Register now to get rid of these ads!

AHRA returning?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Project Paladin, Jan 14, 2013.

1. slammed

slammed

I too long for an alternative to that 'other' name of racing game, but with over 50% of Americans now struggling to make ends meet and 30% on assistance it looks doubtful.

2. Where the missing money went, apparently.

3. jangleguy

jangleguy

The Flat Earth Society seems to be thriving on the HAMB. Good for you guys!

But I'm all for this effort to give grassroots racers alternative sanctioning. I've written to Mr. Saint, offering my help via media relations, etc, but haven't received any reply from him yet. I assume he's pretty busy trying to put such an undertaking together. It sounds like quite a handful already. So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, and remain optimistic. Nothing happens until something happens. While others talk, Saint is into action. For that alone, I support his efforts.

Meanwhile, we still have the HAMB Drags (a bona fide miracle) - so what's to whine about?

Scotty

4. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

Theres hardly any small private owned tracks anymore and nhra along with ihra will bulley the new guys out. Jmo

5. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

Right On! I'm with you.

6. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

I got some more info, looks like 2014.

ahramotorsports.com

7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

One poster posted the following comment,

Sure but what's the big deal with the AHRA name? Screw it, screw them, someone wants to start a HAMB-friendly competitor to the NHRA they don't need the "A" name. __________________

This the same question I asked Rod Saint when he called me about two or three years ago.

A.H.R.A. in it's hay day was a great association but then things started getting shaky with promoters and racers not getting paid and then it happened again with the new group in 2009 and 2010

I personally would really like to see it work but to try and restart the old A.H.R.A. with all the old baggage the name brings with it I think we be a uphill battle and to do during a recession is another thing and on top of all that you have the problem to overcome in finding drag strips that cannot be intimated by the N.H.R.A.

In the past if you even thought about running an A.H.R.A. event at a drag strip you might find yourself in trouble.

Rod called me because I had an A.H.R.A. decal I was selling at the time because the name had been abandoned which means it was no longer being used. Once he purchased the right to the Trademark he asked me to stop selling it which I did.

I wish Rod and his partners all the luck in the world and what they are trying to do is a good thing and I hope it works.

Jimbo

8. Larry T

Larry T

There are more associations to run than NHRA/IHRA/AHRA???. Too bad they all seem to see each other as enemies/competition and can't get together with a general set of rules that would foster cooperation.

9. I for one relish the thought of an emerging of AHRA again, but hold out little hope. It would be nice though. I truly wish the promotor all the luck in the world. However, as to the past, he cannot use the "not my fault" answer. He and only he as the owner has the ultimate responsibility. It was he who hired Mr. Moe. That is cruel I know, but it is what it is.

Mr. Moe owes many of us..........................maybe Guido needs to visit Mr. Moe

10. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

11. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

Lots of answers under the FAQ section.

12. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

This is right now a big ol cluster ---- by people that "donut" have a clue!!!
    Classes for cars that are not around anymore
    No online rule book to see if any current cars fit the rules or classes provided
    All I see is joining a $50 "T-shirt" club.
    NoThankyou

13. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

There's a lot more info there. There's printed rule book (I ordered one) so we'll see. The first race date is 13 months from now.

What class of cars are not around anymore?

14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

If they are going by rule patterns from before the 80's, how is pro comp going to work?? are they going with weight to cubes heads up, or are they going to be index? I dont know of any pre 80 rear engine dragsters built, are they planning to allow electronics?Post the damn book and class requirements first before you start schedualing races at least then you know what you are dealing with and can make changes before you etch the rules in stone. Sounds like a Banning deal where Andy started to design classes different from whats already out there before the track got built. I seriously think they have under estamated the amount of "PRODUCT" they have available. I am easy to contact and they can call me if they want to.

15. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

support your local small tracks
    put on some old style races

support EAGLE FIELD

Attached Files:

16. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

The FAQ's pages has your answer.

