Register now to get rid of these ads!

More info on this car and style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cb1, Aug 19, 2013.

1. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

Hello all,

I saved this picture from here some time ago, thanks to whomever posted it and I take no credit because for it.

I really like the black roadster in the left side of the picture. The one with the redhead as copilot.

And I also really like the style of the car and am concidering its styling when I do my 26.

Any better pictures or information on the car would greatly be appreciated.

Also, period details of how/what was the car built with and from, etc..

Thanks,

cb1

Attached Files:

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I always thought it was a cool one too. It is very typical 70's fad car construction, wire wheels in front and no brakes. Not the most practical setup, especially in 2013 standards, but it fit the time period pretty well.

Don

3. Lurk king

Lurk king

I'm no expert but nothing in that picture says 70's to me.
    My guess more like 1967 or so. And judging by some of the other rods present a Early Times car club so.cal. gathering of some sort?
    It looks pretty rad in that pic. I would also like to see more detailed shots of it.
    Good luck.

4. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I think it is a Hot Rod or Rod N Custom picture. Should be able to find more information on it.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup, the famous June 1967 Early Times R&C cover shoot, Tony Smiths '27 T roadster, IIRC, I think it got ink in Car Craft around that time, maybe someone will come up with the article. I wouldn't really call it typical fad car construction, it was built on '32 rails with the frame horns bobbed off and the tubing crossmember and bulldog perch added. Not sure if it actually is, but that front axle has a Kent Fuller look about it as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  6. Lurk king

Lurk king

I just look at the pic. againe and for sure the gentleman with his back to the camera leaning on the red 32 roadster is wearing a Early Times c.c. Jacket and it also appears the man standing beside the black "T" in question is also wearing one.
    They are still an active club and a quick "google" shows they have a website
    http://earlytimescarclubsocal.com/
    I would shoot them a e-mail and see what you can dig up. maybe it was featured in a mag back then?
    Keep us in the loop.

7. Lurk king

Lurk king

Nice one FG. Nailed it while I was just typing away with pointless speculation.
    And a magnifying glass. Haha.

8. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

I went to the early times site and there is another picture of the car, however, its part of a slide show (the last pic) and I can't grab it. Shows a little more of the side view. The tagline for the picture covers the rear tire/wheel until it goes to the next pic. I am liking the car even more now.

I guess, I will send them a email and see if they will let me see a few more pictures of it.

Thanks Lurk King for the lead...

cb1

9. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Here's a screen grab of the shot. Doesn't show much. The Early Times CC has a mid-winter rod run that I've been to a couple of times. A lot of neat cars show up!

Attached Files:

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Mazooma probably has more info on this car.

11. 117harv

117harv

Another shot, no people, came from a 1970 pictorial mag.

Attached Files:

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I pm'ed Mazooma, he came up empty. Probably about the only car in that photo he doesnt have info on. I'd like to know more about it as well, especially that front axle.

13. Lurk king

Lurk king

Hummm..... The search continues.
    I can't seem to shake this car from my mind as well.

It's pretty hard to make out from the tiny image but I'm betting on a V8 60 for the front axle.

Doesn't help any but one more of the same just for fun.
    June 76 cover ofR&C

[​IMG]

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Nope on the v8-60. Its not large enough diameter, and the "smile" isnt right.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  16. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

Thanks for the help guys.

I did shoot an email to early times. No response yet. Some mighty narrow bike tires on the front. Would really like to get the specs on this car. Hopefully something will pop up on it.

Thanks again, cb1.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If you hear anything, make sure to post it. I look forward to hearing more...