Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anglia gasser - project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasserx, Jan 14, 2013.

1. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

A dream is about to come through :D
    I have agreed to buy this Anglia:
    [​IMG]
    -sorry for the bad pic-

It will be built as a classic gasser, with this AWESOME car as inspiration:
    [​IMG]

I will probably need a huge amount of help to get there, but i sure will get there one day... :)
    Luckily for me the frame is already boxed, and has been set up for a chevy 350 motor mounts and with trans. The worst part is that i really dont know much about american engines and transmissions, so i need to start reading (a lot) and asking questions. Think i will start collecting parts right away so i have something to work on when i get the car home.

First thing i want to find is some rear wheels. Can someone tell me what kind of wheel dimension is used to get that awesome balloon look? Is it a 15x8?
    Tyre seem to be 33x10.5x15 from pictures i have seen (Spanish Fly).

Next thing is motor; at the moment i feel really helpless..haha, just know i need a 350.. Can i use any 350 on any TH350 transmission? What motor is a good one to start with? My thoughts is to get started with a pretty simple "sucker"...carburated with mild performance (just to learn how these things works). In the future i will upgrade something wilder, but im far from there right now...so i better keep it simple to start with.
    All i want is having fun :)

2. Alcopop

Alcopop

Hi there Gasserx, I'm in a similar situation here in australia about to build an anglia ute, there is hours of interesting reading on this forum,someone some where will be able to help.keep the updates coming ,I might even pinch a few ideas:)

3. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

Car is home :)
    I have also got some 15x8.5 slot mags from the 60s, just waiting for them to show up so i can mount some slicks on them. Then im going to measure up the rear to see where i go next. I will most probably change the rear axle for something a little more stronger, and im picking up a GM 10 bolt (8.5") that i might use.
    As soon as the rear is sorted im going to lift the body off to make the frame and axles ready before i start working on the body.
    I wonder if someone can tell me what they used to run in the front of these cars back in the days? I was thinking maybe the stock front can be used?

I have ordered parts for the engine too. It will be an 383 with Scat crank and rods, and forged pistons (complete rotating assembly). And the block is sent away for a new bore. Havent decided for the heads yet, but i`ll find something.
    Also looking for a tunnel ram with dual carb setup.

Here is one of my sons testing it :D

[​IMG]

4. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Sounds like a cool project.

Post pictures as the project moves forward so we can all follow along and see how it is coming.

We have on guy hear in Florida who drives his on the street with a super charger on a small block Chevy. Wild looking ride for sure.

Best of luck Jimbo

5. sololobo

sololobo

Priceless smile on your cutie sons face, he's hooked! Good luck with a sweet project. ~sololobo~

6. alaska2stroke

alaska2stroke

This Anglia is for sale in Anchorage Alaska.

Attached Files:

7. captmullette

captmullette

sounds like a good build, welcome to the hamb, you will get all the help you need here, subscribed......

8. 34hemipu

34hemipu

Hey ! PM me , I built a 48 over the last few years . Might be able to help . Mike
    [​IMG]

9. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

Thanks guys!

Here is some more pics...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Hell yeah. Anglias are badass.

11. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

This car is Bitchin!! Congrats on the new Anglia project. Good luck, make sure it hauls ass when you finish it:cool:

12. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

Great project! Also subscribed and also have a '48 Anglia project in the works as well. Except mine is a total piece of crap and I am strapped for money. Ha! Doesn't sound like a good proeject huh?

Keep those updates coming. There are a few Anglia guys on here that have some great ideas.

Not sure if you are on Facebook or not, but I have a group on there dedicated to these cars. Check it out if you need some more inspiration:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/395457667189035/

13. Looks like a good start. Good luck with it. I'm a little partial to them as well.

14. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

Thanks guys! I will update as i progress :)

I dont find your facebook group DuckusCrapus..? Any "name" i can searh for ?

15. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

It is titled "All Things Anglia".

16. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

Thanks, im in!!

17. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

18. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

Been a while since last update..sorry 'bout that!
    Here is some pics and a litle bit about whats going on:

I was lucky and did a good buy on a set of MT Medallions on ebay, im very happy with them:
    [​IMG]

Stock front axle was considered to be used in the beginning, but i ditched that idea, and a new custom straight axle with new brakes etc is on its way and should be here any day now:
    [​IMG]

The rear axle that was already fitted was to short for my wheel/tire setup on stock frame, and its also a little bit weak, so that is removed and will be replaced by a GM 10-bolt (if im not lucky and find a cheap 9" over here).
    [​IMG]

Got me a set of nice carbs too :D Will look tits on top of a tunnel ram..
    [​IMG]

Parts-bonanza.. wheels, tires, stroker crank, forged pistons, rods ++ and an old 6-71 showed up in the spring:
    [​IMG]

Well...these tires are a little bit too big for my friends bug :D
    [​IMG]

So we mounted them on to the MT`s instead..
    [​IMG]

And tried to line them up in the back of the Ford. Just need to massage some fenders, and this will look just perfect.
    [​IMG]

Also splitted the body and frame to do some more:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have started to sand down the outside of the body, and put some rust-protection on here and there, but still lots to do on it. Luckily not too much rust.

Next up is to have a friend cut some lexan-windows and collect various other parts.

One of the things i have seen made, but not been able to find yet, is fiberglass rearfenders > stock width, but bigger radius. Also want to have an fiberglass front, but there is now way i will find one in Norway, and i guess they cost a f!"#"#¤ fortune to ship from USA or UK :(
    I am also thinking about making a new frame, but at the moment i havent decided anything..

I have also a freshly bored 0.30 SBC in my garage waiting to be cleaned out and built. Missing some details though...think i`ll buy ARP bolts for the whole thing, and also need gaskets and little bit of other small things.

Money is running away....Sponsor wanted.... haha :D

19. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

Great progress!!! You also have aquired some tastey parts. My project is slow moving and money hungry as well. Nice to see you posting some updates.

DC

20. carryallman

carryallman

if you use any fiberglass ? GET IT FROM -"GRIZ BEAR "he hjas some nice parts /also the hd or lite weight stuff plus his bolts together like stock ! good luck

21. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

Not much progress... still working on the body. Was limping around for a few weeks with a f**d up ankle too (15 years since the last time i tried a skateboard...you figure the rest..)

Got a straight axle for it. Nice piece! Complete with spindles, brakes, springs etc..
    [​IMG]

And for you Anliga and Pop lovers...., i just bought one more! :D

[​IMG]

22. AngryAnglia

AngryAnglia

Congratulations on starting your Anglia project! They are awesome little cars. Mine should be ready for paint in a couple of months (I need to upload some recent photos). I set up a tube axle for the front of mine too. It's really the only way to get something narrow enough that will accept disc brakes. What spring set up are you planning to use?

23. best2923

best2923
    from north Id

Gassers rule make it go like hell.

24. ...a local guy here is having a 48 Anglia built with a blown 392 Hemi!...no pics yet but will try to get some.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  25. 10secterror

10secterror

Where did you get the straight axle for it? Complete with spindles, brakes, springs??

And what width?

26. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

Im using a transverse spring, similar to the stock setup. Got it from Speedway, i think its the narrowest they have, costed around $40-50.

Axle is from Fast Times Rods, very good work.
    Dont remember the width at the moment, but i can meassure when i get back from vacation (3 weeks).

Found this last week, and could not possibly resist...so now there are 3 Fords in the family!
    [​IMG]

27. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

3xAnglias?:)
    Looking good, keep up the progress:)
    We need more gassers in SVDA!:)

K

Taildragger&fenderless

28. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

Yeah, i had to get em while they where available and still at a nice price :cool:
    Will try got get at least one of them street legal.

The first Ford is still in progress and is on the priority list though. Finally found someone that can make a super nice cleaning of my block. He work in the army at the Leopard service "shop" :D Guess my block will be good if its good engnough for the Leo engines.

29. choprodz

choprodz

How about some more pics of the front axle set up as. Getting ready to do the same kinda build and watching this thread pretty close. Thanks!! Rob

30. magneto57

magneto57

Love it.................rich