Question. Why did the AHRA use older classes in the rule book?

The AHRA's response on the page.

" The AHRA is dedicated to sportsman racing and we formulated our rule book to have our classes and requirements like it was in the mid to late 1970's when drag racing was affordable and safe and when everyone had a chance to race. We have made AHRA drag racing safe with our class and car requirements and affordable to anyone who wishes to participate in AHRA events".

<!-- -->

17. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Jiberish--- 3 point cages were still legal, no frame certs needed, no SFI tags on any componant. All this stuff adds trmendous expence to the sportsman racers. so how is this going to be any different than today??

I went to the website and read the whole thing. Understand that for the reincarnation of an entity one should not have to pay for information, that should be made available first in order to atract potential members.

Right now If you get 1000 people to sign up for $50 thats 50g for the cost of a websight and some "T"'s and the races are a year from now

18. magneto57

magneto57

No way........................rich

19. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Having a bad day are we?
    NHRA does'nt give their rules away for free so why should these guys?
    Since you have all these questions that no one on the HAMB can answer perhaps you should address them to someone here.
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
    http://ahramotorsports.com/ahracontact.php
    Have a nice day and a better tomorrow.

20. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The future of drag racing is suspect with the pullout of Ford and Castrol. NHRA actually pays ESPN to do a tape delay of qualifying and pro class final rounds.

If AHRA is to succeed (and I hope that they do), participants have to understand that it isn't a charity and that they have to step up to the plate and help pay the freight. One of the biggest gripes against NHRA is the fact that they are not reinvesting the profits to create a better show.

21. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

I would rather look at the new AHRA as positive.

Don't be such a

Attached Files:

22. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

The Outlaw tracks are the best thing ever to happen to Drag racing ! We are going to Riverdale this weekend for the nostalgia drags. COOLEST track ever!! Eagle field and Riverdale are the future of REAL drag racing !! FUCK NHRA !! support your OUTLAW TRACK !! Chris Lytle

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Amen! These small venues really struggle, and need our support! Even if you don't want to run a car, it's such fantastic racing that you shouldn't miss these small events!

24. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

You missed my point. Drag racing as a marketing tool no longer exists. AHRA has an opportunity to start a new business model that caters to the non-professional racer without massive sponsorship bucks. Outlaw drag strips are fine if they're run safely. However, if you build a car to a specific strip's rules, will you be limited to only run at that strip? I'd rather build a car that could be run at different venues under the same set of rules. AHRA has the possibilities of creating that opportunity.

I'll bet real money that once a couple of AHRA strips start operating, there will be some HAMB'ers that whine about entry fees, tech inspection, etc.

25. Foot Feed

Foot Feed
    from AK

Gee, the other sanctioning bodies started out smoothly too, right? :rolleyes:

26. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Build your car so you feel safe in it,If your local Outlaw track is fun and you can race with all your buddys, who cares about going somewhere else and have some JACKASS give his opinion on how "HE" thinks you car should have been built! We have protected ourselfs to death! now the lawyers and insurance companys rule us,hot rods should be very fast and a little bit dangerous!! after all!, none of us are going to get out of this life alive!! Hell or Heaven ain't half full !! Chris

27. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Wrong, anybody can get on to NHRA web page and go to the Heritage series and click on the rules which breaks down all the classes and the rules that pertains to each class FOR FREE.

As far as contacting them they dont even have a phone number listed, everthing by E-mail, so they could be running this deal out of a van.
    I new a magazine editor once that on a Sunday head over to an industrial park and hang a banner to an office building and take a picture to show in the mag to claim legit. Ran the mag out of his garage, mag is gone and I sill have 2 years left on my subcription.

28. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

I guess time will tell.

29. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Lawyers only sue when they have a client to represent, and that happens to be THE RACER or SPECTATOR. So its us that created this protective sociaity as some of us will not accept the fact we are to blame.

30. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

You are right, we are all to blame, ME included ! Chris