Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Those guys probably did not know the exact production number back then either. Like stated, only the records stand as conclusive.

I do however find it interesting though, another account of a car rolling out of DST with the headers in cardboard in the trunk.
    This is not the first time I've heard this, however never first hand from an actual purchaser/owner.
    There could be confusion with the lightweights or some other FMC program racing car.
    Tom S. in Tn.

2. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

The hi-riser out of the Hippodrome car was changed to a single carb and went in a full size stock car that was raced on circle tracks in the Mid South.
    I understand the still new 2X4 manifold showed up in a barn in later years.
    The Fairlane had a 390 or something put in it and was driven on the street.
    Tom S. in Tn.

3. frankie3555

frankie3555
    from Leeds, Al

I used to live in Littleton, Colo in the 60's and went to several drag races in the area. Once..maybe at the Mile High Nat's I saw a father son team running what I believe was a turqoise Thunderbolt named My Fair Lady and a 67 Cyclone with a SOHC 427 painted metalflake red called Frivolous II. I think the t-bolt was A/MP and the Cyclone B/MP. I found this pic of Frivolous I sponsored by a Denver based auto body shop. Anyone know any more or seen pics of these cars?[​IMG]

4. wool1962

wool1962
    from australia

Not trying to change history here,

5. wool1962

wool1962
    from australia

100 cars were built and accounted for, as per nhra regulations to run the super stock classes. I just think that with a huge dealer network over the us, and a lot had performance divisions, once word got out that ford were building these factory drag cars, who would not want one. It's not what you know, it's who you know sometimes, that can make things Happen.

6. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

As far as I know, the Phil Bonner 64 Fairlane HT with a 427 was the only stray. It wasn't built by DST and I wouldn't consider it as a Thunderbolt.

7. This is true and I agree. Most guys who wanted to go fast in 1964 with a FE and decided to do it on their own chose the Falcon. There were several built besides the factory efforts of Bonner and Brannan. NHRA was funny back then too. I could be wrong but I think in order to run Super Stock you had to have a factory built car where the VIN matched what the manufacturer provided for that package. What I mean is back then you couldn't take a 6 cylinder car and convert it to a 427.

NHRA required 100 cars, Ford built 100 cars to be legal. I sort of think it was about the "name" guys anyway. Ford built 100 so guys like Bonner, Ronda, Leal and Brannan could compete in SS. The little guy winning at the local level in a T-bolt was just icing on the cake.

8. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

This is a car I'm not sure on. A member told me it was a privately built car built mid 60s and ran a SOHC 427 and was not a Thunderbolt. But then this pic came along and it appears to possibly have an aluminum front bumper. It was mentioned that it may have been the Hi-Risers car.

Attached Files:

• 70.jpg
      70.jpg
      File size:
      50.3 KB
      Views:
  9. It's a "real" car but I forget which one. Dennis K. told me and I have forgotten. You may be correct with the Hi-Risers as both were from the Detroit area.

10. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

To keep it simple, here's the way I store my info. Pretty well all as far as Thunderbolts and related Fairlanes go.

62-63 developmental/prototypes

64 Thunderbolts (100 cars built in 3 runs)

64 Fairlane 427 HT Phil Bonner HM built

64 Andy Hotton Ent. Fairlane (small block car built for BFX & CFX later conv to 427)

65 Darrell Droke Fairlane/Thunderbolt??

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  11. wool1962

wool1962
    from australia

Thanks 64 cyclone, troublemaker on your valued imput into this thread. You guys know a lot more on this subject that I ever will. Everyone has their own idea as to the total numbers on the t/ bolts, let's leave it at that. Keep the thread moving with information and pictures on the legendary thunderbolts. The best factory drag car ever built ( in my opinion )

12. frankie3555

frankie3555
    from Leeds, Al

Do any of you Texans remember seeing this 427 Model A raced by Tbolt driver Bob Tinkle? It was around 66-68 can't remember, could this be the 427 that was in the Tbolt? I saw it a couple times, seems like it ran in the low 11's[​IMG]

13. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Why the ?? on the Droke 65 T-Bolt. Real Deal DST car

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Since my house was owned by the owners of Delta Ford from 1959 to some time in the '70s or '80s, I think it's only appropriate I find a photo of this car to hang in the (1965-built) garage. Anyone have one of its '60s livery?

15. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

The Fugitive sponsored by Bridenthal Ford and driven by Skip Wilson shown here at Dragway 42 in 1964.

[​IMG]

16. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

17. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

This is a repost of the Doenges Ford Thunderbolt driven by Burl Hawkins. Originally posted on thread 2605, it was removed for some reason.

[​IMG]

18. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Thanks, Kentuckian, I don't believe I've seen that one before. Of course, my memory isn't what it used to be either.

Kevin

19. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Anyone have a picture of Ray Paquet running the 8.55@154 pass in his 64 T-Bolt this past weekend in SS/A...........Al

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

Wow, there's a name from the past. I remember Ray marching through the field in a '66-7 Fairlane, Spring Nationals in Columbus, had to be around '77 or so. I think he won it that year. I'd love to see footage of his T-bolt.

21. tbolt64804

tbolt64804

Man I'm at Witzen, cant't find anything new to post about T-Bolts. I've been calling people and searching the web; nothin ? I've tried to contact a local guy who was part of a team who purchased the #95 car from Bob Balderson(Farnham Ford), and I've hit a dead end. Goodgrief.!
    Jim

22. 65COMET

65COMET

The T-Bolt that Phil Featherston owns was on display at last weekends CHRR! There were three tribute T-Bolts in competition in A/FX. ROY.

23. loudbang

loudbang

Awesome a must add to the bucket list.

1947knuck likes this.
  24. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Ran across this older photo while surfing the internet. Anyone know if this one started life as a real Thunderbolt?

[​IMG]

25. powrshftr

powrshftr

I agree about the vin numbers matching the engine.Ford later went so far as to equip the '68 428CJ Mustangs with a do or data plate that said one engine,an under hood vin that said another engine,and I believe that last number was on either the body buck tag,or the ownership.
    The idea was,if you were running a 390,you show them one number,a 428 Police Interceptor,show them another,and a428CJ,show them that corresponding number.It allowed the cars to get around goofy rules,and run in a variety of SS classes depending on the owner's budget and/or choice of engine.
    The NHRA could be a weird place back then.....not as bad as it is now,but still pretty weird...lol

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

26. japar

japar
    from Seekonk Ma

Len Richter in the Bob ford T-Bolt up against Dyno Don in Detroit 1965

Attached Files:

27. japar

japar
    from Seekonk Ma

Can anyone EYE DEE these last two T-bolts the first one is Butch Leal

Attached Files:

28. japar

japar
    from Seekonk Ma

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  29. The December 2013 issue of Modified Mustangs & Fords magazine has 5 pages of coverage from the 2013 FE Race and Reunion. We even made the cover!!! The magazine is now available on newstands. Rod Short did a great job on the article and has included some awesome photos.

This is the latest in a ton of coverage that the event obtained.

First Bangshift.com gave us great online coverage:
    http://bangshift.com/blog/action-ga...-and-reunion-blue-oval-horsepower-heaven.html

Then Jim Amos and Bee on video came out with a killer DVD:
    http://beeonvideo.homestead.com/FE427.html

And now the magazine coverage in Modified Mustangs and Ford.

Next year will be even bigger and better. We hope to see you all there on April 25 & 26 2014. Spread the word, word of mouth is the best advertising!!

Check this link out for all of the coverage from last year to get you through the winter!!
    http://www.fairlanet.com/FE/2013-info

Thanks again to everyone who attended and made this possible. A big thanks goes out to Barry R and Survival Motorsport for his great support and commitment for next year.

Thanks