, it will stop futher deterioraton and look very natural. Best of all, you can even paint over it if the need arises.
    I've done this to my own cars and I know many others on here have done the same.
    Hope this helps.....

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013

2. Wow, looks great.

3. Dunk54

Dunk54

As my 54 is in the good old damp UK I use a wax (Morris Anchorwax) to 'seal' the areas where there is bare or metal or 'thin' paint. It dries out over a while (when we do get sun!!) and I just wash down and reapply. It does darken the area covered and is matt effect for sure. It can be pretty tacky to the touch but keeps people from leaning on your car, or if they do they get reminder of it to take away with them on their clotes :).

4. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

More info on Gibbs material please ? Is it a Paste Wax ?

5. I don't under stand why.All the hard work that people put in to a car or truck to leave rust on it?????? What ever happened to a nice paint job glossy or satin(flat) . But why rust?But they say different strokes for different folks..... It's your ride do with it as you please.... my opinion is just that mine.

6. kein

kein

Jerome- I love shiney paint but at this point I just can't afford to do that right now. I will be spending the money on getting this car in condtion for a cross county road trip with a nice interior to match. money...money....money. I will eventually get it painted nicely but since the body is so nice I have decided drivetrain and interior first on this one, just want to prevent serious rust issues while I drive it for the next few years.

Really have not paid attention to the "patina" craze, didn't even know it was that touchy a subject, just planning the phases of this build which will prob be over a few years.

7. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

That's funny! (and I totally agree)

8. BIG-BRO

BIG-BRO

9. plynational

plynational
    from ohio

if you prep the paint and metal right it should last for some time but you need someone that has some quality experience its not just a quick paint on a Saturday night before the game

10. Cooool cabinet.