Register now to get rid of these ads!

21 Reasons Why I Love Hot Rods & Customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 13, 2013.

1. rixrex

rixrex

Yes..yes..and I would have to add, Design..something interesting, pleasing to the eye. Draws your attention. Back when people gave a shit about what something looked like, took great pains to visually stimulate and stand out from the crowd!

2. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

Flaaaaaat lakker. Colors. Candies. Flake. Lace Jobs. Panels. Scallops. Pinstriping. Flames. Tuck and roll. Pleats. Indian blankets. Louvers.

Don't like the look of what you have....chop it, paint it, swap the grill, lake pipes, put a Cad motor in a ford, Ford rear in a Chevy....damn the fun is endless.

All manner of style and individual greatness is gone from today's vehicles. They are fast, quiet and dependable but they are sadly boring.

3. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ive never been very interested in many new cars after the early 70's.After they went with the plastic bumpers and no chrome they all started to look the same. I guess that is when they started to get all cluttered under the hood and hard to work on. In their quest for mileage they lost their charm. I'll stay with the hot rods and customs.

4. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great list. But we're not running out of gas any time in our lifetimes or our children's. Reserves to last well over a hundred years and more being discovered every day.

Drive on...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  5. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

....and.....AMEN.

6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to disagree with # 9 about running out of fossil fuels. Pardon my Irish/Welsh, German heritage, but those sorry, fucking shits in D.C. want all Americans to think just that. Politics and politicians SUCK. The rest of the list is right on, especially the last one. I love cruising in my '32 RED roadster or my '40 Deluxe 2-dr, both Fords with Chevy power. Who could've guessed ?

7. mx6262

mx6262

What a wounderful distraction my hot rod is!!!:cool:

Amen...

Thanks Duane

Attached Files:

8. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Living in South Texas (translated as hotter than the hinges of Hell), I drive the roadster much more often at night than daylight. Looking through that '29 windshield at the road ahead convinced me to take her for a ride. You two have a very satisfied look on your faces, and fortunately I can relate. Wonderful feeling ! ! Love that '40 Ford wheel.

9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, Kentuck, what were you thinking, anyhoo ? ? I'm soo glad you came to your senses. If you don't need to sell it, PLEASE DON'T ! ! I did it once, and pined for that '34 for years. Keep it, Bud, and make the run to Lonestarroundup in Austin in April each year. It is a good one, and KAINTUCKERS are cordially invited, along with all rodders.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't put a reason to it, let alone 21 reasons. I can say that there seems to be a certain "something" about seeing a car like the photo offered for that installation. The missing hub cap/wheel cover, down a bit, even a number. Something just a bit pissed off about it. Looks especially good on a dumped 59 Chevy, doesn't it?

But then again it might be that pissed off thing. What about that vibe? Something about "us", hot rodders, and throw drag racers in the mix, has always been just a bit left or right of the social strata. Other than a few shows, do you hear sportscasters throwing out who won Top Fuel or Funny Car? They cover NASCAR hardcore, even some personal drama about the drivers. Us? We get a single finger salute albeit hidden under a hanky, but we know what it is. Today we emphasize talent and craftsmanship, the old builders are celebs, machines and metal equipment are in home garages. If you were there, if you got exposed to it or lived it in the day, the largest percentage of you were somewhat outcast, off the beaten path, hooked on speed and visual modification as bad or worse than a heroin addict. The rest of the public be damned because we know why we do it and what we get from it. Maybe if I were forced into a reason it's that miniscule essence of rebellion. That subtle "fuck you" that the rest of the mindless hoards feel when they see you with that oil stain on your sleeve as you take that 1st drive. Something inside me likes that part of all of this. From the street to the dry lakes to air fields and dedicated tarmac. Kustoms are not immune from it either. It may have started innocent enough but those elements above are always there. Perhaps just a bit easier on the senses but it's there and even louder if you really "get it". Is that a reason? Couldn't say...

11. Add in a few friends with the same enthusiasm and your in Hot Rod Heaven!:) HRP

[​IMG]

Ellwood59 likes this.